Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Nintendo’s Red October: Mario Anniversary Red Wii, DSi XL Come Stateside

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

Earlier this month, Nintendo revealed their plans to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the release of the original Super Mario Bros on the NES: by driving all of Japan completely Mario-crazy. First, Nintendo revealed a special edition red DSi XL, emblazoned with popular Mario iconography. Following that, Nintendo announced a special edition 25th Anniversary red Wii, complete with a red Wii Remote Plus (that’s the one with the built-in Motion Plus Adaptor!) and a special modified anniversary version of the original Super Mario Bros on the console. It was all festive and fun, but there was no confirmation that either of the recolored consoles would make their way out of Japan at all.

Until now, that is. Kotaku is reporting that both Mario 25th Anniversary consoles— the Red DSi XL and the Red Wii—would both be coming stateside in the near future.

I would have liked to have seen that Super Mario Bros Anniversary rom.   

== TEASER ==The Red DSi XL bundle comes with that special edition of the hardware, as well as a copy of Mario Kart DS and three great DSiWare games ( two-thirds of Brain Age: Express and the Photo Clock), all for the DSi XL’s standard $180 retail price. No announced released date has been reported at this time, but with the 3DS on the way before too long, I have to imagine that this special edition DSi will be out before years end. 

The 25th Anniversary Mario Wii bundle, however, does have a release date; expect the Wii bundle to pop out of a pipe on November 7 in the U.S. And it’s pretty good bundle set: you’ll get the red Wii, a Red Wii Remote Plus, a red Nunchuk, Wii Sports, and New Super Mario Bros Wii, which is perfect, because you can’t release a Mario-themed console bundle if it ain’t got a Mario game in it, and NSMBWii is like an old Mario game, except that it's more like playing a less-old Mario game that isn't getting it's anniversary release this year, but no one is going to know the difference anyway. And you'll get all of that for the Wii's standard $200 price. 

Unfortunately, that copy of NSMBWii will be the only Mario game in the bundle; the special modified 25th Anniversary version of Super Mario Bros will not be included with the package. Still, if you're thinking about picking up a new Wii right now—like, for instance, if a really awesome looking game that will finally drain the cynicism out of your mind was released, but you needed a Wii to play it—this bundle sounds like a pretty good way to go about it.

If nothing else, hopefully these red Wii consoles will get the ball rolling for Nintendo to release other colored consoles. What other game-themed color would you like to see rendered in iPod plastic on a Wii? A green Zelda Wii? A yellow Pikachu Wii? A pink Kirby Wii?
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Earlier this month, Nintendo revealed their plans to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the release of the original Super Mario Bros on the NES: by driving all of Japan completely Mario-crazy. First, Nintendo revealed a special edition red DSi XL, emblazoned with popular Mario iconography. Following that, Nintendo announced a special edition 25th Anniversary red Wii, complete with a red Wii Remote Plus (that’s the one with the built-in Motion Plus Adaptor!) and a special modified anniversary version of the original Super Mario Bros on the console. It was all festive and fun, but there was no confirmation that either of the recolored consoles would make their way out of Japan at all.

Until now, that is. Kotaku is reporting that both Mario 25th Anniversary consoles— the Red DSi XL and the Red Wii—would both be coming stateside in the near future.

== TEASER ==The Red DSi XL bundle comes with that special edition of the hardware, as well as a copy of Mario Kart DS and three great DSiWare games ( two-thirds of Brain Age: Express and the Photo Clock), all for the DSi XL’s standard $180 retail price. No announced released date has been reported at this time, but with the 3DS on the way before too long, I have to imagine that this special edition DSi will be out before years end. 

The 25th Anniversary Mario Wii bundle, however, does have a release date; expect the Wii bundle to pop out of a pipe on November 7 in the U.S. And it’s pretty good bundle set: you’ll get the red Wii, a Red Wii Remote Plus, a red Nunchuk, Wii Sports, and New Super Mario Bros Wii, which is perfect, because you can’t release a Mario-themed console bundle if it ain’t got a Mario game in it, and NSMBWii is like an old Mario game, except that it's more like playing a less-old Mario game that isn't getting it's anniversary release this year, but no one is going to know the difference anyway. And you'll get all of that for the Wii's standard $200 price. 

