Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 20, 2014

Outnumbered and outgunned by high-tech Nazi forces, B.J. Blazkowicz returns to fight for an underground resistance movement in an alternate-historical 1960 where the Nazis won World War II and achieved global dominance.

Reviews & Impressions Thread: Let Us Know here.

• 87 results
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I will be downloading this game in afew hours, but for the people that's got it early share your thoughts. Keep it clean too with no spoilers, and like always I will share and add my 2 percent once I get a taste.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I'd love to.

The pre-load wasn't available until 12:00 today and the game is 40.7GB. I'll probably pop back in here Wednesday evening to talk about it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm really hoping it's good. Please be good. Don't mess this up, guys from Starbreeze!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like reviews are out. Haven't peeked, since I have no interest but seems like they are going to be positive.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Reviews seem to say the shooting is competent, the dialogue and story is really good, and thats pretty much it. So, basically, a Starbreeze game (even if its not Starbreeze)

Glad I pre ordered, now to install it while I'm at work

First thing I gotta ask to those who start playing right away, does it have the hub type levels in games like Riddick and Darkness? Or is it more Syndicate-linear level progression style

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'd love to.

The pre-load wasn't available until 12:00 today and the game is 40.7GB. I'll probably pop back in here Wednesday evening to talk about it.

Wow. 40 gigs huh? That's almost 1/3 my monthly data cap. I guess I'll be getting a physical copy then.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

@believer258 said:

I'd love to.

Wow. 40 gigs huh? That's almost 1/3 my monthly data cap. I guess I'll be getting a physical copy then.

The PC version is, at least. It's a good bet that the PS3 and 360 versions are way smaller than that, though I have no clue how big the PS4 and Xbox One versions are.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By falserelic

7.8 from ign

Seems like its doing pretty good so far. I'm glad to hear its going for the Old-School shooter route, and the campaign seems like it will be 12 or 10 hours long which is nice. Can't wait to download it on the ps4.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good story? Fantastic, as long as the shooting is serviceable I'll be thrilled. 40 gigs is CRAZY though, hello next gen! :/

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think it's pretty great. Also the difficulty selection is the same as Wolfenstein 3D so I was sold almost immediately.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was not expecting people to like the story and characters, i guess when i get a chance ill pick it up.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YAY! Its finally downloading on my ps4, but got damn its 47 gigs that's a hit. Its all good though I'm going to watch this godzilla movie on my pc. Then I'm going to be at the gym as long as I can. Afterwards I would drink some whey protein, but I ran out of milk. Guess I'll hold off on that and just drink lots of water.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Huh. It's pretty good to hear that the story didn't turn out to be crap. I might have to pick this up soon!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The good

• Lots of weapons.
    • Good story.
    • Pretty decent graphics.
    • Constant frame rate.
    • 2 Timelines and a bunch of collectibles.
    • Perks and upgrades are kept through all playthroughs.
    • No Zombies

The bad

• No Multiplayer

I beat it over 2 days. maybe around 20 hours.. i had a completion of 48% after beating it.

There is a 2nd time line that you can beat. it does change a little bit but not to much.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arthur Gies at Polygon really, really liked it.

12-15 hours long with at least two possible endings, and most surprising, it has a compelling story and interesting characters.

Okay, I'm actually excited about it now!

Darn, guess it's actually terrible. ;)

I watched the streamer Cohh play a few hours of it tonight, and he made it look relatively solid. A FPS gamer's FPS, with all focus on that single campaign.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

While the gameplay looks like a nice throw back to a type of fps that isn't made anymore, the story looks super depressing to me - even if it is done somewhat competently.

I dunno maybe i'm just getting old and soft.

I'd much rather a bulletstorm 2.

I think this game is probably going to do pretty well just on the back of being the first to come out of a next gen game drought. I think that is going to fall off pretty fast though when watchdogs hits.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I wonder who played it at GB. I want to say Brad since Jeff was out for the week but it seemed like Brad was playing Transistor. Maybe he played both! ThatBrad!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I wonder who played it at GB. I want to say Brad since Jeff was out for the week but it seemed like Brad was playing Transistor. Maybe he played both!ThatBrad!

not very well, as we all know. heh heh heh heeeeeh!!!

i'm sure this is alright but i just don't see how so many people are excited for this in a world that also has Transistor.

also it's midnight and i STILL have to wait ten hours for them to send my effing key! that butthole kasavin just wants to make sure it's tuesday EVERYWHERE huh?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, the combat feels really good.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I wonder who played it at GB. I want to say Brad since Jeff was out for the week but it seemed like Brad was playing Transistor. Maybe he played both!ThatBrad!

i'm sure this is alright but i just don't see how so many people are excited for this in a world that also has Transistor.

also it's midnight and i STILL have to wait ten hours for them to send my effing key! that butthole kasavin just wants to make sure it's tuesday EVERYWHERE huh?

