Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

My Wii has Black Pixels Flickering, HELP!

iamtirrrred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By iamtirrrred

It started today, I have black pixels flickering on the screen. What is it? and How can I fit it?

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By meptron

1) be sure it's not your tv - do they appear with another device or with tv signal? 
    2) maybe the cable is loose, or busted? make sure it's plugged in tight. if so, maybe borrow another cable from a friend to see if that fixes it. 
    3) try plugging the wii into a different input on the same tv, this will test that specific input on the tv... 

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By carlthenimrod

Try the Wii on another TV. If the problem persists, try another set of cables.

iamtirrrred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iamtirrrred
    @Meptron:@Meptron said:

" 1) be sure it's not your tv - do they appear with another device or with tv signal? 2) maybe the cable is loose, or busted? make sure it's plugged in tight. if so, maybe borrow another cable from a friend to see if that fixes it. 3) try plugging the wii into a different input on the same tv, this will test that specific input on the tv...  "

This is an example of what is going on...

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By meptron
    @iamtirrrred said:
    " @Meptron:@Meptron said:

" 1) be sure it's not your tv - do they appear with another device or with tv signal? 2) maybe the cable is loose, or busted? make sure it's plugged in tight. if so, maybe borrow another cable from a friend to see if that fixes it. 3) try plugging the wii into a different input on the same tv, this will test that specific input on the tv...  "

This is an example of what is going on...

"
    huh. well that certainly seems annoying. did you try the things I suggested? the key is to isolate the problem first. is it the tv, the cable, or the Wii? is has to be one of those three...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sounds like your Wii's GPU is about to die. If all else fails, call Nintendo & send it in, they should fix it for free even outside warranty with enough whining about how it's their fault the unit was defective and it has nothing to do with misuse and what not.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @iamtirrrred:
    Definitely not a cable problem.  Cable would be analog noise and that's digital; actual pixels/texel blocks are switching in and out.  Try another input on the TV and another TV to be sure, but my guess is that encoder chip in your Wii is none too healthy.
    synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By synt4x

I got this problem with my first wii (from launch) and I read somewhere that it was WiiConnect24 that caused the wlan chip to somehow overheat the gpu since the fan is not running when in WC24 mode.  

My wii was out of warranty. But because it was less than 3 years old, I was able to RMA it since it was a design flaw and not abuse on my part. Got a brand new system with my old settings and Miis on it for free except the cost to send it in. It took pretty much exactly two weeks if I remember correctly. This was in Sweden where Bergsala AB is the local distributer of Nintendo stuff but there's probably not much of a difference when it comes to manufacturing faults. 

Oh and I haven't used the WC24 mode on the new console in fear of it happening again. Still works fine :>

iamtirrrred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iamtirrrred
    @synt4x said:
    " I got this problem with my first wii (from launch) and I read somewhere that it was WiiConnect24 that caused the wlan chip to somehow overheat the gpu since the fan is not running when in WC24 mode.  My wii was out of warranty. But because it was less than 3 years old, I was able to RMA it since it was a design flaw and not abuse on my part. Got a brand new system with my old settings and Miis on it for free except the cost to send it in. It took pretty much exactly two weeks if I remember correctly. This was in Sweden where Bergsala AB is the local distributer of Nintendo stuff but there's probably not much of a difference when it comes to manufacturing faults.  Oh and I haven't used the WC24 mode on the new console in fear of it happening again. Still works fine :> "
    Yeah this is my Wii from Launch. Question: How did you get all your Friend Codes, Miis, Games, Setting and More back without a hassle? It looks like I am going  to be passing through what you went through with your system, and I want to get the heads up.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By demontium
    @iamtirrrred: that used to happen with me when I had a switch box to alternate on my tv quickly. 

If your using that, thats why. 

If not, switch tvs/cables.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Willy105

All the possible outcomes have been suggested here, but I'll still say it for fun:

1. Maybe it's your TV settings.

2. Maybe it's the cables, getting damaged for bad treatment or being pulled and such.

3. Maybe it's the Wii GPU having a problem, maybe from having it overheat by bad placement/overuse/modifying it and such.

iamtirrrred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iamtirrrred

I called Nintendo and they said it will cost me $75 to fix because it is out of warranty. Should I do it? Or buy a new Wii?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Did you try to push them, many people are able to get a free repair outside warranty with the right (but usually polite) words.

If not, it sounds like the repair is your best option, in order to both not pay full price and keep all your WiiWare/VC games (otherwise you'd have to once again contact Nintendo, tell them the problem, etc, and send both Wiis in for them to do the licences transfer and wipe your first Wii or whatever).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.