Has anyone noticed the neglect Wii gets around here?

• 108 results
coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coonana

Total lack of coverage, reviews, and articles and when they do review games they underrate them, almost always below the average. Its kinda disheartening. I know that this is a bad christmas with an obvious lack of games for Wii but even when the wii does have alot of games coming out they ignore it and down talk it.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By kush

I would say personally that there isn't much going on with the Wii as far as software goes right now, but that is just my opinion. Also, your statement that they underrate every Wii game is ridiculous. They are giving their honest opinion and if you don't like that then I feel sorry for you...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The wii doesn't get as many games that are appealing to the main audience of the site. They do cover the wii games that are usefull, but I don't think we need a wii music review from the giant bomb guys, do we?

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By atejas

Sonic Unleashed got a 7.5 on the Wii and PS2.
360 and PS3 versions got a 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If something happened with the Wii that mattered, I'm sure you'd see something about it.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kush

Also...the staff isn't anywhere near the size of many other sites out there. They are going to to do what is most relevant to their audience. When they look at the board traffic and see that the Wii gets significantly less traffic than the other consoles then it probably won't be a main focus compared to the 360/PS3. I'd rather they take their time and write up in depth, honest reviews...rather than just writing review and review and loads of previews etc.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Red

Oh noez! They haven't reviewed WiiMusic and Animal Crossing! Whatever will you do? Are you at an UTTER crossroads to decide whether to buy the game or not?

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coonana

Ok there is no point in posting if your just gonna bash the Wii. Just because specifically christmas has a terrible wii lineup it does not excuse the whole year.

Also Skate It was underrated feel sorry for me all you want but its true and Im not alone on that. Its caused quite an uproar in fact. Also its more than an opinion, its a representation of the game and they have not done that right on multiple occasions.
I understand the staff is limited but it does not look like they are gonna hire anybody but 360 rooter fanboys.

Dont get me wrong I love the 360 but I hate it when sites start going all hyper fanboy for one system but still claim to cover all the others. I mean seriously why dont they cut out the middle man and just make this a 360 fansite?

You cant deny they neglect the games they should be reviewing and its not just lack of games because they have done it all year and its not just lack of people because they could have evenly covered all systems instead of just going for the 360 with the occasional big release of a PS3 game and multiplats.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

I presume they'd cover the Wii were this a toy reviewing site. Feel the burn.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kush

There's no point listening to you anymore...you are essentially saying that someone's opinion is wrong when it's only an opinion. Opinion's aren't right or wrong, that is why they are called opinions. Maybe the Wii would have more of a presence here if you contributed and posted in the Wii forums etc...instead of just coming here to say "Your site sucks...your opinions are wrong...etc".

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ieatlions

mushroom men would be the only release that id want reviewed. This site i wouldnt consider for casual gamers and thats the wii's main target demographic so why schould they review a game like my fitness coach when no one on this site cares.

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Unreal_dro

what do you want them to do? Talk about Wii music 24/7?

therers a reason why the Hamburger forum is more active than the wii one
drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By drakesfortune

I'm sorry, but their lineup for the whole year was pretty much crap.  Off the top of my head I can't think of a game since Galaxy that interests me, and that was last year.  Personally, I hope they don't waste their time and effort on the Wii until something interesting comes along like whatever the new Zelda is whenever that's coming out.  Since Nintendo consoles have always been about first party efforts for me, it's pretty much dead to me now that it seems like all the effort is going into non-games like Wii-Fit and Wii-Music.

coonana said:
"

Ok there is no point in posting if your just gonna bash the Wii. Just because specifically christmas has a terrible wii lineup it does not excuse the whole year.

"

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By atejas
HandsomeDead said:
"I presume they'd cover the Wii were this a toy reviewing site. Feel the burn."
OH SNAP
Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Video_Tycoon

The only good thing this year were Brawl and Mario Kart, and they were out before the site started, so get over it and go to http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/ before we all kill you.  On another note, Thanks for being a dumbass!! =)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By get2sammyb

Actually, they do cover the Wii, it's just, they kinda only cover big announcements and stuff. GiantBomb's news works differently in that they cover what they consider to be most important. If Shigsy turned around and said "New Mario In March" it would get the headline banner on this site and pretty much all other multiformat sites.