Unfortunately, that copy of NSMBWii will be the only Mario game in the bundle; the special modified 25th Anniversary version of Super Mario Bros will not be included with the package. Still, if you're thinking about picking up a new Wii right now—like, for instance, if a really awesome looking game that will finally drain the cynicism out of your mind was released, but you needed a Wii to play it—this bundle sounds like a pretty good way to go about it.

If nothing else, hopefully these red Wii consoles will get the ball rolling for Nintendo to release other colored consoles. What other game-themed color would you like to see rendered in iPod plastic on a Wii? A green Zelda Wii? A yellow Pikachu Wii? A pink Kirby Wii?
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Ace829

Pink Kirby Wii. Make it happen.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

But what about Super Mario All-Stars or whatever they're calling it this time? Are we going to get that? :(

I'd kind of like them to release it in multiple colours independently of some game tie-in. How many colours was the GameCube available in? A lot more than the Wii.

TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheLastNeo

FUCK. so close.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MisterMouse

I only wish it was a better red

comradecrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By comradecrash

Looks cool. But this late in the cylce, I might just wait until a new one comes.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By bonbolapti
    @Ace829 said:
    " Pink Kirby Wii. Make it happen. "
    lool pink
    dvdwalker8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By dvdwalker8

That is really cool looking. Good value too. I only wish I had the money to buy it. Even if I had the money though, I would probably spend it on a bunch of games for my 360 instead.
    turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By turbo_toaster

They should have rolled out the colors way earlier. Maybe it's harder to forget about the Wii if it's red.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#10  Edited By Brackynews
    @Ace829 said:

" Pink Kirby Wii. Make it happen. "

Give me a pink, Vasily?  One pink only, please.  (BTW, totally not my image. ^_^)
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Ace829
    @Brackynews:  That picture...IT'S BEAUTIFUL!
    Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By weegieanawrench
    @Brackynews: Wow dude, that's amazing. Good job!
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

I prefer my consoles in black.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Alphazero

Give me a ping, Reggie. One ping only please.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By MormonWarrior

I already pre-ordered this from Amazon. I own the SNES Super Mario All-Stars and you can get all the original Mario games super cheap on the Virtual Console, so whatever.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mattbodega
    @Brackynews:  KILLING IT, SIR!
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#17  Edited By Brackynews
    @weegieanawrench:@MattBodega: Thanks, but only an example of my Google skills. However, I do love modding my cases.  Kirby Wii would go nicely with my Triforce 360. At this rate I'll have an entire Smash Bros lineup. 

I'm gonna have to get me some yarn.
    rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By rjpelonia

A green Zelda Wii? No. A gold Zelda Wii? Very yes.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By MrKlorox

I miss old Nintendo from the GBC/N64 days. Those cats knew what colors were back then.

Should have gone with Luigi green.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

I want a Kirby Wii. Made from colourful yarn. 
    And while it's in standby I want it to quietly hum delightfully happy music.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By biospank

Nintendo DSi LL (Super Mario 25th Anniversary Edition) 
    I wants it
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By nintendoeats

There was a mock-up that somebody did of an NES themed Wii. I want that. But I was also hoping that they would launch with the red one that was in the promo shots. So now I have do decide whether I need another Wii or not. And the answer is no.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Example1013

Yellow pikachu Wii with pikachu stripes would be PRE-ORDER for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know what the difference is in the SMB Anniversary game?

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By confideration

One ping only please

Goopynose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Goopynose

Red seems a bit girly.. which isn't good because girls don't buy Wiis.

Benjo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Benjo

Sounds like a good time for me to get a DSi XL.  The Wii version doesn't really make a lot of sense though.  Interesting how the 25th anniversary of Mario doesn't include the 25th anniversary Mario game.

OMGTSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OMGTSN

I received an e-mail from Nintendo claiming that the Red Wii and DSi XL will be in stores November 7th.

On a side note: is there any way for me to trade mine in for one? I'm afraid that if I do, I'd lose all of my data :(

StandStrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StandStrong

I have been planning on adding a Wii to the console collection. Since it's not more expensive in red, I am getting this for sure. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.