Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Battle Arena Toshinden Wii - Trailer

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Takara Tomy have released a trailer for Battle Arena Toshinden Wii.

Battle Arena Toshinden

Never liked the Sony PS games...

No Caption Provided

Thanks to Gamekyo
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Just as bad as the old games were for their time. Nice to see they keep the tradition going.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Godwind

I didn't hear of the series until watching some old Gamespot video about the playstation.  I remember Jeff saying he played the japanese version and thought "wow, this game kicks ass" until it was released in the states.  Than saying "even though this game sucked, Tekken was coming".  Both games were meant to be competitors to Virtua Fighter.  I still prefer Virtua Fighter over Tekken.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

why does that one fighter look like a smaller gungrave?
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Willy105

I remember when the first one came out on the first Playstation.

It was pretty impressive graphically, but once the N64 came out with good 3D graphics, and the Playstation came out with great 2D games, all that was left was a bad fighter.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

No, it wasn't impressive even for its time. Awful franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

So, a new Tekken and a new Toshinden. This is just like the old days.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Godwind
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " So, a new Tekken and a new Toshinden. This is just like the old days. "
    And people still forgetting about Virtua Fighter 5.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Godwind said:
    " @atomic_dumpling said:
    And people still forgetting about Virtua Fighter 5. "
    Virtua Fighter 5 has been out for... what? Two years? Three years? I don't see why it should still be on most people tongues. Besides, it may be deep and balanced, but that doesn't take away from the fact that its boring as hell. I play my copy for about an hour then realise that I would much rather be playing Tekken or KOF.

As for this new BAT game- no Ten Count, no sale. Other than the name, what in the hell does this have to do with the series? All I see is anime bullshit. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

I like the character designs. A lot. But I can see how the gameplay may be suspect

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Emilio

It looks like a compilation of Japanese animes.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r said:
    Just as bad as the old games were for their time. Nice to see they keep the tradition going.
    The old games had the virtue of having cutting edge graphics for the time, sort of a Crysis situation going on.  The first game had better shadows than this new Toshiden has on Wii, so this version has no such distinction.  Just about everyone was deceiving themselves into thinking the first Toshiden was great when it came out.  Just a few years later I played the game again and I realized how god awful those controls were.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Jeust

Nooooooooooo where are the fighter from the other games of the franchise???  

I actually liked the toshinden games. Now a complete remake mixed with an anime style. 

This isn't toshinden :(

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Randolph

I don't understand the logic in bringing back this series, now, on this system.  The only response i can muster up is..... why?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @Diamond said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

The old games had the virtue of having cutting edge graphics for the time, sort of a Crysis situation going on.  The first game had better shadows than this new Toshiden has on Wii, so this version has no such distinction.  Just about everyone was deceiving themselves into thinking the first Toshiden was great when it came out.  Just a few years later I played the game again and I realized how god awful those controls were. "
    You're joking, right?

Also, I'd just like to say that the most experience I had with Toshinden was the Game Boy version, which you can imagine played nothing like the Playstation titles.  It was fun, but stupidly simple and of course no one else I knew had a cartridge, so I couldn't play multiplayer on it.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#16  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Ugh.  Toshinden was a terrible series.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond
    @Hailinel said:
    You're joking, right?  Also, I'd just like to say that the most experience I had with Toshinden was the Game Boy version, which you can imagine played nothing like the Playstation titles.  It was fun, but stupidly simple and of course no one else I knew had a cartridge, so I couldn't play multiplayer on it. "
    Absolutely not joking, why would you even think that?  Yea I'd played the Gameboy version too, not even a remotely similar experience.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
    @Diamond said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    You're joking, right?  Also, I'd just like to say that the most experience I had with Toshinden was the Game Boy version, which you can imagine played nothing like the Playstation titles.  It was fun, but stupidly simple and of course no one else I knew had a cartridge, so I couldn't play multiplayer on it. "
    Absolutely not joking, why would you even think that?  Yea I'd played the Gameboy version too, not even a remotely similar experience. "
    The graphics in Crysis were hyped to hell and back several times over, thanks to the internet.  No such hype for Toshinden existed.

That being said, it looks like Takara Tomy is taking things in a completely different direction with this new game.  None of the original characters are in it, and it appears to be a new setting.  The combat is obviously disconnecting itself from anything resembling Tekken or Virtua Fighter.  For all intents and purposes, the game is really Toshinden only in name, aside from the fact that it's a weapon-based fighting game.  As for why the Wii, Tomy's Naruto fighting games on the GameCube and Wii have been fairly successful sellers as far as I know, so maybe that's the audience they're going for.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By AgentJ
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Diamond said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Absolutely not joking, why would you even think that?  Yea I'd played the Gameboy version too, not even a remotely similar experience. "
    The graphics in Crysis were hyped to hell and back several times over, thanks to the internet.  No such hype for Toshinden existed.  That being said, it looks like Takara Tomy is taking things in a completely different direction with this new game.  None of the original characters are in it, and it appears to be a new setting.  The combat is obviously disconnecting itself from anything resembling Tekken or Virtua Fighter.  For all intents and purposes, the game is really Toshinden only in name, aside from the fact that it's a weapon-based fighting game.  As for why the Wii, Tomy's Naruto fighting games on the GameCube and Wii have been fairly successful sellers as far as I know, so maybe that's the audience they're going for. "
    They sold well because they are some of the only decent anime fighting games ever. Seriously, I'm no Naruto fan, but those are some fun fighting games they have made
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Diamond
    @Hailinel said:
    The graphics in Crysis were hyped to hell and back several times over, thanks to the internet.  No such hype for Toshinden existed.
    It was all about gaming magazines and word of mouth with Toshinden.  Every game magazine I read at the time was saying how great the game was, it would have been probably ~90% metacritic by today's standards.  There was definitely game hype before the internet, it just wasn't as uniform or widespread.

