Wiimote being used in non gaming ways. Warning: science stuff.

Avatar image for oldschool
#1 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -

Let me start by saying I am somewhat of a geek.  Not overly, just somewhat.  As I am prone to doing, I was watching documentaries on Discovery and National Geographic.  I really dig science ones.  This is from an episode of Naked Science and as the videos obviously show, it was about the moon. 
 
A NASA planetary scientist is discussing all things the moon and there she was holding a Wiimote.  No, she wasn't playing a new game called Moonz from Ubisoft, rather she was using it to "rotate" the moon (you see that towards the end of the first video.  Now you may ask, "why do I care?" and the answer is, I don't, but that geek in me is still amused and somewhat impressed to see Nintendo product in such a way. 
 
  

    
Avatar image for ace829
#2 Posted by Ace829 (2106 posts) -

I love astronomy so gaming plus astronomy is awesome for me. I was highly amused.

Avatar image for meowayne
#3 Posted by Meowayne (6168 posts) -

I love using the Wiimote technology for other stuffs.
 

 
  I considered using it as presenter for one of my presentations, implementing the accelerometer with Prezi slides, but it was just too inaccurate and faulty.
 


Avatar image for oldschool
#4 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -
@Ace829 said:
" I love astronomy so gaming plus astronomy is awesome for me. I was highly amused. "
Nerds and geeks rejoice.  Maybe we have our own version of The Big Bang Theory here and don't know it.  No idea why seeing the scientist use the Wiimote would catch my attention so much, it just did.  It is far better than seeing Jake use his DS in Two & a Half  Men :/
Avatar image for andrewb
#5 Posted by AndrewB (7814 posts) -

It's nifty because it's a readily-available accelerometer containing device with regular ole' bluetooth connectivity.

Avatar image for oldschool
#6 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -
@AndrewB said:
" It's nifty because it's a readily-available accelerometer containing device with regular ole' bluetooth connectivity. "
What other nifty applications have there been and how hard is it to modify?
Avatar image for nodeath
#7 Posted by NoDeath (860 posts) -
@oldschool said:

" @AndrewB said:

" It's nifty because it's a readily-available accelerometer containing device with regular ole' bluetooth connectivity. "

What other nifty applications have there been and how hard is it to modify? "

Yeah, all you need is a bluetooth connection to get access to the accelerometer data, not too sure about the infra-red pointer. I've seen a couple of videos of people using it to play PC games. Namely Half Life 2
 
  And Dead Space
 
Avatar image for icil
#8 Posted by Icil (750 posts) -

Isn't it weird how we have to warn people about science content?

Avatar image for oldschool
#9 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -
@Icil said:
" Isn't it weird how we have to warn people about science content? "
It was more a slight humourous reference to Mythbusters.  I don't think many people avoid topics on science.
Avatar image for demontium
#10 Posted by demontium (5084 posts) -

Another awesome thread oldschool. 
 
I wish Nintendo would look into this. 
 
I bet their R&D is, but still, I wanna see my headtracking >.<

Avatar image for sjschmidt93
#11 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (5010 posts) -

I guess visiting a thread related to a page needed for a quest activates that quest. Nice.

Avatar image for oldschool
#12 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" I guess visiting a thread related to a page needed for a quest activates that quest. Nice. "
Hell you talking about SS?  Am I missing something? 
 
@demontium said:
" Another awesome thread oldschool.  I wish Nintendo would look into this.  I bet their R&D is, but still, I wanna see my headtracking >.< "
I read about new technology that allows you to controls with your eyes - they made a Pong version of it - so that will be the next big thing Nintendo will make mainstream, to which Sony and Microsoft will laugh, hardcore fans will laugh and decry, then it will be a runaway success and Sony and Microsoft will then copy it  :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.