Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Should I buy a Wii?

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KevinK

That's right. Not a Wii U - a Wii. 

I am primarily a PC gamer but I also have a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 for my Halos and Uncharteds. I had zero interest in the Wii throughout its run, save for the Silent Hill: Homecoming and the Virtual Console - which is what this thread is about.  

Virtual Console seemed like a cool collection of old games. I lived in a Sega house growing up, so I never had a NES or SNES, so I missed all those games. Virtual Console always seemed like a cool way to play not only that stuff, but relive some hot Sega Genesis action as well as dabble with the TurboGrafx stuff on VC. 

I was considering getting a Wii U, but since none of these games are in HD anyway and the Wii U is literally emulating a Wii for the VC stuff, I don't see the point in paying more for a Wii U, especially when there could be some clearance sales on the OG Wii after the holidays.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By McGhee

I would buy a NES and a SNES before I'd buy a Wii.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

Well, the Wii has the bonus of also running Mario Galaxy 2.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By triple07

Sure, I enjoyed my Wii for the handful of excellent games that came out for it and the Virtual Console is pretty awesome in my opinion.

Plus they just announced the Wii Mini for $100 if thats your thing.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I've been thinking the same thing. I think I might try and get one of the older models, not the Wii mini, if they drop in price. There were some enjoyable games released and like you pointed out the Virtual Console has some great stuff on there. I think now that everything about the Wii is dropping in price it might be time to finally get one.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By handlas

Nope.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Kerned

I bet it would be worth it for you at this point. They can be found for just over $100 these days, and if there are games you know you would play why not go for it? Also, you will have like 6 whole years of games to catch up on. Even if you only have an interest playing the very best the Wii has to offer, it would probably still be worth it. I've been thinking about doing the same thing myself.

CellBit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By CellBit

I would definitely recommend getting a Wii if you want to relive the glory days of 2D goodness. You can even find some used ones on Amazon for about 50 bucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.