Wolfenstein II : The New Colossus on Switch is looking rather impressive

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MocBucket62

Recently at PAX East, Bethesda/Panic Button has a demo booth set up for the Switch version of Wolfenstein II. Once again, this is a port that will look visually inferior to the already released versions, but for a Switch game, the amount of detail in the graphics is looking phenomenal. Here's a 25 minute video of some gameplay:

Got to hand it to Panic Button for their work on specific ports to the Switch. The DOOM port supposedly wasn't perfect, but it ran decent enough where most Switch owners seemed happy to catch up on one of the best games of 2016. Plus Panic Button did a wonderful job with Rocket League as it looks nice docked and while a bit low poly on handheld mode, still ran at a steady 60 FPS in matches. Now Wolfenstein II looks to be their best looking port yet. Yeah there is some concern about the Framerate during combat as it looked to slow down at time, but hopefully it will be fixed when this releases. I've had my eye on Wolfenstein II on Switch for a while and this convinces me that I'll likely buy it whenever its coming out.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Wolfenstein 2,for as unstable as it could be, scaled extremely well. I'm surprised it looks this sharp but given the studio's past work and the game they're using, it makes sense.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Maybe it was my internet, but did the framerate look inconsistent? It looks pretty good, considering the hardware. It looks like the game running on what I would assume are medium to low settings. For me personally, ports like this on the Switch are more of a curiosity than something I'd be interested in buying.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man, for games like this and Doom, you'd really have to be into portable play to want these. I think it's interesting that they're on it, but I have zero interest in them and I find it weird that anyone would choose the Switch version over any of the other ones if it's their first time unless it's their only choice. Also, Switch seems like a weird console to want to bring anywhere in public to me. It's more than pricey enough that I'd like it to be safe in my house without the possibility of someone trying to grab it from me, though playing in bed before sleep is fine. That said, I never play anything portable so I am biased.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If i had a switch i would only care how the handheld mode ran/looked. Viewing this on my phone if this how it looks handheld its pretty damn amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is what a handheld game looks like now.from that perspective this port is remarkable.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By Forcen

@ntm: I only have a PC and a Switch, no PS4 or Xbox One. This version is the only option if I want physical copy of the game that won't be tied to a Steam account and that's why I waited to see if the port was good before buying it on PC.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a Nintendo edit where they cunningly replace all the Nazis and references to Hitler. And all the violence is implied.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

Man, for games like this and Doom, you'd really have to be into portable play to want these. I think it's interesting that they're on it, but I have zero interest in them and I find it weird that anyone would choose the Switch version over any of the other ones if it's their first time unless it's their only choice. Also, Switch seems like a weird console to want to bring anywhere in public to me. It's more than pricey enough that I'd like it to be safe in my house without the possibility of someone trying to grab it from me, though playing in bed before sleep is fine. That said, I never play anything portable so I am biased.

For a lot of younger kids its their only console and I think There is a group of people who REALLY care about technical performance and are pc gamers who are just never gonna want to accept anything but perfect frame rate and resolutions and its never gonna be for them. Im more in the middle and a ps4 does me well for performance (plus im way too ocd to have access to graphics settings)

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: Should younger kids be playing Doom or Wolfenstein though?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: Yes, it's also about availability. Although... If I had the PC version myself, I wouldn't buy the Switch version just because it's physical.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't imagine playing this in handheld mode, when I was getting my ass kicked playing just regularly on PS4. Still hope it's a solid port, though.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: i did 20+ years ago so i would probably guess yes.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Frag_Maniac

Pretty surprising it was even uploaded to YouTube at 1080p60. From what I've read the Wolf II Switch port adapts according to load from 360p-720p @ 30 FPS. That's an average of only 540p. To make matters worse, YouTube allots horribly low bitrate compared to 1440p when converting 1080p uploads. They actually allot 3-4 times more bitrate to 1440p, even though it's only roughly 78% more pixels than 1080p.

I have to think in reality this may be a PC playing the game at the stage demo on lowest settings to try and mimic the Switch, or make it look better than it really does. This kind of thing has often been the case for those whom demo console titles. The sneak photos catch them red handed.

The only other possibility I see is they cherry picked a scene in the game that can play at 720p, then resized it to 1080p before uploading to YouTube. Either way there's no way the whole game is going to look the same quality as this video. Most of it is no doubt quite a bit worse. You can tell by the way the sound stutters at the end of the video when using the heavy weapon that it will not handle scenes with lots of effects well.

Lately I've actually been resizing my 1080p 50Mb/s captures to 1440p with 30Mb/s compression because of YouTube's huge bitrate disparity between 1080p and 1440p, and the results are pretty astounding. No more heavy blurring and pixelating when running or driving through foliage. Even smoke and fog doesn't blur or pixelate.

I don't think I'd be happy with Switch level graphics though. The Nintendo games are often more arcade too, like the way they made Dead Space on the Wii with just an onscreen cursor and no player arms showing. Might as well be playing a browser game.

Wolf II is one of those games that really takes advantage of good hardware. I had to lower settings quite a bit on my 7970, and still got noticeable lag in places, but my 1080 on max settings makes the game look and play so much better. That upgrade was long overdo after spending 5 and a half years on the AMD card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.