It's just that Nintendo have had nothing this holiday season.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Endogene

I really would have liked to see a tatsunoku vs capcom review, that game rocks.

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coonana

I love how people are calling me dumbass and fanboy. It just reflects how well you understand what im saying which isnt much. Yes a review is an opinion but its also a representation of that game and when you do that bad then the review is bad. I dont know how much more I cant paint this for you. Its not just one review either.

If the only game that interested you was galaxy than you have limited interest and have ignored other big releases.

I am not a wii fanboy I really like the 360 as well. Besides this has nothing to do with my fan affiliations you immature punk.
Also I dont hate this site its call criticism to make it better.

Anything else you guys totally cant comprehend Ill put it down and show why your totally wrong later.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By get2sammyb
coonana said:
"I love how people are calling me dumbass and fanboy. It just reflects how well you understand what im saying which isnt much. Yes a review is an opinion but its also a representation of that game and when you do that bad then the review is bad. I dont know how much more I cant paint this for you. Its not just one review either.

If the only game that interested you was galaxy than you have limited interest and have ignored other big releases.

I am not a wii fanboy I really like the 360 as well. Besides this has nothing to do with my fan affiliations you immature punk.

Anything else you guys totally cant comprehend Ill put it down and show why your totally wrong later."
Well I bought Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii this year. Oh and I picked up a copy of Ghost Squad.

There wasn't much else was there?

I don't think you're a dumbass though -- in fact I kinda agree with what you're saying. They have certainly put a bigger focus into the PS3 and 360's library this year but I'm not sure whether that's through choice or whether Nintendo set themselves up for that... I mean I don't think a Giant Bomb review of say, Wii Music is entirely neccessary. And I know Jeff was definitely playing Animal Crossing.

Let's put this a different way: which games do you think they should have covered which they didn't?
John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By John

What should we talk about? Wii Music/Play/Fit/Resort? When the Wii gets real games (if ever), I shall share some support for the little white paperweight.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stevokenevo

Cater to your demographic.  This site is for people who are more than likely kinda obsessed with games.  I know i am, and im certainly not obsessed with the wii at the moment. 

The games that interest the 'general' GB crowd such as No More Heroes or Mad World have been discussed on this site so it isnt that the wii is neglected. 

And besides, if you want to learn about how fun wii music is or how amazing it is to play some family mario kart,...just watch the nintendo commercials on tv.  They dont lie, nintendo is the king of forced smiles!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22  Edited By Vinchenzo

Guess what, 98% of games on the Wii are shovelware. Get used to it. If you really want to read a review on Petz Monkeyz then check out IGN and their full written reviews.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Megalon
Vinchenzo said:
"Guess what, 98% of games on the Wii are shovelware. Get used to it. If you really want to read a review on Petz Monkeyz then check out IGN and their full written reviews."
Exactly. I as a Wii owner feel neglected by Nintendo and devs, because there hasn't been many reasons in the last year to even turn the damn thing on besides playing old NES/SNES games.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Endogene
John said:
"What should we talk about? Wii Music/Play/Fit/Resort? When the Wii gets real games (if ever), I shall share some support for the little white paperweight."
Wii sport resort is actually quite an interesting thing, well the add on it is build on actually. 1/1 sword fighting might be soon. Just replace that pencil with a dude and i will be overjoyed. Wii Fit is by no way bad but it is more of a life style  than a game so you cant really judge it as a game.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By weltal

Ummm, that may be because the guys don't like it that much. You do realize from the get-go they stated they're not going to be reviewing every game that comes out. They've made it pretty clear that they want to only review the games that they are interested in or games that are big within the industry. Sorry, but if you want great coverage for the Wii you won't find it here.

