Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

What aspect do you want the next Zelda to focus on.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

Puzzles, Exploration, or Combat.

I personally want them to focus more on the puzzles. Combat is already fine as it is, and we got to explore a GIGANTIC Hyrule Field in Twilight Princess, but the one thing that's definetly getting stale are the puzzles. Alot of these we've already seen in previous games. How hard is it to realize you need to light two torches next to eachother to make a chest appear? Not really hard.

I just recently took a look at Zack and Wiki, and THAT is a game that has some of the best kind of puzzles I've seen, plus they make good use of the wiimote. Maybe if the Zelda dev team took a look at that game, that would be a good inspiration. At least we saw some pretty interesting puzzles in Phantom Hourglass, but that was a handheld zelda.

So, what do you think should be focused on more?

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DualReaver

I like the exploration, specially towns and talking to all the people seeing what's happenin'.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ArcBorealis
    DualReaver said:
    "I like the exploration, specially towns and talking to all the people seeing what's happenin'.
    "

Yeah, that's always cool.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I want to see them make you play as someone different, be it someone other than Link (maybe.......Zelda?) or as a Link unlike any before. Maybe they should take the MGS4 route and make you Old Link or something. I definitely want some fresh faces. The new characters were probably the best part about Twilight Princess, being Midna and Zant. The new characters can really spice up the game and cause it to transcend the normal expectations and capabilities that a game may have.

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By PaperPlain

How bout something different. LoZ is an amazing series, but it needs something new like what Four Swords did for it a while back. But I'd like them to focus on 1. Exploration 2. Combat 3. Puzzle. I hate the puzzles in the 3D LoZ's. Well I guess not all of them, but I do like them in the 2D games for some reason.

DJ_LaFleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DJ_LaFleur

All I need is them to up the difficulty, for combat and the puzzles.  I can breeze through most zelda games, I want some more challange. 

exploration is not that big a problem for me.  If it's something like OoT's or TP's, I'm good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
    deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i vote exploration. what if the linear path to the last boss only gave you half as many heart pieces and half as many purse upgrades? then if someone wanted everything, they would have to go out and explore the land. also varying terrain would be cool. and they should cut out some of the puzzles, a lot of them can get annoying and just get in the way of the actual game. more options in combat would also be good.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Virago

Agreed. The puzzles are lacking.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Dark_Link142

Combat. Puzzles are pretty clever already, although on the easy side, and exploration is pretty well done anyway.

Combat is so mindless. Tap the same button a few times and win. Enemies don't put up much of a fight either. It's a good thing that combat is also flashy and looks pretty cool in Zelda games. I liked how they introduced special attacks that Link can do (helm splitter, mortal draw, etc) but it's too bad they were useless because enemies didn't do anything to defend themselves.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArcBorealis
    Dark_Link142 said:
    "Combat. Puzzles are pretty clever already, although on the easy side, and exploration is pretty well done anyway.

Combat is so mindless. Tap the same button a few times and win. Enemies don't put up much of a fight either. It's a good thing that combat is also flashy and looks pretty cool in Zelda games. I liked how they introduced special attacks that Link can do (helm splitter, mortal draw, etc) but it's too bad they were useless because enemies didn't do anything to defend themselves.
    "
    Well, at least there were those times where you had to put up a good fight against the darknuts.
    Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Earthbounder

Character interaction. I would like it to have tons of sidequests related to supporting characters like Majora's Mask had. Back then I could easily spend hours walking around Clock town trying to discover something new.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By OGCartman

Exploration and Kickin Ass!

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By SSbabel

Boss battles, no offence to the series but there has never been a challenging boss. There all so easy you never get a challenge, i wanna be smashing the controller up against the wall, if they can do that ill be happy.

Avatar image for twilit_igniter42
    Twilit_Igniter42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twilit_Igniter42

I would like to see the combat developed more.  I think how for the Z-targeting toggle they have the "hold" and "switch" they should do something similar for the shield.  In Twilight Princess, it was beneficial that you always had the shield up, I would like blocking to be a conscious decision.  It's one more thing I think that would "draw" the player into the game.  I was fully expecting to hold the nunchuck up to block and was slightly bummed when it wasn't necessary.

Along with the combat should be improved AI.  In TP and WW, most grunt minions just walk right into your sword without any sort of defense.  I like fighting the darknuts in TP because they offer a little challenge.  But, once you learn their pattern, they're pretty easy.  Get rid of those telegraphing moves and patterns.

I also think a neat feature would be the enemy being able to disarm you.  A bulbin tries a high-risk sword trick and succeed and next thing you know it*splash* - Master Sword's goes flying into Lake Hylia (of course, that would be like a 1 in 100 chance).

