Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Windjammers

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 17, 1994

Two athletes are pitted against each other in a grueling battle of special abilities, mind games, and throwing discs. It will blow you away.

Did GB accidently create the next indie game trend?

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By IcyEyes

I like to take a gander at Greenlight every once in awhile just to see what's going on with indie games and I was somewhat shocked the other day to see not one, but two flying disc sports games on the first page!

Gyrodisc Super League

The one looks very promising and I like the colorful art style. They also seem to be going for a very faithful recreation of Windjammers' gameplay.

Icon: Disc Jam

This one looks much more questionable. Everything feels a bit incoherent to me and I suspect they just throw a bunch of assets together from the marketplace to make this thing happen.

Way of Redemption

I'm really not sure what style they're going for in this game. It feels kind of like a fantasy themed RTS. Their inspiration is also bluntly obvious since they say right in the Greenlight thumbnail that it's a windjammers tribute. Which feels like pandering a little too hard and perhaps even illegal?

The inspiration for these games is quite obvious and that's made me wonder. Has Giant Bomb's love of Windjammers finally penetrated the indie game scene and inspired developers to begin making more flying disc sports games?' Are we on the cusp of a new indie game trend, or is this just a freak coincidence? In any case it will be very interesting to see how these developers update and build upon the original inspiration.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nothing accidental about it.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I would say that GB's coverage of Windjammers is directly responsible for inspiring indie developers to create these games.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Icon: Disc Jam sounds like a wordplay of Def Jam: Icon to my ears. Maybe that's just me.

Carry on.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ripelivejam

I would even hazard to guess they helped fuel the boom of couch co-op/competitive games in general.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I wouldn't be surprised if Icon is better than Gyrodisc, but both will definitely be better than the sucky-looking Way of Redemption.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would even hazard to guess they helped fuel the boom of couch co-op/competitive games in general.

and what a waste of talented indie developers that is. #screwmeatspace #allmyfriendsaredigitalavatarsofpeopleidontseeinreallife

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By CaLe

GB isn't as directly responsible for this as Dave Lang is, he couldn't get the rights so instead walked through an indie dev conference shouting Windjammers while frivolously throwing $100 bills in the air. It was an expensive Friday evening, but look what we have now. Thanks, Dave.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I saw Xavier Woods on Twitter pimping a Windjammers tournament at an arcade the other day...

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

On one hand, its pretty cool that these are popping up. On another hand, all of these lack the energy of Windjammers. The first one comes the closest.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@sammo21 said:

I saw Xavier Woods on Twitter pimping a Windjammers tournament at an arcade the other day...

And it was a great tournament. He's actually not too bad at the game!

Apparently France has a HUUUUGE windjammers following. Hardcore players there. I also learned you can play windjammers online through fightcade. There are some serious windjammers players out there, man.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently France has a HUUUUGE windjammers following. Hardcore players there. I also learned you can play windjammers online through fightcade. There are some serious windjammers players out there, man.

No joke those dudes are real. I was totally unaware of this scene, YouTube hole go! Thanks!

Loading Video...

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's hard to say. Windjammers has certainly had a following beyond just those who've learned of it from Giant Bomb. I never was lucky enough to see it in a physical arcade, but I did know of it prior to seeing the GB dudes play it a bunch (though they certainly helped rekindle my love of it).

(I don't think either of those look very good).

Sirio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sirio

I can attest that I was inspired by GB to start development on a new title. However I did grow up playing the game in arcades. :)

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for theps2collector
    ThePS2Collector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll toss SpiritSphere into the list of Windjammers-likes.

Loading Video...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@theps2collector: That one's tenuous, cause you don't catch the disc. Looks more like Pong with powerups.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.