Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii System Menu 4.0

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

As of today, Wii owners can update their system to firmware 4.0 which adds SDHC support and, finally, the ability to download and play VC games directly to and from the SD card.

Adding something that pirates have been doing for a year  now, and better. Speaking of pirates, as some of you  might know, a solely softmodded Wii can play almost every Wii, GameCube and Wiiware backup these days, region free and from their respective channels. What's  interesting is that with this update, Nintendo still hasn't done anything worthwhile to prevent that.
    This amazes me. Homebrewers and pirates are finding new ways to use the console's firmware to their advantage, but Nintendo just runs with it. They really must be satisfied with the money they make.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

I spent nearly 2 hours rearranging games and redownloading games I previously bought.

The best thing about this update is that it is now compatible with SD cards up to 32GBs which hopefully means Nintendo eventually increases the limit of WiiWare downloads... and the potential for Saturn VC games perhaps.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude
    Dalai said:
    "I spent nearly 2 hours rearranging games and redownloading games I previously bought.The best thing about this update is that it is now compatible with SD cards up to 32GBs which hopefully means Nintendo eventually increases the limit of WiiWare downloads... and the potential for Saturn VC games perhaps."
    That would be pretty cool. I read on another forum some people were saying bring on a MMO. There is still something about saving, you have to  use the Wii system  memory. I don't have enough games to worry about this though, but I did update my Wii.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By ArcBorealis

I was so happy when I heard the news. I got the update and redownloaded all my VC, Wiiware, and channel stuff. It was also cool that they announced that arcade games would come to the Virtual Console, and like Dalai, I do hope Saturn games eventually game (well technically, I just want to play Radiant Silvergun given that I'm a big Treasure nut, but there might be other games I'd play if that happened)

Just so glad that they got the whole fridge cleaning done away with and managing save data is much, MUCH better.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't expect them to make VC/WiiWare games much bigger than they allow now, after all they have to keep everything compatible with people who may not have giant SD cards. I'd love it if it happened, I just don't think it will.

But hey, Wii owners now have up to 32GB of affordable-ish storage. Hurray.

Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Shadow2K6

Its about time.  I waited for this update so long.  I have a lot of VC/WiiWare games but I had to delete some because my console couldn't hold all of them.  I only have a 2GB SD card but hey its something and its a lot more space then the Wii's flash memory.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

You can probably fit everything notable released to date in those 2GB, you're fine for a while.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dalai
    Alaska_Gamer said:
    "I was so happy when I heard the news. I got the update and redownloaded all my VC, Wiiware, and channel stuff. It was also cool that they announced that arcade games would come to the Virtual Console, and like Dalai, I do hope Saturn games eventually game (well technically, I just want to play Radiant Silvergun given that I'm a big Treasure nut, but there might be other games I'd play if that happened)Just so glad that they got the whole fridge cleaning done away with and managing save data is much, MUCH better."
    Speaking of Treasure, I celebrated the update by finally downloading Gunstar Heroes with my final 800 points.

It was 800 points well spent.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Gunstar Heroes rocks, so much better than GBA's Gunstar Super Heroes... Guardian Heroes next plx, with Saturn VC :P

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive

damn thats one shaky cam

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Otacon

Surely the position of the Wii in the video isn't the best for it.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Godwind

I can't do much until I get my Wii connected to the internet again.

Gaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Gaius

I'm having trouble with the new update.  You are supposed to be able to run games off of the SD card, however when I tell it to launch the game it says that I don't have enough memory and that I need to move stuff to the SD card first.  What's with that, I thought it was supposed to run off the SD card?  Do I have to keep moving crap over every time I want to play something?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

This is awesome!!! Now, all Nintendo needs to do is release that black wii and they have my purchase!

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ThomasP

Finally. I downloaded, moved and arranged all my VC and WiiWare games today. Big task, but well worth it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Gaius said:
    "I'm having trouble with the new update.  You are supposed to be able to run games off of the SD card, however when I tell it to launch the game it says that I don't have enough memory and that I need to move stuff to the SD card first.  What's with that, I thought it was supposed to run off the SD card?  Do I have to keep moving crap over every time I want to play something?"
    You just need to not have your internal memory full, have some free space left. You don't need to move stuff every time you want to play, just always have free space left and the process is 100% automatic. You chose to launch from SD, it loads the game in the internal memory temporarily (until you chose to launch a diff game from SD basically) in the background and launches off of that.

Playing the same game repeatedly doesn't repeat the process, and trying a new SD game doesn't need more space as it just replaces the temporary data of the last game you were playing. Save data also has to be in the internal memory to be usable, but that's a minor annoyance as save data usually takes up 1 block only. But you've probably figured it all out by now.

Downside: Games that use SD card DLC content or other functions and are released already can't use SDHC so you may wanna keep your standard SD handy until you're bored of those games or a sequel you prefer comes along.
    Gaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gaius

^^

Thanks
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

I've only just downloaded it, after bitching for two years, lol. It's alright, but it's still think it's pretty lame that I cannot see all my games on one sole menu. Also, my six pages take too long to load for my liking, and I don't like the fact games vanish from the previous page and have to reload when you click back.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Verdict: cumbersome 7/10
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Meowayne

I generally don't really understand why Nintendo offers such comparably bad emulation, when I look at what homebrewers do with the console in terms of emulation, not only when it comes to supported retro systems.

Control schemes and video/audio of homebrew emulation own the VC in every imaginable way.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

Especially since it's free gaemz eh?

Anyway, seems avi file support was added to the photo channel on top of this update. Unless I've been April fooled or something but I doubt it.

Edit: No April Fool's, from the Nintendo website:
    Images in JPEG format only. Video in Quicktime or AVI format only. Music in AAC format only.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

Just caught a glimpse of that Addams Family game on a list in that video. That was a cool platformer, great music and graphics I recall. I hope that gets an official release. 

Going to try out a AVI now,

Yea, it works fine. Now all they need to do is bolster support for music.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

Got an SD card finally, but I'm not noticing the drawbacks you mention since I only have like 10 games on it. Maybe I'll get there sometime...

From VC I only have Story of Thor (damn, I thought it's the game I played, but that was the sequel on Saturn) and Super Mario Bros 3. I want to get more but we get too many awesome retail releases lately and in the next months, so I'm saving up for those. I wish I could afford more, oh well.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowayne

System Menu 4.0 had been completely hacked about 10 days after it's release, btw.

Trondood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Trondood

Idk but I read somewhere that the whole SD reading thing is bad for your flash memory. Like it uses it up a lot faster or something making it last not nearly as long as it normally would.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.