Well to answer your question, apart from the sci-fi aesthetics which I enjoy there isn't all that much to Transistor that looks mind blowing. I've actually pre-purchased the game and soundtrack because I have hopes for a cool story, but I just don't know why anyone would be going head over heels for it.

So different strokes for different folks. Out of all the Tuesday releases I'm most excited by Drakengard 3 so hey, go figure right?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wish I could tell you Im Enjoying this game,But I'm having audio issues and pretty much the dialog is mute. The day one patch did nothing for me. Messed with all the audio settings on my end. Really wish devs would include audio sliders for effects, dialog and music. Not one worthless master volume slider.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@ripelivejam said:

@humanity said:

Well to answer your question, apart from the sci-fi aesthetics which I enjoy there isn't all that much to Transistor that looks mind blowing. I've actually pre-purchased the game and soundtrack because I have hopes for a cool story, but I just don't know why anyone would be going head over heels for it.

It's literally Bastion with a new protagonist and a sci-fi aesthetic. I don't say this to be condescending, but more to point that Transistor isn't a mystery; it's another ARPG from the folks who made Bastion.

That's fine, by my count.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is the music? Got pretty interested in it when I heard Mick Gordon was composing (and a member of Meshuggah?)

headshot2391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm a hour and a half in and so far its going great, core gameplay feels good, looks awesome, story is interesting.

However as soon I installed the hard copy it needed a 5 GB update off the bat and there has been a moment or 2 of slow down and bullet casing's stuck in mid air. Also I have to turn on subtitles because I can't hear what is being shouted at me. But those are knit-picks.

hope the rest is all right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well shit, this is great to see.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

Anyone here playing it on 360? That's the system I'm thinking of getting it on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat the PS4 version and there where no frame drops.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Humanity

So in the time honored tradition..

IGN - 7.8/10 __ "Wolfenstein: The New Order is the melding of your typical, everyday shooter with quality writing and a cast of believable and relatable characters."

GameSpot - 8.0/10 __ "The game is both a celebration of the Wolfenstein series and what feels like a fitting send-off for it."

Polygon - 9/10 __ "The New Order is held together, even rocketed beyond the basic sum of its smart levels and effective mechanics by its characters. That humanity takes what would be a good shooter and makes it something truly memorable."

Escapist - 3.5/5 __ "Wolfenstein: The New Order doesn't make the most of a highly promising premise, but it provides the baseline of gun-toting freedom fighting that fans expect."

GameInformer - 8/10 __ Machine Games presents a competent shooter with more polish and a better array of characters, but ultimately the game feels more comfortable recompiling established conventions than it does striving for innovation."

Destructoid - 7.5/10 __ "In many ways, Wolfenstein: The New Order is "First-Person Shooters: The Game," but it gets most of the important details right."

Joystiq - 3/5 __ "It's almost as if there's a tug of war going between the big dumb shooter and the attempt to be subversive, with the result being a game that's not really slick enough to be an action classic, and not dramatic enough to draw you in."

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems as though it's one of the best translations of classic FPS mechanics for the modern era, rather than the Frankenstein's monster like mess of mechanics that Duke Nukem Forever was. $80 on Steam seems a bit high though, I'll wait out for a sale.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Enjoying the game so far. Visually it can be quite nice, other times it can be kind of ugly. The changes between cutscenes and in-game are pretty jarring. Enjoying the story so far. Sound mix seems kind of bad on my setup, gunfire sounds way too soft, for one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: Seems to be an issue with the pc port. Have not noticed any on the PS4 version. (im on my 2nd playthrough)

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@meatball: Seems to be an issue with the pc port. Have not noticed any on the PS4 version. (im on my 2nd playthrough)

I'm playing on PS4, it must be my setup, hopefully I can sort it out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball said:
    @hanskaosu said:

I'm playing on PS4, it must be my setup, hopefully I can sort it out.

oh really? weird. hope you do

Avatar image for thecatswhiskers
    thecatswhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've almost finished it and I've really enjoyed it, way more than I expected to and not just in the context of a typical FPS. It's made me want to play the 360 wolfenstein game, although I imagine that will be a terrible mistake.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I'll likely not be picking it up myself because it's hard for me to get interested in an FPS, but I really do like that track by Fredrik Thordendal (the guitarist for Meshuggah)

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've almost finished it and I've really enjoyed it, way more than I expected to and not just in the context of a typical FPS. It's made me want to play the 360 wolfenstein game, although I imagine that will be a terrible mistake.

