Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

I never played a WII game

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Edited By cornbredx

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

So, here's the thing. I completely skipped the WII last gen. I wouldn't say I hate Nintendo or anything. I mean... I got the WII for one of my birthdays because it was something I wanted on my Amazon wishlist. I never used it other than that night when we played the WII sports game that came with it, though, and I played a few old Nintendo games on it as well.

I know what you're probably thinking. You could be thinking "That's crazy. There's so many good games on the WII what's wrong with you? Plus you can play Gamecube games which I psychically know you didn't play either. Shame on you Will Robinson, shame on you." Wow, how perceptive of you imaginary reader I just made up. You're also very handsome; have I told you that you're handsome? Is it ok if I tell you I think you're handsome?

You could also be thinking: "Good riddance. The Wii sucks." Well, you're awfully abrasive dear reader that I just imagined. You're a very blunt person. I respect your opinion. Do you bathe in acid? I'm mainly curious because I hear it's good for your pores.

I actually like Nintendo, but have for the better part of a decade and a half mostly just partaken in Nintendo stuff from the outside- watching other peoples reactions to it, or reading about it. I've had little to no interest mainly because of their controller hardware which could still arguably be called "gimmicky." There's also just too many games coming out, in general, these days.

I actually purchased the better one, but this is one of the WII controllers.
    I actually purchased the better one, but this is one of the WII controllers.

The thing is, though, the Wii does have a normal controller. You could also use a Gamecube controller, but I haven't decided to plummet down that rabbit hole, too. I'm sorry if I don't get paid to do this insanity, but I don't so I have to find lines to draw for now.

I made several resolutions this year, and one was really stupid and crazy (especially considering a lot of good games that should be coming out this year). I'm not gonna buy any new games this year. At least... no, no I won't.

You may be asking yourself "Why? Why would you do this?"

I don't know. I haven't felt stimulated by very many newer games (not all, just most) and I felt my life is in the horrible place now where this felt like a good idea.

The last CRT TV to exist.
    The last CRT TV to exist.

I should go back a bit, though. I actually already play old games on more than an odd occasion, and I still get that draw from them as if they were still new. It probably helps that I still have an old CRT TV (when it comes to things like my Genesis), but I'd say the best generation of games ended with the PS2 original XBOX era for me. While there is still new games that come out that I have interest in- I usually end up not wanting to finish most of them. Length is a big problem, but more than that most games (not all) coming out anymore feel like they are just adding a ton of padding to make the game longer with less actual substance. It's really draining and even games with good concepts and ideas are starting to just drag on when they absolutely shouldn't.

I don't feel like this when Iplayoldergames.

When I was younger we- I can't say we were poor because my Dad did make a decent wage, but I grew up in California which has always had a really high quality of life line and to top it off my Dad never understood how to spend money smartly so because of that even though we weren't impoverished I couldn't generally keep up with games like I'd have liked to. I had an original atari 2600 for years, that my dad got before I was born (I think), and I played that well into the Nintendo years. By the time I got a hand me down Nintendo people were starting to move on. I ended up getting the Genesis that I still own when I turned 16 (1998). For those that don't know this is 10 years after the Genesis actually came out (I have the series 2 model which is the one most people probably think of- there are three different models that Sega released if anyone is interested to know that). At some point in there I somehow also had gotten a Game gear. God, I wish I still had that brick of a handheld- mainly for nostalgia as I don't remember it being a good console.

This is not all the physical copies of games I own.
    This is not all the physical copies of games I own.

Anyway, I played PC games for the most part because it was one of the few platforms I actually kept up with throughout my life. I mean, I played most PC games when they were new whereas with consoles I had not.

Anyway I loved, and still love, video games, and since I don't feel like I'm having fun with most of the main games right now- which I really should stop buying so many of- I started buyingoldergames that I lost over the years. This in turn means I've been using my old ass Genesis even more than ever.

The problem with this is I don't want to wear out my Genesis. It is around 20 or so years old, and who knows how long it will continue to work. I just like the idea of it working even if I don't use it. Even though one day it will probably just stop working because it just can't pass electricity through it's circuits no more (still surprised it hasn't happened yet, to be honest).

My Genesis is old and I never really did much to make it last.
    My Genesis is old and I never really did much to make it last.

