Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wizard of Legend

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 15, 2018

Wizard of Legend is a crowdfunded 2D dungeon crawler.

Anybody Played this yet?

jorjor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Just wondering how the community feels about this game. I'm thinking of picking it up.

Doctor__rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I picked it up after playing the demo, but I haven't gotten very far. It seems like it''s mechanics are pretty solid though. I was hoping to hear Jason's thoughts on it, given his appreciation for Hyper Light Drifter

Erlec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wizards of the legend has solid mechanics with a tendency of being repetitive, but fun. It's most like some rougelikes where the dungeon is randomly generated from tile-sets with the same four bosses where you face one of them every three level.

The fun of the game is mixing your spells to create a good combo. You start with a basic spell (a short three hit low damage spell), a dash which is augmented by a spell effect (like leaving behind flames or lightning), a normal spell which can be anything from a minion to a ice storm and a signature spell which is like a normal spell but can have a stronger effect by filling a blue bar (changes the spell from casting one fireball to three for example). With two more open slots for spells you find as you delve down the maze, there is a lot of fun combos you can create with mixing and matching which is the main point of the game. There is a lot of spells and artifacts that augment your playing style.

There are two issues for me however: One being that it repeats the same enemies and bosses for every new run. The only difference between earlier levels and later is the density of enemies as well as their aggressiveness. This applies to bosses as well, so if you face a certain boss in the third level they will be rather slow and do less damage then if you face them on the ninth. Which is a shame due to it's neat and cute art style. The other thing is the lack of invincibility frames from being hit. If you get hit you do get a bit of hit stun, but other enemies can keep the hitting you for more damage and more hit stun which makes the game a bit frustrating when the screen can get busy.

It's a good game with some flaws and I do recommend it at the current price, but I'd rather play any of the other rougelikes that are out there instead.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the combat and spell cards, reminds me of Soul Sacrifice. I do wish it wasn't another rogue like game though. I still enjoy it for what it is.

ddavidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ddavidd

The combat system is really good.

ddavidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The level variety is lacking.

ddavidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ddavidd

The devs are really great. They also have a discord in which they respond to suggestions and bug reports.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ltcolumbo

I really wish this game allowed for brute-forcing your way through, in the same vein as Rogue Legacy. I’m not great at precision control but I can be very persistent. In Rogue Legacy, if I ran the castle 20 times, I might not beat a boss but I’ve probably earned enough money to boost my health and damage output, and that means I’ll be able to make more progress inside the castle and want to keep my playing.

In this game, you collect persistent currency, but you spend it on stuff to make your build different, not better, which means I get frustrated and give up. That system seems counterintuitive to Rogue-likes or Rogue-lites. I think the intended progression system of a Rogue-like is that your persistence in the games means you get better as you master the controls, and in a Rogue-lite, your persistence means you can get stuff to make path easier. This system just lets you switch stuff up occasionally, which means you’re often starting over from scratch and not making any progress at all. I don’t get it. Or maybe I just suck, or maybe both.

That said, it entertained me for at least ten hours, and the game only cost $15, so I Feel like I got my money’s worth out it. I just think it could have been better with a few minor tweaks.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MocBucket62

I’ve played some of it, and my experiences are not that different to Ben on the last Breakfast N’ Ben. Best I can do is getting to 1-2 and then I get rekt. It’s fun and it’s cool to experiment on the different spells and which combos work best. I’m not loving the dungeon design though. It’s alright and it’s nice to get shops to help you, but it’s annoying that you get no explanations on what the items do until you purchase them. Plus the dungeons are mainly just either shops rooms or enemy rooms. I’ll work on getting better, but boy this game doesn’t hold punches.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.