To quote the help section:

How Come You Don't Review Every Single Game That Comes Out? Are You Lazy?

Well, yeah, but the point is that Giant Bomb isn't interested in the fire-hose approach to video game coverage. Our editorial team is small and experienced, and our job is to highlight the stuff that we feel is significant, either to us on a personal level, or for video games at large. That's not everything, but it's still a lot. Though, we're not real big on sports games, so don't expect too much meaningful/informed Madden coverage.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By KamasamaK
coonana, if you're going to be so cocky about your point then you could at least cite some examples. What have they neglected that they should have covered? They may yet review Animal Crossing: City Folk, but with their limited staff I seriously don't know what else is worth their time that wasn't released a while ago. Also, they may not have stories or reviews for everything, but they have discussed things like Wii Music and Animal Crossing on the podcast plenty.
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Stevokenevo

does anyone think that the main issue (aside from shovelware) with 'hardcore' gamers and the wii is actually the control scheme.  Ive found that its possible to pick up and play games on the wii relatively easily and therefore its possible to have a good hour or so of fun with certain games.

However the controls just feel so inaccurate and even with practise it isnt possible to get really good at using them.  What im getting at is that when people want to get really good at a game, they dont want the controls to limit them (remember the crazy people who file their 360 dpad for better motion?). 

The whole 'next gen' concept for the wii was its control scheme and after I felt the potential in early games like warioware, I was hopeful.  But games dont seem to have progressed by utilising the controls, which to me makes the console feel really stale.  The whole motionplus idea makes me hopeful again, but i feel im just getting my hopes up again for no good reason.

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By coonana
get2sammyb said:
"coonana said:
"I love how people are calling me dumbass and fanboy. It just reflects how well you understand what im saying which isnt much. Yes a review is an opinion but its also a representation of that game and when you do that bad then the review is bad. I dont know how much more I cant paint this for you. Its not just one review either.

Anything else you guys totally cant comprehend Ill put it down and show why your totally wrong later."
Well I bought Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii this year. Oh and I picked up a copy of Ghost Squad.

There wasn't much else was there?

I don't think you're a dumbass though -- in fact I kinda agree with what you're saying. They have certainly put a bigger focus into the PS3 and 360's library this year but I'm not sure whether that's through choice or whether Nintendo set themselves up for that... I mean I don't think a Giant Bomb review of say, Wii Music is entirely neccessary. And I know Jeff was definitely playing Animal Crossing.

Let's put this a different way: which games do you think they should have covered which they didn't?"

I think part of it is through choice, probabaly most of it. Wii Music is a bad example. Though still they should have covered it because it is a big game for the year. But I guess more hardcore games are what your looking for. SO de Blob, No MOre Heroes, ShawnWhite Snowboarding, Mega Man 9, World of Goo, Tiger Woods 09 (some consider the best golf game ever), Blast Works, Animal crossing whether you like it or not its still a pretty good game and still has a lot of buzz even if its dissappointing, MLB Power Pros, Okami, Bully, a ton of Wiiware games, and more.
The count of wii games reviewed on this site are 8.

Besides that if they were supposed to review ONLY the good games that would be ridiculous because they have reviewed plenty of those for PS3 and 360.

This isnt even about that though its about the overall neglect. WHy represent a system then leave out to dry. I know you are not insulting me but many people are and it only shows the weakness of their own arguements.
Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gameboi

When you run any kind of business -- or website for that matter -- you have to keep your audience in mind. Since the majority of gaming sites are filled with (forgive the overused terminology) "hardcore gamers," you need to tailor your content to that audience.

Nintendo took things in a different direction this time, and while they were very successful at broadening their customer base, they designed a console that goes against what the hardcore gamer  wants. As a result, you may see the Wii get ridiculed, or even ignored on various sites around the net. Love it or hate it, it is what it is.

