Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Windjammers

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 17, 1994

Two athletes are pitted against each other in a grueling battle of special abilities, mind games, and throwing discs. It will blow you away.

Windjammer stories

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay so my Windjammer story is as follows

I used to go to rural Italy most summers on holiday and there was a small bar with a Windjammers machine. If you put in a token the barman would come from behind the bar and challenge you. The other regulars would be going nuts because they couldn't get served while he was playing.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

One time I was watching this video with some internet personalities I enjoy listening to and watching. They were going to play some big new release or something but it wasn't working properly so they instead busted out a copy of this game that was called Windjammers. I wasn't quite sure what it was, but it was kind of fun to watch for a while. Ever since then nothing has been the same.

That's my Windjammers story.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One time i watch the guys at giantbomb play it. Then they played it some more another time. Then they couldnt come up with anything else to do this other time so they played it again. Kinda sick of watching windjammers honestly.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

It was cool the first or second time they played it, but the whole "Windjammers on livestream" concept is becoming stale. They should quit while they're ahead and not sour people on Windjammers.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The closet I came to "Windjaming" was 'Beach Volley' on my friends Amiga 500. Slick moves with a good soundtrack and topless European birds... what more could you ask for!

No Caption Provided

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

@donchipotle said:

One time I was watching this video with some internet personalities I enjoy listening to and watching. They were going to play some big new release or something but it wasn't working properly so they instead busted out a copy of this game that was called Windjammers. I wasn't quite sure what it was, but it was kind of fun to watch for a while. Ever since then nothing has been the same.

That's my Windjammers story.

My story is a lot like this, only in my version, "Ever since then pretty much nothing has changed."

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One time i watch the guys at giantbomb play it. Then they played it some more another time. Then they couldnt come up with anything else to do this other time so they played it again. Kinda sick of watching windjammers honestly.

I'm sick of it too. There are infinite amounts of other things they could play, but they constantly play Windjammers.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigjeffrey

that's funny, did you get a free drink if you beat him?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

This one time I saw a thread on the forums about some bartender who ignored customers to play Windjammers. It sounded super-duper fake, like the stories I would make up and tell my friends about my visits to China when I was in elementary school. Also one time I went to China and I played SFII in the arcade and I was so good that one of the local gang leaders took me under his wing. He totally let me carry his sword for him too.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was introduced to Windjammers on that "GTA" stream. The funny thing is that I'm absolutely craving more Windjammer action here, but I have absolutely no desire to play it myself.

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Nah I was only thirteen at the time. All the kids would be playing king of fighters or super sidekicks, Windjammers rarely got played sadly.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I wish there was a dedicated Windjammers GB feature. An ongoing league where everyone in the office has to jam. Once a week.

Or maybe seven!

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@krullban said:

@clonedzero said:

I'm sick of it too. There are infinite amounts of other things they could play, but they constantly play Windjammers.

Same here. The game looks real fun to play, but after seeing them play it three times, I'm just not interested in watching any more Windjammers.

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hidden81 said:

@starvinggamer: What sounds fake about it?

Who the fuck would go back to a small bar if the service was that bad? You go to shitty small bars for good service and to drink in peace.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

@krullban said:

@clonedzero said:

what else would they play? Windjammers is the one true video game.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Bars in Italy are different. During the day they are more like coffee shops that are full of old men playing cards and smoking. This bar had 6 or 7 arcade machines in it. On more than one occasion I saw that barman leap the fucking counter to the sound of the Windjammers machine character select I shit you not. Also he was a big fat guy so it was an impressive sight. The other patrons in the bar were old men who sat around smoking and playing cards for hours. They were the ones who would start getting mad but the barman didn't care, he would just laugh at them. The old men even tried to sabotage the machine a few times.

HazeAI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About a month ago I finally caved and picked up a Windjammers cart after all the talk about it on GB. I have a neo geo mvs machine already, so while the cart was expensive it wasn't totally ridiculous for me to get windjamming. Since then my roommate and I have played it a handful of times, and the two of us + a friend who's not super into video games have played it once. Good times were had, but nothing mindblowing. Until New Year's Eve, there's a party at my house, and things are a little boring, just a bunch of people hanging around chatting. When suddenly, dude who's not super into video games but played once looks at me and shouts "DUDE! Why in the FUCK are we not WINDJAMMING right now!!!". The majority of the party then proceeded out to my freezing ass cold garage to play about an hour of windjammers. It was insane, everyone was watching, people were screaming over good matches. It was the best NYE ever, totally worth the price of the cart.

