Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 20, 2014

Outnumbered and outgunned by high-tech Nazi forces, B.J. Blazkowicz returns to fight for an underground resistance movement in an alternate-historical 1960 where the Nazis won World War II and achieved global dominance.

Some feedback regarding PC version

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I keep hearing that the pc version of the game is really bad, bad like rage, texture-pop ups and frame drops. I got the information from pcgamer.

I dont want to buy it until is at least playable, can someone who is playing it on PC tell me his/her experience?

It seems like ID5 is not cool on pc...

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Apart from some occasional screen tearing (even with vsync on) it's working fine for me.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm having weird issues with my GTX 690 in SLI, but Carmack went on record that the Rage engine would never really play nice with SLI. Even without, the game looks and runs beautifully. I'm not even getting texture pop in, it's buttery smooth.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Runs totally fine for me. No texture pop in, screen tearing, framerate drops or anything.

pubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Its completely playable..

Early on I had some hitch up in cutscenes but I updated my drivers and it's fine.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I was surprised with how well it looked and how smooth it ran on my very modest pc.

Only thing bugging me is how there's no way to turn off depth of field. It goes a bit crazy sometimes in foggy areas and even without that I'm not a fan of that stuff.

Don't know what they're doing wrong at pcgamer, but 'really bad' is no way to assess how the game runs...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Problems:

• Some normally separate PC options are combined into one, while some things that you never see are out there for you to mess with
    • I can't change resolution. It's stuck at 1360x768. I have no clue why, but I don't care. I popped into the options menu to turn on VSYNC and that's all. I'm sure someone, somewhere has found out how to fix this if it's an issue.
    • Half-second frameskip when a cutscene starts

That's it. I have had no issues with crashing, no issues with texture pop-in, and only an occasional dip in frame rate in weird places (choppy when I was talking to labor camp prisoners and occasionally in the Kreisau Circle base, but no problems in combat whatsoever). Playing on a machine with an i5 3470, 8GB RAM, and an HD7870, on the game's default High settings.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's basically unplayable with AMD cards, so yeah.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

I get some real blurry textures on load in, usualy like any UR3 game, but after that its fine. but i haven't gone looking. Although one thing i dont like is that in the menus the mouse has some kind of exceleration or tab-lock which locks it to the nearest menu option. Which makes it act really weird. But thats pretty good for a port. Actually it dosent even feel like a port.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

On 2x6990m AMD cards in crossfire: I am getting texture pop in from time to time if turning rapidly in a new area, framerate comes and goes but is mostly stable and ok, insane tearing without vsync, but vsync on isn't terrible. During in game dialogue there is sometimes desync with the action and the audio. It's playable, but it's not a perfect experience. Way way better then Rage was at release, which was a broken pile of shit for me.

The graphics options are bizarre, with common stuff piled into a single toggle, stuff you would normally have no idea about changeable, no way to turn off the intense depth of field that blurs the shit out of rooms sometimes.

Aside from that it's got the patented IDtech5 texture problems of things looking pretty from the distance but up close a lot of textures are simply awful late 90s style.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dezztroy said:

...I'm playing it with an AMD card, a kinda old mid-range one at this point.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By AssInAss

I'm only having problems with the first person cutscenes (not the actual cutscenes) with low framerate, but the rest I'm getting above 35-50fps on my mediocre laptop with an ATI mobility radeon 5650 card. The rest of people who actually have a good rig/setup haven't had any issues getting it to run 60fps. I'd definitely like a patch to help the framerate, but when I'm fucking playing this fucking awesome game and making a mess out of people with dual fucking auto shotguns and no ADS, I don't give a shit about anything else.

No Caption Provided

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys if I was fine running Rage at 1080p and max quality (besides full AA) on my PC will my performance be comparable in the new wolfenstein? Because my laptops cpu spec is kind of close to the minimum that they are asking for for this game. I thought that was weird because rage played at a rock solid 60fps and wolfenstein runs the same engine and doesn't really even look better than that game. So if someone has played both let me know if wolfenstein runs slower or about the same at comparable settings.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dezztroy said:

n=1?

I have an AMD card and it's absolutely fine... stop spreading nonsense.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By korwin
    • It's capped to 60 fps, so no high refresh rate monitor love
    • No AA adjustment
    • "Ultra" settings is locked out if you don't have a card with over 2GB of memory, so fuck you if you at least wanted to mess around with it.
    • Texture Pop-in much like Rage

Also it's crazy that a game coming out in 2014 is still only running OpenGL 3.2, we're up to 4.4 at this point.

anzejk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By anzejk

Well, ppl saying that there's no texture pop-in are full of shit. There is texture pop-in but only a minor one, mostly unnoticeable. It is ID tech 5 engine afterall and most "bugs" that RAGE had are still present here, some just not as bad. Some AMD gfx cards have problems with this game. Installing latest drivers should fix most (14.4). I have R9 280X and it runs great maxed at 1080p. New drivers from AMD and a new game patch should probably fix all the shit this game has to offer. :)

anzejk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dezztroy said:

