Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

The 10 most avidly played Wii games in North America, October

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Siris

That's pretty... sad.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

meh.. 

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DanielJW
    @Siris said:
    " That's pretty... sad. "
    Maybe I just don't understand the graph... but why?
    KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KennyPowers

Im surprised wii sports isnt on there at all, unless theres no way to track that since there is no online

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond
    @KennyPowers: I think this depends on people downloading the Nintendo channel and registering their playtime.  So this will count a disproportionate amount of videogame enthusiasts over the more casual market.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ

Good to see that Fire Emblem is getting a lot of love. it's also good to see that crap like Lego Star Wars is making its way to the bottom. Hopefully another game like Metroid Prime Trilogy can supplant it soon

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Can't believe Lego Star Wars is on there.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Can't believe Lego Star Wars is on there. "
    Well there are a lot of tykes that use the Wii. It shouldn't be surprising that the kids would have at least one game on there
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Willy105
    @JJOR64 said:
    You have it? That game is huge. I had it for a year, and I am at 40%. 

@AgentJ said:
    " Good to see that Fire Emblem is getting a lot of love. it's also good to see that crap like Lego Star Wars is making its way to the bottom. Hopefully another game like Metroid Prime Trilogy can supplant it soon "

Lego Star Wars is a very good game. What do you mean?

@Siris said:
    " That's pretty... sad. "

What's sad? 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Andorski

Man... I need to get a Wii again and get back into SSBB.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @AgentJ said:

" @JJOR64 said:

Well there are a lot of tykes that use the Wii. It shouldn't be surprising that the kids would have at least one game on there "
    Eh, I don't have the games but they seem to be well regarded on all systems they exist for, other than being too easy perhaps... Tykes?

Good for Rune Factory Frontier... Still not out in Europe...
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Black_Rose

I want to play Rune Factory so bad...still haven't found it. But good for Fire Emblem, fantastic game.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @Black_Rose said:
    " I want to play Rune Factory so bad...still haven't found it. But good for Fire Emblem, fantastic game. "
    Rune Factory is awesome and I am very pleased with the import.  I just picked up Tree of Tranquility yesterday, so I look forward to that.  SSBM had a massive workout at our Hallowe'en party last weekend.  I mainly play GH5 over III and that also got a massive workout at the same party.  I still play Animal Crossing and I must complete Zelda.  That's 6 of them I have, but I must get Fire Emblem dammit.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By demontium
    @Godwind: RUNE FACTORY AND HARVEST MOON ARE ON THAT LIST OMFG!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

This chart really isn't that accurate of an indicator.  For the stats to be truly accurate, everyone with a Wii would need to connect their console to the internet (not everyone has), download the Nintendo Channel (not everyone has), and access the channel on a regular basis to keep the play stats up to date (not everyone does).

Essentially, this chart is just graphing information that is highly suspect and may not be truly representative of the console's userbase as a whole.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJOR64

I just noticed that Super Mario Galaxy isn't on there.  That sucks.  :(

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By moelarrycurly

No Wii Sports/Resort?  I'm surprised.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

fail

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Jeust

No muramasa... I'm sad :(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

That's a crazy spike with Animal Crossing.  Was there a mass outage of pedophiles from prison or something?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've played Rune Factory on the DS and the Wii port is pretty much the same at it's core albeit extra content and some modification of existing characters. I loved the DS version though so I'd imagine the Wii version would be better. I'm waiting for Muramasa to come out in two weeks since I've heard it's a great game. And there's nothing wrong with LEGO Star Wars! Also, I am not a pedophile!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Willy105
    @JJOR64 said:
    " I just noticed that Super Mario Galaxy isn't on there.  That sucks.  :( "
    It's a single player game from 3 years ago. No matter how good it is, people will stop playing it after a while, and keep playing the ones with multiplayer or newer games.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JJOR64
    @Willy105: Well, so is Zelda but, I guess Zelda does have more side stuff to do then Mario Galaxy.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Godwind
    @Hailinel said:

" This chart really isn't that accurate of an indicator.  For the stats to be truly accurate, everyone with a Wii would need to connect their console to the internet (not everyone has), download the Nintendo Channel (not everyone has), and access the channel on a regular basis to keep the play stats up to date (not everyone does).  Essentially, this chart is just graphing information that is highly suspect and may not be truly representative of the console's userbase as a whole. "

Even if you have the Wii connected to the internet and download the Nintendo channel, you can choose to block off information to Nintendo.

