Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Nintendo Firmware 4.3U released... Do NOT update!

• 75 results
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By WickedCobra03

NOT!  As is not cool.  Not much is known about this update, only that it kills the latest version of Homebrew channel and leaves a question mark in the channel as a place holder.

Hopefully we can find a work around, otherwise I have no use for my system anymore.  Dagnabbit, this was a nice alternative to having to pull out my NES, SNES, Genesis and other old consoles weekly.  I was looking around in the WiiShop channel for Rondo of blood and was going to buy it, but the console asked me to update, and said yes, and now it effectively killed my wii system.  I mean Wii games still run, but all of the indie stuff on homebrew no longer works.  Tux Racer for life... :(

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

no one plays wii so were good 

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emilio

Why do you have the homebrew channel on your Wii? 

Also, Rondo of Blood oowwwnzzz

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By damnboyadvance

Don't all of the updates do that?

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Emilio:  Because the Homebrew community for the Wii is huge and amazing?
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DrPockets000
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " no one plays wii so were good  "
    I laughed really hard at this.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

How can I put this succinctly?

Oh, right.  I don't care.  Now that you've let me know, I'll actually go ahead and update my Wii just to get that out of the way.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By zidd
    @Mmmslash: I have yet to see a single wiibrew app thats worth using.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Emilio said:
    " Why do you have the homebrew channel on your Wii?  Also, Rondo of Blood oowwwnzzz "
    Uh, well last spring-ish (2009),  I heard about this game Super Mario War Wii and I wanted to play it, so since you can't run anything on your Wii without this homebrew application that Nintendo does not release through retail or WiiShop, you can't play it.  And then I just loaded up all of my NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 games onto this game so I don't have to keep shuffling around my old consoles every time I want to play Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario RPG, Pilot Wings 64...ect.  It is really nice to have all my old games in one console.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @WickedCobra03 said:
    " @Emilio said:
    " Why do you have the homebrew channel on your Wii?  Also, Rondo of Blood oowwwnzzz "
    Uh, well last spring-ish (2009),  I heard about this game Super Mario War Wii and I wanted to play it, so since you can't run anything on your Wii without this homebrew application that Nintendo does not release through retail or WiiShop, you can't play it.  And then I just loaded up all of my NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 games onto this game so I don't have to keep shuffling around my old consoles every time I want to play Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario RPG, Pilot Wings 64...ect.  It is really nice to have all my old games in one console. "
    Nintendo not releasing unlicensed homebrew through their online shop?  OH GOD STOP THE PRESSES IT'S A TRAVESTY.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Hailinel said:
    " @WickedCobra03 said:
    " @Emilio said:
    Uh, well last spring-ish (2009),  I heard about this game Super Mario War Wii and I wanted to play it, so since you can't run anything on your Wii without this homebrew application that Nintendo does not release through retail or WiiShop, you can't play it.  And then I just loaded up all of my NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 games onto this game so I don't have to keep shuffling around my old consoles every time I want to play Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario RPG, Pilot Wings 64...ect.  It is really nice to have all my old games in one console. "
    Nintendo not releasing unlicensed homebrew through their online shop?  OH GOD STOP THE PRESSES IT'S A TRAVESTY. "
    I never asked to stop them, rather, we should probably get them going.  I have enjoyed this game a bunch with friends, and I am just letting people know my experiences through updating.  If you choose to be a sheep, that is perfectly fine, but I just like playing games in general.  Helium Boy is another awesome Homebrew game inspired by an old Nintendo game.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By apathylad
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @Apathylad said:

" Wasn't the 4.3U released months ago? "

It's a minor update with no overt functionality changes and isn't required for most if not all recent Wii titles, so it's easy for it to fly under the radar.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WickedCobra03

