Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Best controller for SNES VC games (Chrono Trigger, for instance)?

Lotus_Flower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lotus_Flower

Classic OR Classic Controller Pro OR the hard-to-get-if-you're-North-American-so-I-don't-know-why-I'm-mentioning-it SNES controller from the EU Club Nintendo?

Thoughts?

I was planning on buying the Classic Controller Pro for my play through of Chrono Trigger, ALTTP, Super Mario World and other SNES classics. Good plan?

No Caption Provided
    Lotus_Flower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Lotus_Flower

Here is the Club Nintendo controller I referred to:

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shaunk

@Lotus_Flower said:

No Caption Provided

That looks amazing. How can I get that?

Also it is really dumb that you cannot play SNES games with the wii remote and the Nunchuck add on. That is just an arbitrary rule making people go buy their controller. I was going to buy FF3(FF6) for the SNES VC a couple of weeks ago and realized I have no controller to play it with. Which sucks, because I never got very far in that game.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

@MasturbatingestBear said:

@Lotus_Flower said:

That looks amazing. How can I get that?

Also it is really dumb that you cannot play SNES games with the wii remote and the Nunchuck add on. That is just an arbitrary rule making people go buy their controller. I was going to buy FF3(FF6) for the SNES VC a couple of weeks ago and realized I have no controller to play it with. Which sucks, because I never got very far in that game.

There's one for $88 on PlayAsia.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shaunk
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Oh baby, I NEED that controller!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Just play it on PC man. There is no such thing as a PC that can't run a SNES emulator.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

How would you actually play it?

Wii Remote + Nunchuk = A, B, C, Z buttons, 1, 2 Buttons, a D-pad, and an analogue stick.

Classic controller = A, B, X, Y buttons, L/R, ZL/ZR shoulder buttons, a D-pad, two analogue sticks.

Tell me how playing an SNES game would make sense on the Wii Remote/Nunchuk setup.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shaunk

Oh right, I also have multiple gameube controllers but that is not the ideal way to play FF6. Dang.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shaunk

@Hailinel said:

Wii Remote + Nunchuk = A, B, C, Z buttons, 1, 2 Buttons, a D-pad, and an analogue stick.

Classic controller = A, B, X, Y buttons, L/R, ZL/ZR shoulder buttons, a D-pad, two analogue sticks.

Tell me how playing an SNES game would make sense on the Wii Remote/Nunchuk setup.

The buttons add up. It wouldn't be ideal for plenty of experiences but for a lengthy RPG it would work fine having A and B be two of the face buttons, and C and Z being the other two. While L and R can be 1 and 2. For a game like FF6 that is a totally reasonable format.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@Hailinel said:

The buttons add up. It wouldn't be ideal for plenty of experiences but for a lengthy RPG it would work fine having A and B be two of the face buttons, and C and Z being the other two. While L and R can be 1 and 2. For a game like FF6 that is a totally reasonable format.

But they wouldn't add up for every game. Virtual Console emulation emulates the console controls the same way for every game. What might work for Final Fantasy VI would be completely ridiculous for Super Mario World.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463

I too am wondering how the pro controller feels, as it looks ungodly uncomfortable. I recently bought a Wii and about 10-15 games, so I'm sure at least one of them will feel uncontrollably awkward with the Wii-mote/nunchuck.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dalai

Since I own both, it really comes down to personal preference. If you want the closest feeling to a SNES controller, go with the Classic. If you prefer modern controllers over the old-school ones, go with the Pro. It's pretty lightweight, almost feels flimsy compared to the 360 or PS3 controllers, but it's very comfortable.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ChaosDent

I prefer the Pro to the classic controller. The main difference is the handles and the position of the Z buttons, which aren't used in SNES games. The D Pad and face buttons are excellent on both controllers and the Pro controller has simple digital L and R buttons instead of Gamecube style 2 stage analog triggers.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

Not to get off topic, but it surprises me Nintendo left the Gamecube Controller to die. A lot of people loved that controller. I have one for my Wii. It still feels great in my hands. Sure, the "z" button kind of sucks, but I love the feel of that controller.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By ChaosDent
    @Claude: Agreed, the Gamecube controller was amazing for games that were designed around it, and I still like my Wavebird for Smash Brothers and N64 Virtual Console games on the Wii. It's not so good for SNES games.  

If I recall correctly, Nintendo did re-release either the wired GC controller or the Wavebird in Wii white shortly after the Wii was released, but Gamecube backwards compatibility is over for Nintendo now and the classic controllers are just more flexible for their Virtual Console titles.
    Lotus_Flower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lotus_Flower

No replies since this thread was moved? Unfortunate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.