Rarely will statics be reflective of the whole.  It is however to give an idea where things relatively stand.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By demontium
    @Godwind said:
    " @Hailinel said:

" This chart really isn't that accurate of an indicator.  For the stats to be truly accurate, everyone with a Wii would need to connect their console to the internet (not everyone has), download the Nintendo Channel (not everyone has), and access the channel on a regular basis to keep the play stats up to date (not everyone does).  Essentially, this chart is just graphing information that is highly suspect and may not be truly representative of the console's userbase as a whole. "

Even if you have the Wii connected to the internet and download the Nintendo channel, you can choose to block off information to Nintendo.  Rarely will statics be reflective of the whole.  It is however to give an idea where things relatively stand. "
    In a way you are right, but think of how many people do not have their Wii's connected to Wi-Fi? 

Also, I am still amazed Rune Factory is avidly played!
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @AgentJ said:
    " Good to see that Fire Emblem is getting a lot of love. it's also good to see that crap like Lego Star Wars is making its way to the bottom. Hopefully another game like Metroid Prime Trilogy can supplant it soon "
    What's crap about Lego Star Wars exactly?  It may not have been particularly challenging, but it's long, there's a lot to unlock and it's very enjoyable especially on co-op.
    In my opinion, it's one of the few games there that actually deserves to be there.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AgentJ
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    What's crap about Lego Star Wars exactly?  It may not have been particularly challenging, but it's long, there's a lot to unlock and it's very enjoyable especially on co-op.In my opinion, it's one of the few games there that actually deserves to be there. "
    You hit the nail on the head with the challenge, and of what I played the humor wasn't especially breathtaking either. Granted I haven't played all of the game, but I have little doubt I understand what it was going to be. 
    Are you trying to tell me that Lego Star Wars is better than Brawl, or Fire Emblem, or Zelda? And if you want to say that it was better than Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, or Animal Crossing, I think Old School will want a word with you out behind the woodshed :P
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @AgentJ said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    What's crap about Lego Star Wars exactly?  It may not have been particularly challenging, but it's long, there's a lot to unlock and it's very enjoyable especially on co-op.In my opinion, it's one of the few games there that actually deserves to be there. "
    You hit the nail on the head with the challenge, and of what I played the humor wasn't especially breathtaking either. Granted I haven't played all of the game, but I have little doubt I understand what it was going to be. Are you trying to tell me that Lego Star Wars is better than Brawl, or Fire Emblem, or Zelda? And if you want to say that it was better than Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, or Animal Crossing, I think Old School will want a word with you out behind the woodshed :P "
    I would indeed claim that, none of those other games really have any amount of challenge either.  (with the possible exception of Fire Emblem which has never interested me).
    Lego Star Wars at least has the length and good old fashioned fun.  Though it would be nice if Lego Clone Wars could ramp up the difficulty at least a little.. puzzles that require some thought would be nice.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rallier

Only 45 hours in Rune Factory Frontiers??? Pfff Amateurs....

I have 73 registered hours over the 3 separate save files. I remember over writing a couple of save files. I remember dying A LOT... It would not surprise me if i have played close to 200 hours of that game.

And to think that i have yet to see the 4th season of the game.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I've never heard of Rune Factory, I'll have to check it out.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LiquidPrince

I expected Muramasa because that's the only thing I would play.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By apathylad
    @jakob187 said:
    " That's a crazy spike with Animal Crossing.  Was there a mass outage of pedophiles from prison or something? "
    Either that or children, because only children and pedophiles play Animal Crossing. :P
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Willy105
    @Apathylad said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " That's a crazy spike with Animal Crossing.  Was there a mass outage of pedophiles from prison or something? "
    Either that or children, because only children and pedophiles play Animal Crossing. :P "

Funny thing. The game isn't even being marketed for children, and isn't something children would normally like. Unless children like paying rent....
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By demonbear

I have a wii..........

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Godwind
    @demontium said:

" @Godwind said:

" @Hailinel said:

Even if you have the Wii connected to the internet and download the Nintendo channel, you can choose to block off information to Nintendo.  Rarely will statics be reflective of the whole.  It is however to give an idea where things relatively stand. "
    In a way you are right, but think of how many people do not have their Wii's connected to Wi-Fi?  Also, I am still amazed Rune Factory is avidly played! "

You can't say "think how many people don't have their Wiis connected to the internet" because there is nothing to think about.  If you asked "speculate how many people don't have their Wiis connected to the internet" would be a different story.  Nintendo doesn't give statics like that.  If you want to speculate, I could do that.

Mario Kart Sales
    I think I can comfortably say  the sales of Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart DS are directly related to online gameplay addition.
    Mario Kart 64, the hghest selling non-online Mario Kart game, sold 9.87million copies.
    Mario Kart DS has sold 16.06 million copies.
    Mario Kart Wii has sold 18.08 million copies.