I think it was the first time it might have been required or something to browse the Wiishop channel.  Last time I played, about 3 weeks ago , never asked.  I don't know.  Sorry.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WickedCobra03
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Zidd:  What? Homebrew can give you anything from homemade games, classic emulation, media players, better browsers. almost anything. The Wii homebrew scene is pretty amazing.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By apathylad
    @WickedCobra03:  
    Weird.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zidd
    @Mmmslash: I have an HTPC that can do all of that better than the wii and do it in HD.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By ArchScabby

God Nintendo are such assholes!  Not letting you put illegal copies of games on your system... what pieces of shit.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WickedCobra03

BTW, why does it sound like you guys are crying about me installing homebrew software on my Wii console?  I am just wondering because it seems a few of you in here work for the Nintendo Defense Force or something?  Do you guys think I am a pirate or whatever other names there are for "software thieves"?  Just asking because it sounds like I should not even have this?

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zidd
    @WickedCobra03: I am not against homebrew at all. Homebrew on the PSP works great. But the Wii homebrew falls short.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel
    @WickedCobra03 said:
    " BTW, why does it sound like you guys are crying about me installing homebrew software on my Wii console?  I am just wondering because it seems a few of you in here work for the Nintendo Defense Force or something?  Do you guys think I am a pirate or whatever other names there are for "software thieves"?  Just asking because it sounds like I should not even have this? "
    Actually, I'm more or less mocking you for your ZOMG DON'T UPDATE YOU GAIZ attitude.
    Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheCreamFilling

"Homebrew" makes me want hot chocolate.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By apathylad

Wii Homebrew Channel never bothered me. I recall the Joystiq guys admit that they have used SCUMM on it. Also, it shouldn't be a big deal if you want to play imported copies of games.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Hailinel said:
    " @WickedCobra03 said:
    " BTW, why does it sound like you guys are crying about me installing homebrew software on my Wii console?  I am just wondering because it seems a few of you in here work for the Nintendo Defense Force or something?  Do you guys think I am a pirate or whatever other names there are for "software thieves"?  Just asking because it sounds like I should not even have this? "
    Actually, I'm more or less mocking you for your ZOMG DON'T UPDATE YOU GAIZ attitude. "
    Oh, well I am just trying to save people the trouble or hassle of not being able to play games.  I mean there was a press release like a year or so ago saying that this homebrew stuff would mess with Nintendo licensed games and in turn would not work properly.  I have something like 60 Wii games and all of them have worked peachy with Homebrew installed on my system. :| 

Oh, and any of you tools on the NDF(Nintendo Defense Force), I present you my middle finger. Pirate my ass.  This is only about half of my Gamecube/Wii games that I own, the rest are in another similar box in the basement.

No Caption Provided
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @WickedCobra03:   Here's the problem, though.  If you download a homebrew application that somehow manages to fuck up your Wii because of a glitch in the code or (in an extreme scenario) malicious coding, you're screwing yourself over.  Your warranty was voided the moment you installed the Homebrew Channel.
    Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mariek430

Clicking this topic finished that First Class! quest for me. Thanks.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By yukoasho

Can't say I give a shit.  I have a laptop if I want to play emulated games on my television.  In addition, most modern video cards now have HDMI ports, which will allow the use of your PC with most televisions.  There's really no reason nowadays to crack your consoles, especially the friggin' Wii.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Hey guys is it too late to hop on the indifference dick-wagon? 
    *hops on*
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Emilio
    @LunarAura said:
    " Hey guys is it too late to hop on the indifference dick-wagon? *hops on* "
    Sorry, this train is full!
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By agentboolen
    @WickedCobra03: Homebrew channel seems cool but the fact is Nintendo does go after it with every update.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Zidd: That's... not very relevant. Whether you have alternate options or not doesn't make the Wii option useless.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zidd
    @Mmmslash: The emulators have pretty bad compatibility. What good is an emulator for n64 games if I can't play any of them?  I looked at the wiibrew stuff because I wanted to see if it was as good as the homebrew scene that was on the PSP. It isn't.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Zidd:  When did you look? The PSP N64 emulation scene is absolutely abysmal, and the Snes9x port on Wii works a whole lot better than the PSP Snes9x port.