The audience that likes the Wii are not likely to be hopping online to talk about games and consoles with their online friends. They are more likely to be playing games every once in a while, and  only picking up new titles after watching commercials or on a whim.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#30  Edited By vigorousjammer

de Blob probobly should have got a review... but I can see why they'd skip over it.  No More Heroes was out before the site launched.  Shaun White Snowboarding... seriously? cmon'.
None of them can beat Mega Man 9, so therefore, no review.
World of Goo,  I dunno, Giant Bomb doesn't review many downloadable titles, but hey... I could see it.
Tiger Woods 09?  Giant Bomb doesn't review many sports games... in fact, have they ever reviewed any?

I mean, the Wii games they have reviewed are the right picks, i'm thinking (except for Target: Terror, but I think that was more of a joke).  They were reviewing some Wii games earlier in the year, despite what you have said... but this holiday season has been slow, so they've kinda stopped... I'm guessing an Animal Crossing review might be coming, but that game has a LOT of content, so Jeff is probobly taking his time with it...

The only really BIG Wii game that probobly should have got a review that didn't was Super Mario Galaxy.

The thing is, you're trying to paint it like this site is all pro-360, and thats just entirely not true... they review everything that they have time for... and in this slow holiday season, they may have ignored the Wii a bit.

but saying "oh this site should totally just change and be made into a 360-fanboy site" is incredibly ludacris, and insane.  I think you're really just not looking at the big picture.

drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By drakesfortune
Stevokenevo said:
"does anyone think that the main issue (aside from shovelware) with 'hardcore' gamers and the wii is actually the control scheme.  Ive found that its possible to pick up and play games on the wii relatively easily and therefore its possible to have a good hour or so of fun with certain games.

However the controls just feel so inaccurate and even with practise it isnt possible to get really good at using them.  What im getting at is that when people want to get really good at a game, they dont want the controls to limit them (remember the crazy people who file their 360 dpad for better motion?). 

The whole 'next gen' concept for the wii was its control scheme and after I felt the potential in early games like warioware, I was hopeful.  But games dont seem to have progressed by utilising the controls, which to me makes the console feel really stale.  The whole motionplus idea makes me hopeful again, but i feel im just getting my hopes up again for no good reason."

Absolutely it's the control scheme.  I was most excited about Wii this gen because of the controls.  It was the first console I bought this gen, and I was beyond hyped for the Wii.  However, after playing through Twilight Princess with the motion controls, then figuring out how to game Wii Sports because of the inacuracy of the controls, and finally having waggle attached to Galaxy, I realized the Wii just isn't for me.  The controls don't work well enough, the graphics rarely look as good as what the original XBox was doing (hell the xbox could do 720p on several games and the Wii can't even do that at all). 

Nintendo made big promises with regard to the controls, and they also WAY over promised what the Wii could deliver graphically, so I was just left feeling disappointed.  I felt like the motion controls were tacked onto MOST games, and outside of Wii Sports didn't enjoy them.
coldmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By coldmilk

They seemed to have a decent amount of coverage on big Wii releases like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and a fairly extensive playthrough of Mario Kart. There is also some love for the more cult titles such as MadWorld and No More Heroes earlier, the problem just is that there's currently a huge drought of real "games" on the Wii and most of them at the moment seem to be cash-ins on the Wii's fad status with the non-gaming types.

At this time, apart from Brawl Nintendo's offerings for their longtime fans seem to just be recycled versions of earlier titles. You can't deny the striking resemblance the latest Mario Kart and Animal Crossing games have to their Nintendo DS counterparts. I guess next year I'm getting a new Sin and Punishment...so not all is lost.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Al3xand3r

To all the responses of the "wii doesn't have core-games" type. Even if that was true, this is a gaming website. Heck, during that video show they did they spent more time playing Raving Rabbids than checking out The Conduit. But anyway, my point is, these forums also used to be much more full some time ago, even without counting the wii haters that are sure to pop in here again. Why did they stop doing as much posting here? Simply because the website doesn't cater to them anymore. Giant Bomb aren't only covering "real games" they simply completely blocked off a part of their potential audience in order to please another part easier, by simply going with the whole "no good WIi games" mentality and showing that with their lack of coverage (seriously, half of my hotly anticipated 2009 games are on Wii, but you wouldn't know it from coverage here), eviews ratings which, as the OP said and morons that disagree rated him down, are almost always below the average, and anti-Wii "funny" remarks at every chance one gets. GameSpot+Kotaku hybrid is what this place became. In all the worst ways.