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By solidphoenix

The next Zelda game has to be more atmospheric; in that case I'd have to say the exploration. Nintendo needs to redesign the franchise, specifically the look, tone and feel of Hyrule.
    Update the graphics, give us orchestrated like Super Mario Galaxy, and make the world more interesting and worth playing in.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the previous games. It's just  that Twilight Princess was more refinement than innovation, and I think it's time for Link to get his new makeover.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By neoepoch

I want to see a true sequel to Wind Waker, you know to kind of give closure to that part of the series. In it I would like to see a large part of the map be a landmass (horse riding perhaps?) and the other part ocean.
    For combat to advance I would like to see something along the lines of two character fights like in Beyond Good and Evil or the new Prince of Persia, with Link and Tetra or some other people (perhaps a party system to swap out the second character). And with that second player, there should be drop in and out co-op, like in the Lego games. It would be more meaningful multiplayer than the Tingle Tuner was. Multiple people would also go great with puzzles. Wind Waker did that spectacularly in the Earth and Wind Temples (albeit there were perhaps too few puzzles).
    Items could use a drastic overhaul from the same old hook shot and boomerang. I like how Twilight Princess had great new items.
    Also I would like to see story development that focuses character relationships (major and minor) and I want relationships between people to be a meaningful theme in the game.
    Graphics wise, it needs to keep the Cel-shading, but it could use some changes...I don't really know where but slight changes could work. The shouldn't just entirely use the assets from  Wind Waker in the game, but add new things.
    No alternate endings. That isn't necessary in the Zelda series.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Homer

Action and puzzles. I really don't like much else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it needs to focus on character depth and story.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By elbow
    Here's a thought, stick to the Windwaker formula or go for God of War.

Simple as that, the Twilight Princess just doesn't fly anymore, and by that I mean trying to recreate the Ocarina of Time with better graphics. Give Wii owners something that drops their jaws, even if it's something that they consider a sin or is blasphemy. A deep, combo based combat system with new weapons that haven't been in used for the past two decades.

A story that isn't about some alternate dimension Link attempting to rescue a distant cousin, twice removed of Zelda. I know Miyamoto is a genius, and Nintendo does their own thing, but shit, it's time to give it to someone else. Do something new with the series.
    and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By and333

well since they said the game will be nothing like the past ones don't hope for more exploration cause thats what the old ones were really about. I want the combat to really be redid and awesome make the feel of sword fighting really good.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Suicrat

Make the puzzles more challenging, make the bosses more challenging, make the dungeons less predictable, and give it cel-shaded graphics again.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Exploration.

One of the things I liked about Majora's Mask was that there was a lot of interesting characters.  The more of those, the better.  Also, I actually liked the graphics of Wind Waker so I wouldn't mind seeing those again.

Combat is fine and I can deal with the same puzzles.  I just want more stuff to do.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Willy105

Defenetaly exploration. Even though the main porpurse of Zelda is the dungeons and puzzles, the funnest part for me is the overworld, in fact, that's the reason I buy all Zelda games, for the overworld. Exploring the huge landscape of Hyrule is a great way to spend the time.

Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

The exploration. I think thats what makes a Zelda game so amazing.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dark_Link142
    Willy105 said:
    "Defenetaly exploration. Even though the main porpurse of Zelda is the dungeons and puzzles, the funnest part for me is the overworld, in fact, that's the reason I buy all Zelda games, for the overworld. Exploring the huge landscape of Hyrule is a great way to spend the time."
    I agree. That was a lot of fun in Twilight Princess. Too bad there wasn't a whole lot you could do (although some secret caves and grottos here and there were nice).
    Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jordan23

Exploration and Co-op (this would be a very nice bonus).

Blackoutt21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blackoutt21

i always liked windwakers take on exploration, there were a few sidequests [remember the post office game and such] and not every place had a part in the story.combats always been fun but id like for it to be a bit more deep, some guy mentioned disarming thatd be nice,

nezze00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By nezze00

I don't know if I'd choose any of those. They are all rather stale at this point and improving one of them wouldn't improve the whole game. I'd want them to focus on 'variety' as in making more things to do, more things to see, etc. Going in dungeons every mission gets pretty boring.

WonderNINJA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WonderNINJA

Perhaps it's because I'm currently playing Beyond Good & Evil for the first time, but I would love for them to take a more realistic, less "you-are-the-hero-of-the-world!"-glorified take.  I absolutely love that, in Beyond Good & Evil, you're uncovering a conspiracy, and the fact that you have to take out these "baddies" and sneak past these guards is a result of the need to capture photos for an underground organization.  If, say, Link was at odds with the population who was under the spell of Gannon, and he had to, very discretely, convince individuals that they're wrong, I think that would be very compelling.

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By BigDo6

Voice over
    Real orchestral music
    -------------------------------------------------
    Big Do-six: "That's why they pay me."

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Cube

Vibrant environments (similar to Wind Waker) and exploration.

Dakota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dakota

Personally, I will never tire of the classic Zelda formula. But next time they should focus on exploration and puzzles. Make the world absolutely massive and incredibly detailed. (Not that TP wasn't)

RowdyRob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By RowdyRob

1:1 Sword Controls FTW much?

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By efrucht

I think Majora's Mask had the right idea. Tons of side quests and interesting puzzles!

chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chazer127

If it is like mojora's mask but bigger, cel-shaded and will involve Co-op play (P1: link, P2 : new character) then I will be happy, and that disarming thing someone said before would be nice to.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Luke

Voice Acting and Challenge... you know, a game where you actually die in and not where after you beat Ganon you say, "Oh that's it? I wonder what the animation looks like when Link dies? Let me load-up my save file again and find-out."

A new Majora's Mask type game would be amazing beyond words.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Releasing in the next 2 years that is what I want it to focus on

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.