PSP does have some gnarly Neo Geo action, and its, of course, perfect PSX scene. I'm not trying to bash the PSP scene, I love that action, too.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By ch13696

The good thing about the Wii is that there is a way to downgrade. Not sure how to go about it but it's there. And I have the homebrew channel installed also. Other people need to stop bitching because There's games out there that I'd like to play but can't because it's not in the Wii Shop.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By fuzzyponken

Man, you people are fucking assholes. If you don't care, what the fuck are you doing here?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

do not install cause it gets rid of homebrew=I cant pirate any more.
    and please stop with your weak defenses, the major and overt reason to hack your Wii is to play pirate games, you may be able to do other things but thats true of every hacked system ever but still the major reason to do it is to pirate.

I do it. My wii is hacked...though I never played it...which is just sad..I have a hacked wii and still dont play it.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Zidd said:
    " @Mmmslash: The emulators have pretty bad compatibility. What good is an emulator for n64 games if I can't play any of them?  I looked at the wiibrew stuff because I wanted to see if it was as good as the homebrew scene that was on the PSP. It isn't. "
    I have been able to play every game I have wanted on Project64. Haven't had one problem.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mmmslash
    @SpikeSpiegel:  We're talking PSP N64 emulation (Dadelus) vs. Wii N64 emulation (Wii64). Obviously, PC N64 emulation makes us all look like twats.
    S2333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By S2333

Is it just me or are Nintendo's updates all about stopping piracy, they don't seem to introduce new features or channels just new anti piracy measures.
    Seems a bit harsh for us legitimate players.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho

I'm only here because I searched the term "dick wagon".

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By mubblegum

I don't think I've updated my Wii for about a year now...

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

How do you know enough to get the homebrew stuff working right, but not enough to realize that firmware updates get rid of that stuff?  Most systems don't even warn  you or anything, but Nintendo straight-up tells you when you install, "Don't install this if you have unlicensed software because it might not work after!"  Really man, you aren't telling us anything that Nintendo doesn't let you know on the download screen.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zidd
    @Mmmslash: Yeah the PSP n64 stuff is pretty bad. I was looking at compatability on the wiibrew wiki a few weeks ago. 

@SpikeSpiegel: Even the best n64 emulators on PC can't run any of the Factor 5 games.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Atomic_Tangerine said:
    " How do you know enough to get the homebrew stuff working right, but not enough to realize that firmware updates get rid of that stuff?  Most systems don't even warn  you or anything, but Nintendo straight-up tells you when you install, "Don't install this if you have unlicensed software because it might not work after!"  Really man, you aren't telling us anything that Nintendo doesn't let you know on the download screen. "
    Accident.  I had not had the thing turned on in months and they said a firmware update was available and without thinking what I had done, it was already installing the update, and didn't really want to turn the system off and possibly really mess it up.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By toowalrus

You should have specified that you only need to avoid the update if you're a fucking asshole.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By Willy105

I don't hack unauthorized content on my console, so I am good.

@mubblegum said:

" I don't think I've updated my Wii for about a year now... "

The Wii doesn't get updated that fast. The OS barely receives any updates compared to those of the Xbox 360 and PS3 OS's.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    @Mmmslash said:
    " @Emilio:  Because the Homebrew community for the Wii is huge and amazing? "
    The emulator community is. Haha.
    Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sabata
    @WickedCobra03: Most people with custom firmware/homebrew know not to install updates because they know it'll mess up the homebrew so this topic is kind of pointless. 

P.S. you're kinda dumb bro
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Sabata said:
    " @WickedCobra03: Most people with custom firmware/homebrew know not to install updates because they know it'll mess up the homebrew so this topic is kind of pointless.  P.S. you're kinda dumb bro "
    P.S. I know I am kind of dumb.  I never even thought about it, but I kind of wanted to check out some of the Virtual Console games and buy one, so, like I said, was not thinking.

And all I was trying to get across in this thread is that Nintendo's update is pointless as it does not improve the user experience in any way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.