And yes, Shawn White should have gotten a review, heck, it's actually a good game even according to the often wii-controls-challenged critics, unlike Skate It which apparently is worth nobody's time and yet was worth a review here. But hey, why review a Wii game and rate it good here? It won't appease the masses and give us easy hits where people just laugh and laugh at our Wii jokes.

At least remove the Wii tab so that newcomers aren't fooled into thinking all systems get equal term coverage.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead
Al3xand3r said:
""
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By atejas
Al3xand3r said:
"To all the responses of the "wii doesn't have core-games" type. Even if that was true, this is a gaming website. 
...whose purpose would thus be to cater to gaming enthusiasts, aka, core-gamers.
Al3xand3r said:
seriously, half of my hotly anticipated 2009 games are on Wii
Really? REALLY!?
Al3xand3r said:
the often wii-controls-challenged critics

Ohohoho, so it's the reviewers' faults now?
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Giantkitty

>I presume they'd cover the Wii were this a toy reviewing site.

They're all toys, so according to your logic, they'd cover none.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By get2sammyb

In response to the list of games you thought they should have reviewed: they didn't do Tiger Woods because they don't do sports games and they didn't do Mega Man 9 because they couldn't beat the game.

World of Goo and de Blob should have probably got reviews but Jeff mentioned something about his colour blindness effectively rendering the game unplayable for him, or certainly not to a standard where he felt he could review.

I think you make a point but I think you're a little lost with the release date of the site and also their philosophy. It's not that they blatantly hate the Wii it's just that there has been nothing particularly high profile this year end. That's all there is to it.

If they don't review House Of The Dead Overkill, Madworld, Punch Out!! and Sin & Punishment 2 then maybe you'll have a point. I have a sneaky feeling they will though.

Can we also stop with all the Wii hate please. Yes the holiday release line up sucked. Yes a lot of shovelware gets put on it. Yes Nintendo have made games you don't want to play. Boo hoo - I'm all for people explaining why GiantBomb didn't review Wii games this year but do we really have to hear "lol... Wii sucks... for kids... toy" every other post?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jayge_
coonana said:
"
I think part of it is through choice, probabaly most of it. Wii Music is a bad example. Though still they should have covered it because it is a big game for the year. But I guess more hardcore games are what your looking for. SO de Blob, No MOre Heroes, ShawnWhite Snowboarding, Mega Man 9, World of Goo, Tiger Woods 09 (some consider the best golf game ever), Blast Works, Animal crossing whether you like it or not its still a pretty good game and still has a lot of buzz even if its dissappointing, MLB Power Pros, Okami, Bully, a ton of Wiiware games, and more.
The count of wii games reviewed on this site are 8.

Besides that if they were supposed to review ONLY the good games that would be ridiculous because they have reviewed plenty of those for PS3 and 360.

This isnt even about that though its about the overall neglect. WHy represent a system then leave out to dry. I know you are not insulting me but many people are and it only shows the weakness of their own arguements."
And you said other people had limited horizons?

They shouldn't cover wii music because "it's a big release". The "game" is a joke. The GB team knows it's a joke, we all know it's a joke. No point.