Stay far away from the mess that was zombie wolfenstein lol.. this is a reboot for a reason ;3

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Glad to see if turned out okay. I think I'll be good with watching the quick look though.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I had just enough time to press 'A' to install to my Xbox One before heading out to work this morning. I really hope that the patch download process doesn't require another button push otherwise I won't be playing it until tomorrow...

Klager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Klager

Aw yiss.

No Caption Provided

Also, the new theme song is incredible.

Loading Video...
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: That isn't quite correct, as the combat has a different flow. As they've shown off before, the combat is a hybrid system where you have to balance planning movies ahead through a turn-based system and action elements. There's less of a focus on weapons than on skills, and unlike Bastion, smart actions will pay off far more than dexterity.

To describe it as just Bastion with a different aesthetic is simply misleading at best.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45 chaser324  Moderator

@thecatswhiskers said:

Stay far away from the mess that was zombie wolfenstein lol.. this is a reboot for a reason ;3

There's kinda mixed info on whether or not this is a full reboot or if it does continue the plot of that 2009 game. I've played the first few chapters and haven't seen many connections to that game, but there are some reviews that lead me to believe there are quite a few plot ties.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing it for a couple of hours now on PC.

It seems like a classical, linear FPS. There are some rudimentary perks and there are collectibles to be found but those hardly seem to matter. Some odd systems like having to pick up ammo manually.

The action feels pretty good, the game looks OK.

The story seems to try to be a bit too serious at times which doesn't really work. It's at its best in full B-movie mode.

If you're up for a spot of the good old shooty-shooty it probably won't disappoint you.

Get the game on PC for a decent price. (I have spotted it at £17.99 before and it was going at £22.99 around the time of release.)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@oldirtybearon: That isn't quite correct, as the combat has a different flow. As they've shown off before, the combat is a hybrid system where you have to balance planning movies ahead through a turn-based system and action elements. There's less of a focus on weapons than on skills, and unlike Bastion, smart actions will pay off far more than dexterity.

To describe it as just Bastion with a different aesthetic is simply misleading at best.

It's Bastion but Sci-Fi in the same way that Shadowrun Returns is X-COM but good.

I'm not saying that the games are identical with only the aesthetic and music swapped for sci-fi vibes, I'm saying that the core play mechanics are pretty much the same. It's an ARPG that behaves like an ARPG - specifically the one that preceded it - and that's neither good or bad. Bolting on TB elements doesn't magically transform it into something entirely new, after all.
    Fuck, now it sounds like I dislike Transistor, and that is not what I was saying at all.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

It's Bastion but Sci-Fi in the same way that Shadowrun Returns is X-COM but good.

I'm not saying that the games are identical with only the aesthetic and music swapped for sci-fi vibes, I'm saying that the core play mechanics are pretty much the same. It's an ARPG that behaves like an ARPG - specifically the one that preceded it - and that's neither good or bad. Bolting on TB elements doesn't magically transform it into something entirely new, after all.

Fuck, now it sounds like I dislike Transistor, and that is not what I was saying at all.

You sound like a Transistor-hating monster. ;)

I can accept the Shadowrun Returns and XCOM comparison. It sounded like you were just saying it was a reskin of Bastion, as though the developer was simply making a lazy cash-in. I'm glad you clarified that it's more like the sentiment of "If you liked Bastion, it's probably gonna be right up your alley."

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By falserelic

I only had a piece of the cake so far. I played maybe 10 or 15 minutes, and right when it was about to get good I get ''GAME NEEDS TO FINISH INSTALLING''. I looked at my T'V and said ''fuck you'', its going to be along wait to play this game. I went to the gym afterwards, lift some weights, did some cardio, had a conversation with someone and went home. I thought I might be able to play the game some more, but it's still installing.

All I want is the whole cake not just a piece, but I'll keep being patience for now. Anyway I'll go back to finish watching that Godzilla movie from yesterday. I was so tired yesterday I fell asleep watching it. The movie is pretty good so far.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

40 Gigs on my shitty internet, I'll gladly drop by with my impressions in.... 42 hours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.