Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Satoru Iwata On E3

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

This past E3 was a decent showing for Nintendo, however company president Satoru Iwata believes Nintendo can improve significantly. Despite revealing the follow up to Super Mario Galaxy, a co-op "classic" Mario game, and a surprise Team Ninja Metroid game, for a large number of fans including myself, the press event seemed lacking and sometimes unappealing.

Iwata hopes to be able to convey future products in a more fun and relevant way:

As for the media briefing at E3, of course we had many internal discussions after that. Honestly speaking, none of us at Nintendo thought that our presentation at E3 was as good as it could have been. It is apparent that we could not fully convey the charm of our products. In the past, Wii Sports and Wii Fit were naturally able to convey their appeal on stage since it was something no one had ever seen or imagined before. People seemed to capture the appeal of Wii Sports instantly and although there was some initial confusion with Wii Fit, its appeal did get through to the audience afterwards. This year, however, with the New Super Mario Bros. Wii, four people lined up with Wii Remotes was not a scene that no one had ever seen. Those who actually had the chance to play understood how the game would change with four people playing simultaneously, but we could not address that fun sentiment at the media briefing.

Now we strongly feel that we need to look into finding a better way to demonstrate the products' appeal better at E3 in these times where more people are watching it online via web cast not only in the U.S. but all around the world, than the number of audience who actually watch it in the theatre. In that sense, we learned many lessons from this year's E3 show. After the media briefing, we had a domestic trade briefing in Japan. There we disclosed the black Wii console and red Nintendo DSi, which made a big buzz among game fans. It is also an important lesson for next year.

Thanks to Nintendo Everything.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well they promised improvements from 08 and they sure as hell did that for 09. Good to know they're still not satisfied. Have Cammy a little more excited (but not hyper mode like last year), skip having her play games she sucks at (the NSMB Wii stage demo made it look crap, the trailer's much nicer), focus more on showing games/footage, (why did they neglect showing games like Sin & Punishment 2?), and it'll be pretty sweet.

Oh, it should also be faster paced. It's better to risk showing too little of a game than having a stage demo people don't enjoy drag on and on. After all, people will get to play/watch more of these games over the next days anyway, you don't have to show every completed aspect there.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By demontium
    @Linkyshinks: I could care less how Iwata conveys his products (although they do need to fix it) I care more about the substance.

But at least he gave us assurance.

I dont know if I could trust him because Reggie said @ GTTV and Gamespot that this E3 was gonna be one of their best.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

The content is always of paramount importance, but at the same time Nintendo do need to remember what E3 is about.  The fact is they did have some good content to show, but sadly it was shown in a very poor fashion, and more so given what they had to show this year, over last.   Apparently even games like Sin and Punishment 2, which Nintendo asked people to try out on the floor, were tucked away in the dark corners of it.  Zelda Spirit Tracks should have had a stage demo also.

I found it to be a choppy unsettling and sometimes nonsensical presentation, with no clear division and far too much focus on a fraction of Nintendo's audience, who are simply not going to be at E3,  The stuff they focus on at their shows with all the crap charts and smiley faces is on going to shift negative opinion from the gamers that attend the show. That negative opinion filters out naturally.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, they at least realize that they need to step it up . Nintendo's 08 conference was so... bad. (Puts up flame shield) This year was much better, but still too much talking about stuff nobody cares about.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThomasP

I really enjoyed the announcements, but the delivery could have been better. They also left out key games like Sin & Punishment 2 and Tats vs Capcom.

Emmenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Emmenite

It's good to see that at least Nintendo isn't totally oblivious to the lameness of their press conferences.  Honestly, though, Nintendo hasn't had a truly memorable one since they introduced Reggie.  I usually don't want to wish any bad upon anyone, but that Cammie girl has got to go.  We might as well get Sarah Palin up there as their spokesperson.   

But I guess we can't blame the guys who make the presentations too much.  Really, it's Nintendo's fault for not having any games worth showing us.  

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By CoolDrMoney
    @demontium said:
    " @Linkyshinks: I could care less how Iwata conveys his products (although they do need to fix it) I care more about the substance.  But at least he gave us assurance.  I dont know if I could trust him because Reggie said @ GTTV and Gamespot that this E3 was gonna be one of their best. "
    Reggie lies. He told IGN that Mario 128 would appear at Nintendo's E3 2005 press conference. It didn't. I was crushed and I never forgave him. At least until E3 06 rolled around and everything made sense again.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By demontium
    @CoolDrMoney: That isnt a lie, more like a canceled/renamed preoject.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Willy105
    @CoolDrMoney said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Linkyshinks: I could care less how Iwata conveys his products (although they do need to fix it) I care more about the substance.  But at least he gave us assurance.  I dont know if I could trust him because Reggie said @ GTTV and Gamespot that this E3 was gonna be one of their best. "
    Reggie lies. He told IGN that Mario 128 would appear at Nintendo's E3 2005 press conference. It didn't. I was crushed and I never forgave him. At least until E3 06 rolled around and everything made sense again. "

Mario 128 = Mario Galaxy 

Remember that Mario 128 is the name given to all the projects that were spawned from the Gamecube tech demo in 2000, including Pikmin and Galaxy.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

They should just relive their press conference in '05.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.