• de Blob- Minor release. Barely even the hardcore segment cared, let alone the casuals who don't venture onto the Wii store thing.
  • No More Heroes came out before the site was out.
  • Shawn White Snowboarding is multi-platform, and it's a sports game.
  • Megaman 9 is multi-platform, and they did give moderate coverage of it, they just didn't review it.
  • World of Goo is yet *another* minor downloadable release that barely anybody managed to care about. A good game, but GiantBomb reviewing some small title in the middle of the biggest rush of the year would be pointless and a waste of time.
  • Tiger Woods 09 is multi-platform, and it's a sports game.
  • Blast Works- what? I rehash my argument for world of goo and de Blob here.
  • Animal Crossing is a straight re-hash of the same old game. They discuss it a bit on the podcast, if I remember. No reason to review that crap.
  • MLB is a sports game.
  • Okami was out too early, and it was a port of a PS2 game anyway.
  • Bully- multi-platform, the 360 was the better platform for it anyway. Also, came out before the site came out.
  • WiiWare- I point you to the de Blob/WoG/Blast Works argument.

The fact of the matter is that there was barely anything on the Wii worth reviewing. It's not a matter of argument. Based on their schedules and release periods, it wasn't feasible at all to report on those games. Hell, it would be flat-out irresponsible to report on those games when there are inarguably more important titles to give coverage to.

And as for GiantBomb only hiring 360 fanboys and becoming a 360 site- what? How ignorant are you? Seriously? They review a good deal of PS3 content along with 360 content (and very minorly nintendo content). The "uproar" about Skate it was pathetic. I've played the game. Jeff's rating was entirely true. It's a steaming pile of shit, especially compared to the original Skate. You don't agree? That's fine. But stating that they purposely "underrate" Nintendo games is absolute bullshit. Seriously. Get that crap the hell out of here.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, Jayge, you're here to see the biggest titles that get the best ratings and make the biggest splash in the market? Then just go watch some commercials or something, you'll have all the Fallout 3, Gears of War 2 and GTA IV style games you want. Also, guess what, part of the reason good games like De Blob and World of Goo don't make the dents you speak of, is the lack of coverage, and you're here advocating that, lol -- though of course marketing is a bigger factor some times.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jayge_
Al3xand3r said:
"So, Jayge, you're here to see the biggest titles that get the best ratings and make the biggest splash in the market? Then just go watch some commercials or something, you'll have all the Fallout 3, Gears of War 2 and GTA IV style games you want. Also, guess what, part of the reason good games like De Blob and World of Goo don't make the dents you speak of, is the lack of coverage, and you're here advocating that, lol -- though of course marketing is a bigger factor some times."
*sigh* You again. I thought (hoped dearly) that you and your severe lack of logic had left. The fact of the matter was that there were other things for the staff to be reviewing. There were games that they needed to have reviews out for by certain deadlines. Many games. It's the Fall season. To expect them to take their time out and review some little indie project on the Wii store of all things is unrealistic and stupid. Specialty sites or sites that have much more manpower were able to review more games, including the niches. They didn't make a dent because of a lack of coverage? What? There were commercials for WoG and de Blob all over the place. de Blob was reviewed by 44 web sites. World of Goo ranks in at 14, which is not nearly as much, but more than most games of that calibre and distribution line get. That claim is unfounded and ridiculous.
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Stevokenevo
drakesfortune said:
"Stevokenevo said:
"does anyone think that the main issue (aside from shovelware) with 'hardcore' gamers and the wii is actually the control scheme.  Ive found that its possible to pick up and play games on the wii relatively easily and therefore its possible to have a good hour or so of fun with certain games.

The whole 'next gen' concept for the wii was its control scheme and after I felt the potential in early games like warioware, I was hopeful.  But games dont seem to have progressed by utilising the controls, which to me makes the console feel really stale.  The whole motionplus idea makes me hopeful again, but i feel im just getting my hopes up again for no good reason."

Absolutely it's the control scheme.  I was most excited about Wii this gen because of the controls.  It was the first console I bought this gen, and I was beyond hyped for the Wii.  However, after playing through Twilight Princess with the motion controls, then figuring out how to game Wii Sports because of the inacuracy of the controls, and finally having waggle attached to Galaxy, I realized the Wii just isn't for me.  The controls don't work well enough, the graphics rarely look as good as what the original XBox was doing (hell the xbox could do 720p on several games and the Wii can't even do that at all). 