@Hailinel said:
    That being said, it looks like Takara Tomy is taking things in a completely different direction with this new game.  None of the original characters are in it, and it appears to be a new setting.  The combat is obviously disconnecting itself from anything resembling Tekken or Virtua Fighter.  For all intents and purposes, the game is really Toshinden only in name, aside from the fact that it's a weapon-based fighting game.  As for why the Wii, Tomy's Naruto fighting games on the GameCube and Wii have been fairly successful sellers as far as I know, so maybe that's the audience they're going for.
    Yea, it's definitely not 'Toshiden' anymore.  I don't know if there's any merit to what they're making, and straying from the traditional 2D or 3D fighting game mechanics has always been discouraged by most of the gaming community.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @Diamond said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    It was all about gaming magazines and word of mouth with Toshinden.  Every game magazine I read at the time was saying how great the game was, it would have been probably ~90% metacritic by today's standards.  There was definitely game hype before the internet, it just wasn't as uniform or widespread.

@Hailinel said:
    Yea, it's definitely not 'Toshiden' anymore.  I don't know if there's any merit to what they're making, and straying from the traditional 2D or 3D fighting game mechanics has always been discouraged by most of the gaming community. "
    Then again, maybe Toshinden needs a clean break to regain its relevance.  No one certainly seems to take the old games seriously anymore.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Diamond said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

The old games had the virtue of having cutting edge graphics for the time, sort of a Crysis situation going on.  The first game had better shadows than this new Toshiden has on Wii, so this version has no such distinction.  Just about everyone was deceiving themselves into thinking the first Toshiden was great when it came out.  Just a few years later I played the game again and I realized how god awful those controls were. "
    I thought they looked pretty bad back then too. Virtua Fighter 2 came out the same year and was miles better, while Toshinden 2 later didn't even come close to it. The Toshinden games were waaaay too slow also. Visually the first didn't look much beyond the first Virtua Fighter which was out a year earlier and was probably (one of?) the first 3D fighter(s). Maybe it had better lighting. Virtua Fighter was faster and more fluid than Toshinden. I had no idea the franchise was praised for anything, even something as superficial as the visuals, I thought it was mediocre in every way.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

I never play any of these games, but judging by some of the responds, it was a pretty obscure series. 

Now, if it's possible for a company to bring back an obscure fighting game series, then maybe there's hope for a new Bloody Roar game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well, I dug out an old  german magazine (Video Games, issue 1/96) which includes reviews of both Virtual Fighter 2 (Sega Saturn) and Toshinden S (Sega Saturn). Let's take a look-see.

VF2 get's 90% (back then 90+ still meant something). The reviewer praises the graphics, saying they are "fantastically animated" , there are no flickering sprites or other glitches (p. 37). Apparently it ran at 60 FPS which was quite impressive in 1996.

Now, Toshinden S gets "only" 86%. Sadly, the reviewer talks a lot about the differences between the PSX and the Saturn version and says next to nothing about the game itself (p. 86). According to this, the Saturn version is technically worse, but has a new character (Cupido) and quicker Quick-Kicks and Quick-Slashes (whatever that might be).

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r said:
    I thought they looked pretty bad back then too. Virtua Fighter 2 came out the same year and was miles better, while Toshinden 2 later didn't even come close to it. The Toshinden games were waaaay too slow also. Visually the first didn't look much beyond the first Virtua Fighter which was out a year earlier and was probably (one of?) the first 3D fighter(s). Maybe it had better lighting. Virtua Fighter was faster and more fluid than Toshinden. I had no idea the franchise was praised for anything, even something as superficial as the visuals, I thought it was mediocre in every way.
    No doubt arcade stuff looked way better back then, arcades still had the best looking games around.  Nothing on consoles or PC could rival arcade hardware until Model 3 was old.  To me Toshiden was definitely the best looking fighting game you could have in the home when it was new.  Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn a bit later was a decent port, and it looked very good, in different ways.  Toshiden had lots of nice gouraud shading and transparency effects, and Toshinden 2 did add some primitive lighting and more dynamic shadow techniques.  VF2 on Saturn was all about the 60Hz, higher resolution rendering, and sharp character textures.

The first Toshinden was extremely highly praised when it was new, but it seemed reviewers were so enamored by the graphics they overlooked the gameplay.  The gameplay wasn't all bad, it was simple and accessible, in fact it was the first fighting game to teach me simple Street Fighter move motions such as down to front attack.  After a few years when the newness of the graphics had worn off it was plain to see how poor the controls were, which is probably the games biggest fault.  The controls are very unresponsive, extremely stiff and seem to have a lot of latency.

By the time VF2 was out on Saturn though reviewers generally praised that game even higher, and old Toshinden 1 & 2 were quickly forgotten and Toshinden never made a major splash again.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By trophyhunter

what the fuck was that it doesn't even have any of the original charaters?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Godwind

@MysteriousBob said:

" @Godwind said:

" @atomic_dumpling said:
    And people still forgetting about Virtua Fighter 5. "
    Virtua Fighter 5 has been out for... what? Two years? Three years? I don't see why it should still be on most people tongues. Besides, it may be deep and balanced, but that doesn't take away from the fact that its boring as hell. I play my copy for about an hour then realise that I would much rather be playing Tekken or KOF.  "
    Probably because you try to mash buttons to win.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.