Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WipEout HD

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 25, 2008

The futuristic racing and combat of the Wipeout universe makes its first PlayStation 3 appearance as a downloadable game on PlayStation Network.

Wipeout Fury and it's in-game ad solution?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By animateria

Yes, it has in-game ads.

Well, more precisely, it has ads when the game is loading. (Currently it's a State Farm ad...)

And I'm quite fine with that.

I think they came up with a solution of in-game advertising while not actually putting it in when you are playing the actual game.

I'd rather not see ads in a game what-so-ever, but for games who already employ in-game ads I think this is a better solution.

Though if they take it too far, they might make you sit through an ad, which would be absolutely terrible.

What are your opinions on this advertisement system?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Diamond

My problem with the ad system in Fury (or the newest HD patch?) is it seems that sometimes 'load times' are extended so the ad can complete playing before you're allowed to play the game.  Basically the ads are never cut off.

That IS making you sit through an ad, which IS terrible.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I am not fine with ads. Only because Fury is a PAID Add-on. Why are there still ads, even though I gave them money? I can understand them just doing it for HD, But for Fury? Seriously?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Diamond said:
    "My problem with the ad system in Fury (or the newest HD patch?) is it seems that sometimes 'load times' are extended so the ad can complete playing before you're allowed to play the game.  Basically the ads are never cut off.That IS making you sit through an ad, which IS terrible."

Yeah, I actually can't realistically imagine a worse way to incorporate advertisements into the game. If this is what is happening then that is complete garbage.
    Vlaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Vlaphor

If it starts to affect the gameplay itself, then it's no longer an in-game ad, but a commercial.  A commercial in the game you just bought.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Problem is, I actually play Wipeout, a lot. And If I have to constantly see ads, (or commercials, no real difference), then, I am going to seriously take a break from the franchise.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FCKSNAP

I was just gonna respond about how ads should realistically only appear in online racing, but did they just update the reply text editor?

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Gav47
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " I am not fine with ads. Only because Fury is a PAID Add-on. Why are there still ads, even though I gave them money? I can understand them just doing it for HD, But for Fury? Seriously? "
    I agree, if they want to put in these ads then they need to release some free DLC along side larger add-ons, like Burnout Paradise
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm shocked they would sell a product and then patch ads into it. This is pretty fucked up and while to be honest I probably wasn't going to get this game anyway there is now absolutely no chance I would even think about paying for it. Lower the price to five bucks for the entire thing, slap "Sponsored by State Farm" on the menu and sell it as a separate product if you're gonna pull something like this. If I had paid $20 for a game and $10 for an expansion to have ads shoehorned in on me later I'd want my money back.

Here's a video comparing the loadtimes. Edit: embedding disabled? Weak. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4f9zts6JM

At least the ad looks fairly sleek and doesn't have sound, but yeah, that's a heck of a time increase. Video description says he gets it 3 times an hour, even offline.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
    this is basically the best way for games to implement this.  

adds on loading screens makes sense, they're like commercials after all. they break up the good stuff. 
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    " I'm shocked they would sell a product and then patch ads into it. This is pretty fucked up and while to be honest I probably wasn't going to get this game anyway there is now absolutely no chance I would even think about paying for it. Lower the price to five bucks for the entire thing, slap "Sponsored by State Farm" on the menu and sell it as a separate product if you're gonna pull something like this. If I had paid $20 for a game and $10 for an expansion to have ads shoehorned in on me later I'd want my money back.

Here's a video comparing the loadtimes. Edit: embedding disabled? Weak. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4f9zts6JM      At least the ad looks fairly sleek and doesn't have sound, but yeah, that's a heck of a time increase. Video description says he gets it 3 times an hour, even offline. "

yeah, thats ridiculous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.