Nintendo made big promises with regard to the controls, and they also WAY over promised what the Wii could deliver graphically, so I was just left feeling disappointed.  I felt like the motion controls were tacked onto MOST games, and outside of Wii Sports didn't enjoy them."
So do you think that the 'casual gamers' will continue to enjoy this somewhat bastardised control scheme or will they grow tired of it like we have done?  As soon as the controls become awkward in a game im completely uninterested in playing it.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Al3xand3r

Case in point, just look at the response this thread gets vs the response of a "core game" thread like a fraking new core Tales title, as opposed to the last spin offs. Cue "tales game suck" comments below, as opposed to what type of comments we'd get if it was a Tales of Vesperia 2, ha... And yeah, I guess AWESOME® releases like Skate It are better to review than the likes of De Blob and World of Goo.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jayge_
Al3xand3r said:
"Case in point, just look at the response this thread gets vs the response of a "core game" thread like a fraking new core Tales title, as opposed to the last spin offs. Cue "tales game suck" comments below, as opposed to what type of comments we'd get if it was a Tales of Vesperia 2, ha... And yeah, I guess AWESOME® releases like Skate It are better to review than the likes of De Blob and World of Goo."
Tales of Symphonia was a great game. ToS2 was crappy. I don't get what the hell that first sentence was supposed to mean. Use English please. As for Skate It, I have no idea why they reviewed it. I suppose they wanted to *gasp* actually cover some of that platform you love to hump so much! And oh well, it turned out to be a bad game. There is no point in trying to satisfy people like you- review it and rate it badly, and you cry foul. Don't review it because there are obviously more interesting and relevant titles to review instead, baaaaaw all day long. I would imagine that a good review of a Nintendo game wouldn't even satisfy you people unless it got nothing less than 5 stars. It's almost disturbing how deluded you are.
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Stevokenevo
Al3xand3r said:
unlike Skate It which apparently is worth nobody's time and yet was worth a review here.
They had to review it to find out it was worth nobody's time doofus.Al3xand3r said:
"So, Jayge, you're here to see the biggest titles that get the best ratings and make the biggest splash in the market?
People want to hear an objective view about their most anticipated games...which odly enough tend to be the 'biggest titles that make the biggest splash' Al3xand3r said:
And yeah, I guess AWESOME® releases like Skate It are better to review than the likes of De Blob and World of Goo."
I too would have liked a de Blob review (as it came out on disk) but its so niche a game it would be an effective waste of manpower. 

You are very uptight about people expressing their opinions of the Wii and its software.  I own a wii and quite alot of games and I dont get my evil eyes on at some unfriendly banter.  Chillax
hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hungrynun

Where did your awesome Christmas pilgrim go Jayge? 3:

My opinions have been made here through other peoples post.

There is a Wii-Fanboy site you know. If you feel the need to belittle and "inform" the community here that site I mentioned should at least get you some backing to your claims.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jayge_
hungrynun said:
"Where did your awesome Christmas pilgrim go Jayge? 3:

There is a Wii-Fanboy site you know. If you feel the need to belittle and "inform" the community here that site I mentioned should at least get you some backing to your claims."
I felt that an evil, cigar-smoking Santa was better than a Christmas pilgrim :-D
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Stevokenevo

^ its more realistic.  thats what the majority of santas ive seen have looked like

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Al3xand3r
hungrynun said:
"Where did your awesome Christmas pilgrim go Jayge? 3:

There is a Wii-Fanboy site you know. If you feel the need to belittle and "inform" the community here that site I mentioned should at least get you some backing to your claims."
That's a pretty bad site choice, try gonintendo for some actual coverage.
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Stevokenevo

no thanks, i get all the wii coverage i need right here.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The site has been around solely for the 2nd half of 08, possibly the worst time for Wii since launch.

They'll ramp it up when more 3rd party games come out that people care about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.