It would be easy to say there are about 8 million Wii users that have their Wiis connected to the internet.  That is about 14% of Wii owners.  That may seem pretty low at first, however, there are a few things to consider.
    1) This is speculated on a single alone, and only considering the increase of sales as being the number of people who actually have their Wiis connected to the internet.
    2) It is possible for someone to not have a single online game and still be connected to the Internet.
    3) There are only 17 million Xbox Live users for the Xbox360.  That is 51% of the user base.  Interesting considering that the Xbox360 is selling point is meant to be internet connected related features.
    4) There are 26 million PS3 units sold.  However, PSN is usable on both the Playstation 3 and PSP, so we can't use PSN numbers, in addition, people can make multiple PSN accounts.  There are 7 million home users which would represent 27% of the PS3 user base. Keep in mind that Grand Theft Auto 4 sold 5.91 million copies, Call of Duty 4 sold 4.72 million copies and Metal Gear Solid 4 sold 4.29 million copies, the PS3s top selling games.  Where as home is a free software for use. 

I would say 14% is just a bit too low considering this is reflective of one franchise with the increase being the only considered as the numbers.  If every Mario Kart Wii user was connected online, that would be 32%, which seems to high.  My instanct feeling would that the number wiis connected to the internet is somewhere between 16% and 19%.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Willy105
    @Rallier said:

" Only 45 hours in Rune Factory Frontiers??? Pfff Amateurs....

I have 73 registered hours over the 3 separate save files. I remember over writing a couple of save files. I remember dying A LOT... It would not surprise me if i have played close to 200 hours of that game.  And to think that i have yet to see the 4th season of the game. "

What is the game like? I really want to know why it's repeatedly on the top most played charts and never appeared on the sales charts.

@demonbear said:
    " I have a wii.......... "

Congratulations.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rallier
    @Willy105 said:

" @Rallier said:

I have 73 registered hours over the 3 separate save files. I remember over writing a couple of save files. I remember dying A LOT... It would not surprise me if i have played close to 200 hours of that game.  And to think that i have yet to see the 4th season of the game. "

What is the game like? I really want to know why it's repeatedly on the top most played charts and never appeared on the sales charts.

Rune Factory is a spin-off franchise of Harvest Moon so a good chunk of the game is about farming but it also adds dungeon crawling, monster taming and item creation. In my opinion Frontiers it is one of the best game in the overall Harvest Moon franchise. It is not a big budget game and some things are a bit lacking but it is insanely addicting and there are plenty of things to do and go after. It is a really niche and unique genre so modest sales are to be expect.  

Edit: It is only out in the US, god bless Natsune for releasing the same game in different zones over a year separate.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By JonathanMoore

*Sheds a tear for Mario Galaxy*

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40  Edited By Geno

The most played game on the Wii averages about 5 hours per month per gamer.  

Yeah, people are totally playing the Wii. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Willy105
    @Rallier said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" @Rallier said:

Rune Factory is a spin-off franchise of Harvest Moon so a good chunk of the game is about farming but it also adds dungeon crawling, monster taming and item creation. In my opinion Frontiers it is one of the best game in the overall Harvest Moon franchise. It is not a big budget game and some things are a bit lacking but it is insanely addicting and there are plenty of things to do and go after. It is a really niche and unique genre so modest sales are to be expect.    Edit: It is only out in the US, god bless Natsune for releasing the same game in different zones over a year separate. "
    Neat! If it really lasts that long, it might be a better buy than some other games I wanted.

@Geno said:
    " The most played game on the Wii averages about 5 hours per month per gamer.   Yeah, people are totally playing the Wii.  "

Is that a lot or little? I can't tell. I play like 30 minutes a day, but there are some people I know that go for 8 hours.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Meowayne
    @Geno said:
    "Yeah, people are totally playing the Wii.  "
    Er, no. That is the entire point. People are not playing the console yet still feel like being able to comment on the library and quality of games.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43  Edited By Geno
    @Willy105: Well, 30 mins/day = 15 hours/month. Half an hour per day is already not very much, but factor in probably most of the people who have their Wii Wi-fi connected are also probably the most avid players...yeah. I play some games a day more than the most avid Wii players play their Wii in a month on average it seems. 
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Meowayne

You might want to have a look at that graph again, Geno?
    At its lowest point, Brawl was played 60 hours per month per average gamer. Where do you get the 15h/m from?

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By demontium
    @Godwind: That was actually not as long a read as it looks.... 

anyways, all I was saying was you gotta account for those people...
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46  Edited By damnboyadvance

Jeez, all of those are at least a year old right?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Godwind
    @demontium said:
    " @Godwind: That was actually not as long a read as it looks....  anyways, all I was saying was you gotta account for those people... "

But most likely isn't going to happen.  Keep in mind that Game Informers hardware stability article was evaluated against 5,000.  Keep in mind rarely is anyone ever going to count EVERY PERSON.  It nearly never happens.  You are looking for an estimate and you're looking for ballpark idea, not the all final solution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.