Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Nintendo has a new and surprising game on the way - what is it?

• 90 results
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @oldschool said:
    " @Blair said:
    " I was just saying how I would LOVE a new 2D/3D Donkey Kong Country.   The chances of that on the Wii are slim, though.   First party Nintendo games that come out around the holidays always evoke a lot of nostalgia.   I'm excited to see where this goes. "
    I agree, only the cynics think otherwise.  Life as a cynic must be sad. "
    Well Rare made those games and I dont know if you know this, but Microsoft bought Rare.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @JeffGoldblum said:

" Well Rare made those games and I dont know if you know this, but Microsoft bought Rare. "

Well I don't know if you know this but Nintendo owns anything and everything Donkey Kong and just as easily as they assigned it to Rare they could assign it to one of their other studios that they deemed worthy enough to keep and not sell to Microsoft or anyone else. Nintendo doesn't exactly lack in teams experienced with the platforming genre, considering their most known characters and their games...
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#53  Edited By AgentJ
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Blair said:
    " I was just saying how I would LOVE a new 2D/3D Donkey Kong Country.   The chances of that on the Wii are slim, though.   First party Nintendo games that come out around the holidays always evoke a lot of nostalgia.   I'm excited to see where this goes. "
    Well Rare made those games and I dont know if you know this, but Microsoft bought Rare. "
    It's not like they own the platforming genre. It wouldn't be difficult for Nintendo to make a new Donkey Kong Country that played if not the same, very similar to the originals. 
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Brunchies

They need to make a new Starfox that has Starfox 64 gameplay and no foot missions, A new F-Zero game would also be fantastic.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By ajamafalous
    @basal1sk said:
    " donkey kong dating sim "
    I'll take 3.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Linkyshinks

My guess is it's either Pilotwings or F-Zero. 

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By thebipsnbeeps
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " My guess is it's either Pilotwings or F-Zero.  "
    I want it to be Pilotwings myself. I'd be disappointed if it'd be anything else. It might be that Legend of Zelda game that was rumored to be in the works a while back.  Maybe Kid Icarus? Maybe? >_> <_<

I support Star Fox, Mach Rider, and Ice Climbers, by the way. Tis good. Still. I want my dern Pilotwings 64 sequel already.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#58  Edited By oldschool
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Blair said:
    Well Rare made those games and I dont know if you know this, but Microsoft bought Rare. "
    Jeff, what are you doing?  I want to be real sarcastic, and say "NO SHIT SHERLOCK" and remind you that Nintendo own Donkey Kong, but others beat me to it and I like you, so I will assume you are having a bad day  ^-^  I mean, who doesn't like Jeff Goldblum?  No-one, that's who.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By rjayb89

Wii Garden..... Resort.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@oldschool said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " Using the Metroid Prime Trilogy as some kind of omen doesn't sit well with me. "
    Maybe Pikmin 3 is closer than they admit and there will be a Pikmin Trilogy?  Doubt it though. 

@Halberdierv2 said:
    " Donkey Kong 128! "
    A full remake and update of Donkey Kong Country 1, 2  & 3 would be better. "
    I would buy a Wii again just for that.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By Claude

Huge F-Zero fan, so my fingers are crossed. I could go for a new Donkey Kong game as well. I'm not a big Starfox fan and knowing my luck, that's probably it.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#62  Edited By willin

I'd put money on Pikmin 3.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63  Edited By Willy105
    @AgentJ said:

" @JeffGoldblum said:

" @oldschool said:
    " @Blair said:
    It's not like they own the platforming genre. It wouldn't be difficult for Nintendo to make a new Donkey Kong Country that played if not the same, very similar to the originals.  "
    They already did. It's called Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and it's on New Play Control for Wii. 
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Claude
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " DK Jungle Beat Wii is hardly the same as DK Country, it's an inferior version of the Gamecube game that has gameplay which is different. 

@Claude:  

The English creator of Starfox has said no game is in the works a while back, and if it was. he would know. 

