Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

WiiU button layout

Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zohar

Am I the only one scratching his head over the layout of the thumbsticks relative to the buttons?  Directly above them.  Did anyone at Nintendo put any thought into that?  It's really not a natural or ergonomic place.  I can't see how an FPS game could be played like that, but maybe I'm just being nit picky.  The PS3 and 360 controllers have the four face buttons at an offset, which I find to be a more natural position.

Speaking of which, do we even know if the "new controller" design is even finalized?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By FreakAche

I definitely noticed that too, and I think it's a really bad design. I made a thread about it a little while ago.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wrighteous86

Most people that have been hands-on with the controller say that it's surprisingly comfortable with that layout due to the position of your hands and the size of the controller. The best way I can visualize it is looking at the sides of the controller; they go straight up and down, like a DVD case. 360 and PS3 controllers rest in your hands on an angle, which put your hands in a different orientation.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Yeah, looks fuckin' awful. And the tiny buttons, the fuckin' analog pads. Honestly, the whole thing looked awful.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Yeah, looks fuckin' awful. And the tiny buttons, the fuckin' analog pads. Honestly, the whole thing looked awful.

And yet, pretty much everyone that's reported using it has said it feels just fine.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Hailinel: I know, but I'm waiting till I can be sure they aren't saying "hey this isn't worse than the 3DS."

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

It's like jacking your nuts and wondering what your penis is. Crazy shit. I'm there.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hailinel

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Hailinel: I know, but I'm waiting till I can be sure they aren't saying "hey this isn't worse than the 3DS."

...The 3DS controls are actually pretty good.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Th3_James

@Hailinel said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

...The 3DS controls are actually pretty good.

Yeah, I was suprised how much I like that little analog nub on the 3ds and feels good in my hands.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Hailinel: Yeah, it feels good. But I would EASILY take a proper analog stick over the nub ANY day.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Hailinel: Yeah, it feels good. But I would EASILY take a proper analog stick over the nub ANY day.

Why? They do the same thing and the pad on the 3DS feels comfortable as is.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Hailinel: I feel like the movement on the nub is a bit off, and not just in a "need to get used to it" kind of way. I can't really describe it, but I don't like it as much as an analog stick. It's better than the PSP nub but still not fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.