Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Should Nintendo have worldwide release s

Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

While I like Nintendo alot some of there release dates are just annoying for certain games. I mean Super Paper Mario was released in April 2006 in the US and Japan and Europe has to wait till September. Super Smash Bros Brawl is released January 31st in Japan and March 9th in the US and Europe has to wait until the end of June to play. What are you impressions should Nintendo start releasing games worldwide.

RowdyRob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By RowdyRob

Of course they should. Or have 2/3 days max between the European and American releases.

Gaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Gaius

I definitely think that the U.S. and Europe should have simultaneous release.  There's no reason that there should be a delay, I mean, how much localization can there be between the U.S. version and the European version?  The only thing I can think of is NTSC v. PAL.  As for japan, I don't think it would be a good idea for simultaneous release with Japan.  Translating something into Japanese or vice versa takes a lot of time, which would delay the game for everyone, however, if they can pull it off quickly though, there's no reason not to have simultaneous release.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By OGCartman

Yah, that would be great

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Earthbounder

It would be perfect but I think it will never happen. There is too much translation and localization involved.

PaperMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By PaperMario
    Earthbounder said:
    There is too much translation and localization involved.
    That's what I was thinking. How many different languages does Nintendo typically support in Europe? French? German? Spanish? Italian? Portuguese? Swedish? Norwegian? Greek? I don't even know. The mind boggles.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By oldschool

The most annoying part for Australians is that there is only one official language, English, yet, it is tied to European releases, which are delayed mainly due to the European language translations. Australia should just be linked with the USA and Canada.

It is the stupid release delays (and the ridiculous cost of games in Australia), that drove me to importing games. I was playing Animal Crossing on the Cube for well over a year before a local release was made, yet the released game was exactly the same as the US version - Thanksgiving included. England had to wait even longer than Australia.

The same applies to Harvest Moon games. There seems to be about a years difference in release dates - if they get released at all. Case in point, Magic Melody. It waited until it was made as a Wii release recently (and only half the game at that), yet, I picked up the US version on release a couple of years ago.

The most obvious solution is to ditch region coding. It is anachronistic in a free enterprise world, to not have countries compete, instead of restrictive trade practices that force prices up in countries like Australia, New Zealand and England.

My problem has been solved by owning 2 Wii consoles, one PAL and one NTSC. Odd as it is, the NTSC version cost me lover $100 less than the local version.

In a perfect world, Japanese games would benefit from English subtitles and I wouldn’t have to wade through Japanese text (which I regularly do anyway). That isn’t about to happen though.

WolfODonnell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By WolfODonnell

Yes they should, even if they have to hold back the USA + Japan releases. I've got several complaints from my less Nintendo hardcore friends about Brawl's delay in the UK and how Microsoft always makes sure that they have a worldwide release. Although with Nintendo's stubborness, I doubt this is going to happen, unless everyone else starts doing it...

Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

I know GTA4,Halo 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 all were released worldwide. It seems as though Nintendo are the only ones who don't like to release there games worldwide. It's happened since the NES days.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Homer

They defintly should.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By SSbabel

I agree with you, but my opinion is to do it only with there big blockbuster games.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coakroach

Lol @ Nintendos vendetta against Australia

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.