So, since I've been getting some Genesis games that I had before but lost so I could play them again I ended up going down the rabbit hole of purchasing a Retron 5 (which should arrive on Friday- and sorry but that completely legit console emulation system for some reason doesn't seem to be on Giant Bomb). I did my research and found out why it had issues on the initial release. It is my understanding that the loading issues it had were an issue with the pins getting pulled out because of it being a little to tight on the cartridges or something. Anyway, they supposedly fixed this with their most recent release of the hardware (which apparently also caused the price of it to jump to $160) so I took the plunge- fuck it, why not? I mainly just want to be able to play these games without putting a ton of stress on my Genesis, plus pulling out my old CRT and my Genesis and hooking everything up every time I want to play a game is just a pain in the ass at this point because I just don't have a place to leave it all hooked up since it requires a separate TV (because, while I can use a Genesis on a modern TV it looks like shit for many many reasons).

Anyway, because I bought a Retron 5 I should now be able to play SNES games. I never had a SNES, but I played it all the time at friend's houses. I had always wanted one, but I really liked the Genesis too (probably more) so at the time I was fine with that and it was the one I asked for.

No Caption Provided

You would think at first that me only buying old games right now would mean I would be saving money, but it turns out I am actually probably going to spend more.

The crazy thing is apparently SNES fandom is much morehardcore than Genesis. I can purchase Genesis games for very reasonable prices and I've been happy with the prices I've found for the carts that are being described. It's been perfect I'd say for someone who'd want Genesis games (as I would).

There is a couple SNES games I really wanted because they're great games, and I'd like to have them in my completely pointless collection that I like having. It's insane, though, how expensive most SNES games are now. So, I only bought a couple (one which I may have paid a lot for and I'll just say because this is going really long that it's a Zelda game, but in relation to what it's generally going for I got it for a great price). I decided I wouldn't get anymore SNES carts because they're just insanely expensive. This is what made me think of my WII (of which I already have a few old Nintendogamesdownloaded on).

Anyway, I then went insane and decided to buy the WII "classic controller" and then because I was getting that I decided to buy the WII games that I haveneverplayed, but I actually want to.

I don't know how this insanity will turn up, and I don't think it's a good idea, but I consider it a spiritual journey of sorts. I need to find my video game center, and I guess a cleansing wash of something completely different may do the trick. Or it won't and I'll just have a great time. Who knows?

Thanks for reading.

This blog is dedicated to my father, Paul E Respass, who died April 21 2014. He didn't understand video games, despite having grown up around and loving pinball, but he always tried to be supportive of my writing and always told me to do what was best for me. He will never be forgotten.

My Dad and I circa 2009
    My Dad and I circa 2009
    JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Sorry about your dad mate... he had awesome hair.

I played a ton of Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, probably my most played game on the system even though I played a lot of Skyward Sword, Mario Kart, and Smash too. Silent Hill Shattered Memories was a very unique and cool experience on the Wii as well.

I bought the Wii for the party aspect of it, it was the easiest console in the world to play with non-gamers. If someone unfamiliar with gaming came over to the apartment you could hand them a WiiMote and let them play bowling on Wii Sports, it was fun for that, but then I started to see some actual good games come out for it like the ones I mentioned above.

I can't recommend Xenoblade Chronicles enough to JRPG fans.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Your dad seemed like a nice guy.

You should play Mario Galaxy 2 because it's what's best for you.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbg4: Thanks, duder.

Ya, he also had an amazing beard when he was in his last film. That was pretty amazing. I don't think I'll ever be able to have a beard like that.

As for Xenoblade Chronicles, I have heard of it, and I'm even aware of how it's available in the US (I followed the whole Operation Rainfall thing and was happy to be wrong that it made any impact on it actually seeing a release in the US). I don't know if I want to play an RPG in general right now, but it is on my list of games that are supposed to be good for the WII. So I may get to it, who knows?

@csl316: Thanks!

I do have Mario Galaxy 2 on my list, but right now it's still really expensive (I think the cheapest I found it was still at like $45 or $50 because I buy games new unless they aren't manufactured anymore and become collectors items).

I was tempted to get it with the first game, but I decided against it for various reasons. It's on the list, though. I may get it next month.

I agree, though, I NEED IT!

