Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

IGN previews WiiSpeak . . . and it works.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

It works pretty well, too, from the looks of it.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Soccer moms of the world rejoice! But seriously, as well as this seems to work, I'd take a headset over that any day.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Dark_Link142

"The questionable option within the menu: you had the ability to turn on and off a suspicious "Use Headphones" switch."

Hm? Interesting.
    Anyway, it sounds pretty good. I'm currently using Skype to talk with my friends while playing Wii since we all have our Wii's in the same room as our computers, conveniently enough. But sometimes I like to move my Wii to my larger, HDTV in the basement, but I don't do it since I can't talk to my friends down there.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

So what's the purpose of this horseshit? To talk to other people playing Animal Crossing? Holy shit Nintendo, don't do me any favors here.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I play a lot of Tiger Woods PGA Tour on the Wii and online, this would be great for that game. Fingers crossed for TW10 for the Wii.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emilio
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "So what's the purpose of this horseshit? To talk to other people playing Animal Crossing? Holy shit Nintendo, don't do me any favors here."
    So you can talk to your grandma while you visit her Animal Crossing town, duh.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By clarke0

If the "use headphones" option allows voices to be heard through the speakers that would be great because I always use headphones when I game. Don't ask how I use a headset when I have headphones on...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

Great. Now I can talk to children even younger than Xbox LIVE's 14 year old residents.

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Earthbounder

There were some minor problems but I can't wait to try out the game with Wii Speak.

Bram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bram

Hmm.. i think ill stick to just turning around slightly and typing on msn while i play.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kohe321

I HATE talking with random people when I play games. Sure, that a game has a chat system is all well and good and I use that, but voice chat? No... Definetely won't be picking this up (partly because my nintendo wii hasn't been used for over half a year, also).

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
    Kohe321 said:
    "I HATE talking with random people when I play games. Sure, that a game has a chat system is all well and good and I use that, but voice chat? "
    ... someone actually agrees with me. I don't particularly enjoy "communicating" with the spoiled brats that populate XBOX Live (and occassionally PSN).
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "So what's the purpose of this horseshit? To talk to other people playing Animal Crossing? Holy shit Nintendo, don't do me any favors here."
    It's being used in The Conduit, too. Other than that, nothing really yet.
    MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MichaelScott
    get2sammyb said:
    "Kohe321 said:
    "I HATE talking with random people when I play games. Sure, that a game has a chat system is all well and good and I use that, but voice chat? "
    ... someone actually agrees with me. I don't particularly enjoy "communicating" with the spoiled brats that populate XBOX Live (and occassionally PSN)."
    Amen. I like to talk to friends when I play games, not some random jerk off on XBL. 

That said, I'm pretty excited for WiiSpeak. Probably enough of a reason to get the new AC, for me.   
    Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Earthbounder

On a perfect world without dumb people playing online it would be incredbile to communicate with random people but I would really like Nintendo to allow us to do that, if you are bothered by what other people are saying I think the best solution is to have an option where you can turn off the communication.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Claude said:
    "I play a lot of Tiger Woods PGA Tour on the Wii and online, this would be great for that game. Fingers crossed for TW10 for the Wii."
    I have not got the latest yet but I can imagine it used well in the next game along with motion +. That game should be awesome, best golf game ever if they get things right.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By ArcBorealis

I already knew it would work. There was a story back in July about a closed doors presentation with the mic where they had Charles Martinet talking from another room, and his voice came out perfectly.

Besides, I think using this for communications would feel more natural for talking with others online than a headset. Not only do most headphones hate my ears (I always have to go earbuds), but this be the looks of it may not make it feel so much like your talking over a telephone attached to your head.

And Earthbounder, I wish just the same for the perfect world. Assholes can be such a pain.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Black_Rose
    get2sammyb said:
    "Kohe321 said:
    ... someone actually agrees with me. I don't particularly enjoy "communicating" with the spoiled brats that populate XBOX Live (and occassionally PSN)."
    I agree
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By TheJollyRajah

It better work well... they made it out to be a highlight of their show at E3.

But I still prefer a normal headset. You have to play in an extremely quiet room to actually use the thing. And it won't get much use anyways, all because of those darn friend codes, and because only one game can utilize it at the moment.