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/694530/original-star-fox-creator-not-interested-in-making-star-fox-for-wii.html "
    He called the Wii a toy when even thinking of motion plus. That's a slap in the face. Don't you think?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " DK Jungle Beat Wii is hardly the same as DK Country, it's an inferior version of the Gamecube game that has gameplay which is different. "
    I love my Bongos on that (I actually have 4 sets of bongos and both the Japanese and English version of DK:JB - it is awesome).  No bongos, no point.
    blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By blair
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Blair said:
    That's why I prefaced my excitement with the statement, " The chances of that on the Wii are slim, though".
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By Black_Rose

The "out of nowehre" part makes me fell like it's going to be a sequel to a recently released game, maybe a new Paper mario or Batallion Wars or something like that.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By DanielJW

I hope it's Aladdin 2.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Claude
    @oldschool said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " DK Jungle Beat Wii is hardly the same as DK Country, it's an inferior version of the Gamecube game that has gameplay which is different. "
    I love my Bongos on that (I actually have 4 sets of bongos and both the Japanese and English version of DK:JB - it is awesome).  No bongos, no point. "
    I had a friend here on this site that thought DK Jungle Beat Wii was cool and even better than the original if not a little short, but still cool.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#71  Edited By Hailinel

Urban Champion 2.  You heard it here first.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#72  Edited By jakob187

LUIGI'S MANSION?!  FUCK YEAH!!!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#73  Edited By Hailinel
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " DK Jungle Beat Wii is hardly the same as DK Country, it's an inferior version of the Gamecube game that has gameplay which is different. 

@Claude:  

The English creator of Starfox has said no game is in the works a while back, and if it was. he would know. 

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/694530/original-star-fox-creator-not-interested-in-making-star-fox-for-wii.html "
    Star Fox Assault was developed by Namco, though, and Rare made Star Fox Adventures.  There's no reason to think that this guy would be involved in a new game.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By AgentJ
    @Claude said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    I love my Bongos on that (I actually have 4 sets of bongos and both the Japanese and English version of DK:JB - it is awesome).  No bongos, no point. "
    I had a friend here on this site that thought DK Jungle Beat Wii was cool and even better than the original if not a little short, but still cool. "
    It's certainly a better game than its given credit for, since a lot of people simple degrade it for using that peripheral
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AgentJ

Well it looks like Excitebike was this game. I'm kind of dissapointed. I mean, I'm happy that Excitebike is making a return, and an online return at that, but I was hoping for a full game.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Cadmus

I thought the surprise was Epic Mickey.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AgentJ
    @Cadmus said:
    " I thought the surprise was Epic Mickey. "
    The OP implied that the game was something from internal Nintendo. 
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By nick_verissimo

Unless it's zelda, I really don't care.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Cadmus
    @AgentJ:
    oh well i hope it's something besides excitebikes lol
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80  Edited By torus

None of those games would surprise me. 

A new IP out of Nintendo would surprise me.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By bubahula

totally spies totally mini game collection: new play control. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By oldschool
    @Cadmus said:
    " @AgentJ: oh well i hope it's something besides excitebikes lol "
    Nope, it was Excite Bike for WiiWare. 

Excite Bike WiiWare is NEW and it was SURPRISING.  Then, the title was correct.  Did it EXCITE me (pun intended), no.  This for me is a massive letdown and of no interest to me at all.  I am sure it will be good and people will have fun with it, but I wanted a major retail release of an old, classic IP.  Not to worry though, as there are some great games on their way, like Final Fantasy, so I am still a happy gamer.
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By sfighter21

DUDE!!  A new, revamped DK country game would be awesome!!  Or even just a remake of 1,2, and 3 would be awesome.....well, mainly just 1 and 2, lol.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Cadmus
    @oldschool:
    Yes, but FInal Fantasy will be on the PS360.  It's shocking how sad and pathetic the wii has come where now big wigs will tout NEW AND EXCITING games and then you just get a lame wiiware games like excite mikes.  C'mon, of course there will be somebody that will enjoy excitebikes, but those people let's face it are kinda lame when they come to games so I don't see how Ninty should get a pass here.  If a sony or microsoft rep had touted a new and exciting game and then presented excitebikes they would have been laughed at.  But ninty always gets a pass.  It's like people have accepted that the wii is for morons (without the stigma) and so now every lame game is OK for the system.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Cadmus said:

" @oldschool: Yes, but FInal Fantasy will be on the PS360. "

He's talking about The Crystal Bearers on Wii which I'm sure he believes is even more new and exciting than FFXIII. If the Wii doesn't have games for you, fine, but don't pretend it's how every gamer feels as to call it objectively shocking and sad and whatever else you personally feel, while at the same putting down gamers who enjoy things you don't as "lame" or whatever else you wish. How pathetic do you have to be?
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Willy105

It's Excitebike World Rally, confirmed.