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JBG4

@cornbredx: Just noticed he was an actor, that's awesome...

Shattered Memories is really good and uses the WiiMote in some really unique ways. It's also fairly short so it isn't too hard to push through.

I saw Paper Mario in that pic.. it's a good game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@cornbredx: Nintendo games have the most stubborn pricing. I bought a Gamecube towards the end of its lifecycle and certain games were still full price. More expensive than the used system itself!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Reading this made me bust out the Wii for old time sakes. While I wouldn't say Wii has a huge library there are a couple of games on the system that have been sitting on my backlog for quite awhile. Played a little bit of Metroid Other M and Muramasa and those games seem alright, might play them more this month with it being a lull period in games.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Capitalizing the "I" to Wii in your title makes it seem like you have written a blog about never having played a game about World War II.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cornbredx

@jbg4: Ya, I am admittedly trying to keep that subtle because I don't want to appear to be shilling that.

So that it is clear to anybody that reads this, if someone somehow became interested in one of his films because of reading my blog I do not make anything off of anything he was in so I have no monetary reasons to "shill." I always worry people will think that's what I am doing, and really I am only attempting to honor his memory the best I can.

Anyways (hate having to bring that up, but you never know what people will think haha), I remember them talking about Shattered Memories extensively during GOTY the year it came out. Unfortunately I watched a complete playthrough of the game so I kind of already know what to expect from that game. I may get it anyway, both because I like a good Silent Hill and because I know the game changes based on variables of how you play and what not. So, we'll see.

I am plenty interested in Paper Mario, though, because I played the original a long time ago. I really liked the original concept so if it's even as good as that I am totally in. So, I'll definitely be checking that out. =)

@csl316: Ya, no doubt. I think the first Super Mario Galaxy didn't go down in price until a year or half a year after the sequel came out. It was insane. At least they wouldn't be wrong if they defended this practice by saying "Well, they're good games. You get what you pay for." At least, that's what I understand anyway- I don't know that first hand yet =P

@i_stay_puft: Awesome! Hmm... speaking of Metroid, I should probably think about checking at least one Metroid game out at some point during this insanity. I've only ever played and finished the first Metroid game.

@zombiepie: Oh, dang. I wasn't sure what the proper spelling of it was and I made the (poor) assumption it was supposed to be all capitalized. Of course there are ways I could have easily found out (like looking down and to left of my desk here where my Wii currently is), but where's the fun in that =P

I'll fix it, but I have to ask (because I never have and so I have never known) if I edit my blog do I have to redo the tags? Every time I try to edit a blog it appears to remove them and this worries me that it will break something. Do I actually need to worry about that?

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: Screw it dude, lol... I know you were proud of his career, I would have been if it was my dad. No one will think anything other than that...

Shattered Memories is definitely an experience worth having...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi

I made a list of worthwhile Wii games a while back! I'll just embed it here.

Shattered Memories does not change nearly as much as you might think it does. A few characters look different and act different but it has no effect on what you're actually doing or even what happens to you.

Best Wii Games

1. Kirby's Epic Yarn
    Kirby can turn into a mech that punches things.
    2. Kirby's Return to Dream Land
    Kirby.
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Not as good as Wind Waker but it's pretty damn close, much closer than I was expecting.
    5. Metroid Prime Trilogy
    6. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
    I wish I could put a screenshot for this description because I can't say anything that wouldn't. A beautiful game in every way.
    7. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
    Everything great about the first game but with more compelling gameplay and better boss design, fuckhead!
    8. Rhythm Heaven Fever
    Best Rhythm Game Ever, suck it Harmonix. Fantastic original music, adorable art and ingenious game design.
    9. Super Mario Galaxy
    Sunshine in space.
    10. Super Paper Mario
    My favourite of the Paper Mario series.
    11. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    It's not balanced, it's not competitive, but it is a ton of fun. Every character has a fun and fitting moveset and the insane amount of items makes the game that much more unpredictable.
    13. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
    A WarioWare game.
    14. Xenoblade Chronicles
    A good JRPG, a rarity these days unfortunately.
    12. The Last Story
    The long lost sequel to Final Fantasy 9.
    4. MadWorld
    Heavily stylized brutal murder.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Thanks, duder! I'll check those out (I got a few of them already, actually).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.