You know what the saddest thing is? I haven't bought any Wii games this year, and it looks like that won't change.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

No games in 2008? Off the top of my head I can think of Endless Ocean, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes, Super Smash Bros Brawl, De Blob, Wario Land, the two Art Style games, Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People, World of Goo, Tetris Party, Lost Winds and Bomberman Blast  (with some of these unavailable for certain regions) as far as console exclusives go so your problem is not buying instead of WIi not having...

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Emilio
    Al3xand3r said:
    "No games in 2008? Off the top of my head I can think of Endless Ocean, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes, Super Smash Bros Brawl, De Blob, Wario Land, the two Art Style games, Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People, World of Goo, Tetris Party, Lost Winds and Bomberman Blast  (with some of these unavailable for certain regions) as far as console exclusives go so your problem is not buying instead of WIi not having..."
    Those are all gimmicky kiddy games. I have not played or seen them, but they are all kiddy games because they are on Wii, and most likly are nothing but gimmicks because they all use waggle. I am a REAL hardcore gamer, I want REAL games.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZeroCast

Well, let's hope the Hard Drive works just the same.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Emilio said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "No games in 2008? Off the top of my head I can think of Endless Ocean, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes, Super Smash Bros Brawl, De Blob, Wario Land, the two Art Style games, Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People, World of Goo, Tetris Party, Lost Winds and Bomberman Blast  (with some of these unavailable for certain regions) as far as console exclusives go so your problem is not buying instead of WIi not having..."
    Those are all gimmicky kiddy games. I have not played or seen them, but they are all kiddy games because they are on Wii, and most likly are nothing but gimmicks because they all use waggle. I am a REAL hardcore gamer, I want REAL games."
    Zomg +1
    JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JohnDudebro

Reading this made me realize that, despite my better judgement, I know I'm going to buy Animal Crossing.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Dark_Link142

I think a lot of people miss that fact that this is only with friends, so you won't have to listen to 12 year olds whining in your ear, unless your friends are 12 year old whiners.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Dark_Link142 said:
    "I think a lot of people miss that fact that this is only with friends, so you won't have to listen to 12 year olds whining in your ear, unless your friends are 12 year old whiners."
    Or, The Wii's Key Demographic, as they're more commonly known.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Emilio
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Dark_Link142 said:
    "I think a lot of people miss that fact that this is only with friends, so you won't have to listen to 12 year olds whining in your ear, unless your friends are 12 year old whiners."
    Or, The Wii's Key Demographic, as they're more commonly known."
    I don't know man, I've pretty tired of hearing 12 year olds screaming over the mic while playing Gears, GTA IV, and Halo 3.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Dark_Link142 said:
    I don't know anyone with a Wii that is a 12 year old screamer, therefore they won't be added to my list. Also, the Wii has no key demographic. That's why it's raping in sales.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Dark_Link142 said:
    I don't know anyone with a Wii that is a 12 year old screamer, therefore they won't be added to my list. Also, the Wii has no key demographic. That's why it's raping in sales."
    True, with the Wii having such a huge demo, all those mature games that come out do tend to light up the charts. Those child oriented waggle fests that get labelled as family games are what rape the sales and I daresay the bulk of those players are the 12 year old whiners who'll populate Animal Crossing. Well, it'll be them or the insufferable 15 year olds hung up on the percieved innovative qualities. I'm not sure who's worse.
    mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mthe1337one

i suppose busting out your PSP slim and using it's skype connectivity is another viable option while playing wii games, but it's nice to know that Nintendo is taking this form of voice chat seriously too.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Dark_Link142 said:
    I don't know anyone with a Wii that is a 12 year old screamer, therefore they won't be added to my list. Also, the Wii has no key demographic. That's why it's raping in sales."
    True, with the Wii having such a huge demo, all those mature games that come out do tend to light up the charts. Those child oriented waggle fests that get labelled as family games are what rape the sales and I daresay the bulk of those players are the 12 year old whiners who'll populate Animal Crossing. Well, it'll be them or the insufferable 15 year olds hung up on the percieved innovative qualities. I'm not sure who's worse."
    I don't know anyone with a Wii that is a 12 year old screamer, therefore they won't be added to my list. Also, the Wii has no key demographic. That's why it's raping in sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.