Much better than expected!
    Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Cadmus
    @Al3xand3r:
    That's just a game that's riding the coat-tails of the main series.  I'm surprised you're excited in that game.  And I find it hypocritical that the wii is judged at a lower (it's not different it's clearly lower) standard then the PS360.  I also find it shocking that you'd stoop to personally insult me by calling me pathetic.  You seemed very mature last night.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Al3xand3r

I called you pathetic for putting down gamers (or their ability to game) based on if they'll enjoy excitebike, considering it's a title that pretty much any gamer may find himself playing at some point, because it's a quick "casual" ride, because of its nostalgia factor, or other reasons. As for why I'm more excited for The Crystal Bearers, it's exactly because it's not using the same tired formula FFXIII adheres to. If you're happy with that, that's fine by me, but this game being something new and exciting as yourself asked for earlier is certainly more enticing to me. It's a new direction for Square, they're trying to actually make a fun game without drama pretentions and emo protagonists for once, and I look forward to it, as that's what Final Fantasy used to be about before FFVIII. Adventure. It's why games like Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Final Fantasy IX, Nostalgia, and others are enjoyed by many who cringe at the thought of another soap opera plot. The fact it appears to have more in common with Zelda in its mechanics, to scale overworld, action based focus, while keeping a robust and varied fighting system and changing what would be boring cut-scenes in other Final Fantasy games into interactive sequences that completely change the playing mechanics is a bonus. The Wii will get its more traditional JRPG fix with Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Graces and Dragon Quest X anyway, there's no harm in having variety and new things. Perhaps you need to look into the game further than its name and you'll appreciate the fusion of styles and the developers' intentions. It's hardly a quick cash-in afterthought as it's been in development nearly as long as XIII with its team including talented individuals like the IX team.

As for it riding on the coat tails of the main series, every FF game of the past decade rides on the coat tails of VII anyway. It's just a name, they do what they want. The Crystal Bearers will clearly not sell as much as XIII since it's not a numbered Final Fantasy and even carries the Crystal Chronicles branding that has lost its charm despite it being completely different to past titles, but since when does that matter to gamers? Sales don't make the game, I don't see why it matters if it tries to ride on the coat tails of a popular brand, that's not an argument in any way as the popularity is independent to the fun you'll get, otherwise you'd be praising the Wii here, but you obviously aren't, and of course shouldn't be if you don't like its games. It's still baffling you'll consider me a less capable gamer if between my playing of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Left 4 Dead 2 I get a round of Excitebike World Rally in, or if I prefer to play The Crystal Bearers over FFXIII. Since when is your taste the only good, proper, serious gamer taste? Since when does playing all these different games mean I'm giving a free pass to Nintendo instead of, you know, having fun and considering all these games to be equally worthy of my time as they all provide entertainment I can get into? Meh.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Scooper
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " I called you pathetic for putting down gamers (or their ability to game) based on if they'll enjoy excitebike, considering it's a title that pretty much any gamer may find himself playing at some point, because it's a quick "casual" ride, because of its nostalgia factor, or other reasons. As for why I'm more excited for The Crystal Bearers, it's exactly because it's not using the same tired formula FFXIII adheres to. If you're happy with that, that's fine by me, but this game being something new and exciting as yourself asked for earlier is certainly more enticing to me. It's a new direction for Square, they're trying to actually make a fun game without drama pretentions and emo protagonists for once, and I look forward to it, as that's what Final Fantasy used to be about before FFVIII. Adventure. It's why games like Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Final Fantasy IX, Nostalgia, and others are enjoyed by many who cringe at the thought of another soap opera plot. The fact it appears to have more in common with Zelda in its mechanics, to scale overworld, action based focus, while keeping a robust and varied fighting system and changing what would be boring cut-scenes in other Final Fantasy games into interactive sequences that completely change the playing mechanics is a bonus. The Wii will get its more traditional JRPG fix with Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Graces and Dragon Quest X anyway, there's no harm in having variety and new things. Perhaps you need to look into the game further than its name and maybe you'll appreciate the fusion of styles and the intentions of the developers more. If not, oh well. Enjoy FFXIII. "
    I've got to agree with alot of that. I can't stand the plots and characters in some of these new JRPGs. I'd much rather play The Crystal Bearers then FFXIII. Although I'd rather play alot of other games over both of them.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Willy105

Wow! Another person that agrees that The Crystal Bearers looks like a better game than FF13. I was excited for FF13, but when I saw footage of it, I was dissapointed, and when I saw the trailers for The Crystal Bearers, I was blown away. It actually looked like the Final Fantasy games I grew up with, with the exciting story-lines, the great action pieces, and the general poking of fun at itself. FF14 is also like this.

Unless FF13 proves me wrong, I am skipping it for The Crystal Bearers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.