Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Taito has revealed the first large screens of Bubble Bobble for Nintendo's WiiWare.

The downloadable version on Wii will follow the same simple gameplay that's made the series so addictive. Both Bub and Bob will return alongside two others for an all out 4 player bubble popping frenzy!  The game will feature over 400 stages (including a remake of the original), 4 player multiplayer support, and even optional packs to download.

Man I loved the original on NES, loved the 2 player action. I can only see this four player game being made of win.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

I love bubble bobble. That music brings back memories.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I never played the first, but I've heard good things. This is on my radar.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks
Arkthemaniac said:
"I never played the first, but I've heard good things. This is on my radar."

Dude, it's only 500 Wii Points and well worth it..

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Will1Lucky

I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Bubble Bobble will be popping over to the rest of the world it seems, according to one of the game's modes and rating.

Siliconera noticed that in one of the screens that it mentions world/global rankings - for the game's Wi-Fi sessions, virtually verifying a worldwide release.

German ratings board Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle has rated the title.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Looks like bubble bobble. I think I'll give it a miss. I used to love bubble bobble, but they've just been remaking the exact same game for 20 years.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
MattyFTM said:
"Looks like bubble bobble. I think I'll give it a miss. I used to love bubble bobble, but they've just been remaking the exact same game for 20 years."

It has over 400 stages and has 4 player support and online leader boards and DLC. They have never done that over the 20 years  : /

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Linkyshinks said:
"MattyFTM said:
"Looks like bubble bobble. I think I'll give it a miss. I used to love bubble bobble, but they've just been remaking the exact same game for 20 years."

It has over 400 stages and has 4 player support and online leader boards and DLC. They have never done that over the 20 years  : /
"
Yeah, but it's still the same game, just with added frills. I suppose you could say that you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig (not that bubble bobble is a pig, it's just old and repetitive, but you get the idea).
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Bubble bobble rocks, how many times have you actually bought a bubble bobble game in the last 20 years? I only played it in the arcades in its day and other than some rather old console ports I don't recall any meaningful release for it. Maybe it was in some retro compilations? Anyway, most people probably didn't play any of those, so it's a pretty sweet WiiWare release, especially with the four player mode and other updates (is that functional slopes I see?).

As for repetitive, meh, any game is, you do the same things over, and over with slight variations, usually in the form of different enemies, and bosses, from start to finish. Repetitive as a description doesn't say much about any game. Tedious, lackluster, plain, or whatever, does, but I don't think that applies to the bubble bobble formula.

How many times have we seen similar games released anyway? Other than the almost equally ancient Snow Bros and other such arcade titles, I don't think there have been platform games that offer this type of gameplay, or even similar to it. Even other platform games with 2-player modes like early Sonic titles are still far different, and the more modern a game the furtherst away from this formula it is, even if it's a platform game. Even its developers have abaonded it, despite the win its made of, and resorted to only creating puzzle bobble games with the franchise (WTF! I love puzzle bobble, but why no other BUBBLE bobble games until now D:)

All I'm worried about is the 400 levels, if they'll be all equally good or at least the majority of them, and with great bosses and introduction of new power ups, bubbles, and other environment variations. The original had 100 levels if I recall correctly, and I only remember one boss (but I might be mistaken). Maybe this one will have four? It would be nice to see more, perhaps every 50 levels instead of 100. Also, save is kind of a must. And maybe yo

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Agreed with matty as much as i like bubblebobble arcade i dont see a point in this, it might appeal to some but if i still had my wii i wouldn't buy it its just the same game thats been rererererereleased since the original bubblebobble.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By ThomasP

Dude, props on the music. I'll definitely be downloading this. 500 points is a great price.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

I wish I wasn't broke with all these games coming... It looks like good old fun. I have to say the player looks like a complete first timer though. It seems that he's not aware that falling on the bottom makes you show up at the top (even though the enemies constantly do it) or that you can bounce on bubbles and reach high places that way, or even that bursting all the enemies together gives bonuses. At least, not in the video I watched (the one with the remixed music intro you link to). Well, he'll learn or fail I suppose, many later levels require knowing all the tricks, at least in the 100 arcade originals which seem to be included.

Also, why did they decide to make the characters 3D anyway? It looks the same really, since they're so small, perhaps even a little weirder. Oh well, maybe it's looking better in person and with the proper size.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

I like the new character models, the look all pixel-ly and cute.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.