the_messenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hazeai said:

About a month ago I finally caved and picked up a Windjammers cart after all the talk about it on GB. I have a neo geo mvs machine already, so while the cart was expensive it wasn't totally ridiculous for me to get windjamming. Since then my roommate and I have played it a handful of times, and the two of us + a friend who's not super into video games have played it once. Good times were had, but nothing mindblowing. Until New Year's Eve, there's a party at my house, and things are a little boring, just a bunch of people hanging around chatting. When suddenly, dude who's not super into video games but played once looks at me and shouts "DUDE! Why in the FUCK are we not WINDJAMMING right now!!!". The majority of the party then proceeded out to my freezing ass cold garage to play about an hour of windjammers. It was insane, everyone was watching, people were screaming over good matches. It was the best NYE ever, totally worth the price of the cart.

That's what I'm talking about, that ish gets the people up. I've had the cart for a few years, and it comes out a few times a year, but usually we have to rotate through to other games to calm down, because there's too much swearing and high tempers. Though nothing in my arcade gets people mad like Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. Oh lawd.

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went to visit some friends in Las Vegas in November. My buddy there has an arcade machine he built using an old PC filled up MAME and other emulators.

First thing I asked when I got there was, "Do you have Windjammers on there?" He checked, found it and playing it was the most fun I had in that town.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cmblasko

Over the holidays I had off from work so I set up Windjammers on a laptop which I hooked up to my TV. I didn't really have anyone to play it with so I just played against the AI which quickly became SUPER frustrating and led to loud, profanity-laced outbursts from me. This annoyed my wife to the point that she agreed to play with me so that I wouldn't get angry playing against the AI anymore. She ended up really enjoying it so we played quite often over the holidays.

doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If you've actually played Windjammers, you know how much fun it is. If the Giant Bomb staff wasn't having fun playing Windjammers, they wouldn't play it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bomb-squad-6871/bombjammers-the-gb-crew-in-windjammers-update-1466914/

@cmblasko said:

Over the holidays I had off from work so I set up Windjammers on a laptop which I hooked up to my TV. I didn't really have anyone to play it with so I just played against the AI which quickly became SUPER frustrating and led to loud, profanity-laced outbursts from me. This annoyed my wife to the point that she agreed to play with me so that I wouldn't get angry playing against the AI anymore. She ended up really enjoying it so we played quite often over the holidays.

Windjammers on MAME supports GGPO. This means online games of Windjammers.

http://ggpo.net/

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Technically GGPO doesn't support MAME, but Final Burn Alpha, but yeaaaah.... Can't say much about that field because obvious stuff.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cmblasko
    49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My grandfather was a professional windjammer. He taught me how to be the best when I was younger, but then he was killed in a freak frisbee accident.

I vowed never to jam the wind again.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a rainy Saturday night. 1973. The Big Apple. I was stumbling back to my motel room after a hard night of drinking, gambling, and ingesting copious amounts of pipe dope and hunk. In my altered haze, I walked into the wrong room, and saw a man hunched over in the corner, babbling to himself. Nothing new in this town, but something about his ramblings piqued my interest.

"... Jam... gotta jam that wind... you're in a famine if you ain't jammin'..."

I grabbed the man by his shoulder, and spun him around.

"Hey, buddy, you on that hunkadunk or something?", I asked.

He looked me square in the eye, and grinned.

"Wanna jam?"

He walked over to his television and began messing with some sort of device underneath. A "New Geo", or something, if memory serves. All I know is, I blacked out right then and there, as pipe dopers tend to do. When I woke up, I found myself riding a donkey through Manhattan, and - wait, that's another story. Sorry. Anyway, I woke up with some kind of remote in my hand, and vague memories of flashing colors and a voice yelling something that sounded like "DETROIT".

The man was next to me, chanting "Welcome to the jam! Welcome to the jam! Welcome to the jam!" over and over. I couldn't see his face, so I tapped his shoulder.

"Hey. Guy. You okay? Fuck, man, sorry I crashed on you like that."

He turned toward me, and I pissed myself for the third time that night. His face looked like some kind of futuristic frisbee.

"What... what do you want from me, man?", I asked in a panic.

"I need about tree fitty", he said.

It was about that time that I noticed he was a giant crustacean from the Paleolithic era.

"Dammit, Loch Ness monstah! I ain't giving you no tree fitty!"

He glared at me reproachfully and swam away.

Long story short, that's my first experience with Windjammers. Pretty cool game, that.

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Loading Video...

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP WINDJAMMERS

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.