Dude, please don't talk shit if you don't know what you're talking about. Some ppl have problems. Nvidia and AMD but mostly AMD cause of the drivers. I have an AMD card and no problems at all. Game runs great. :)

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had heard the same thing but after I actually started playing it I was surprised to see it ran perfectly for me. The only bug I've run into is the one time where I killed a guy and he started levitating by his foot and then just attached himself to the ceiling.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had heard the same thing but after I actually started playing it I was surprised to see it ran perfectly for me. The only bug I've run into is the one time where I killed a guy and he started levitating by his foot and then just attached himself to the ceiling.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

If anyone is curious - the physical version comes on 4 DVDs. I didn't pre-order but still received a Doom beta code in the case. You get a single sheet keyboard controls reference & the game code. All 4 DVDs are in a single stack so watch for scrapes.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game was buttery smooth for me. nVidia 660 GTX and i5 3570K at 1920x1080.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jsnyder82

The only time I've noticed anything was with the train scene when you sit down with the Rosa Klebb looking lady. Her face would flash purple every once in a while. I thought it might be my card, but it plays everything else flawlessly, so it can't be.

Other than that, the game is running well past 60 fps for me on the highest settings. I also haven't noticed too much pop-in or anything that would be considered unplayable.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard a lot of complaints about the game's Settings offering, such as not being able to change basic things like AA without the use of a separate tool like the nVidia Inspector.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Cirdain

@velt:

I have:

• CPU: Intel i5-3570K
    • RAM: 8 GB
    • GPU: 660 Ti
    • @1080p

There isn't any AA in the game by default. I forced it through the NVIDIA Control panel and it was fine. Just turn VT compress to ON and everything is golden, smooth & totally playable from start to finish at "High (+extra shadow res)" graphics - for me at least.

Air-ducts are just not as good as Rocksteady's and 4A games'.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By tourgen

Aaagh 10GB+ patch for the PC DVD version. Man. That's just rude. The patch is about as large as many new release games. I have garbage internet.

Runs really nice on my mediocre system:

i5, 8GB, 560ti, win7 x64, 1440x900

vsync on, DoF medium, final setting on Ultra

at 1920x1200 it didn't run well. I wanted the nice lighting effects over the resolution.

super fun game, really solid atmosphere and attention to detail. story is even interesting so far.

Back of DVD case says x64 windows and a core i7 or equiv required - minimum

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't tell if the game is badly optimized or just crazy demanding because I'm playing on an i7/SLI 770's and I get the crazy bad framerate plus the gross texture fade in like Rage had if I have the shadow resolution AND the VT compress option enabled. If I disabled VT compress or drop the shadow resolution down one notch then the game runs fine.

Screen-Space Reflections also seems to be demanding but not game breaking, it brings my frames down to the 40 range so I keep it disabled so I'm able to run the game at a steady 60 at 1440p with everything else maxed out

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't tell if the game is badly optimized or just crazy demanding because I'm playing on an i7/SLI 770's and I get the crazy bad framerate plus the gross texture fade in like Rage had if I have the shadow resolution AND the VT compress option enabled. If I disabled VT compress or drop the shadow resolution down one notch then the game runs fine.

Screen-Space Reflections also seems to be demanding but not game breaking, it brings my frames down to the 40 range so I keep it disabled so I'm able to run the game at a steady 60 at 1440p with everything else maxed out

I don't think it's supposed to well with a SLI configuration.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My laptop is downright useless for gaming, but by using a friend's steam account I tried it.

• CPU: Intel i3-3130m 2.40 Ghz
    • RAM: 8 GB
    • GPU: Geforce 610m (this is what essentially murders all futile attempts to run)

I put everything as low as the game allowed, 720p, and got sort of stable a stable 30 frames with lots of random dips in high-detail-indoor environments. I actually finished it like this, though some would really argue the point of even doing so. But I guess I'm tenacious like that. Good game though, would buy it when price drops and when I get a new laptop.

MasterpinE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• i7 930 @ 3.8ghz
    • 2x GTX780's
    • Surround setup at 5960x1080BC
    • 16GB RAM
    • Win 7 64

Runs really nice. Flawless Widescreen had a profile available which fixes the HUD and a few other things in surround pretty quickly, in-game cinematics are still a little bit stuffed up but it's a minor annoyance. I dropped Screen-Space Reflections down to medium just to keep the frame rate stable at 60fps. It's a shame it is frame-rate limited to 60, bit of a slap in the face to those running 120/144hz displays (which i am). I certainly doesn't scale properly for SLI, but it's not exactly a demanding game to run.

totendeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By totendeer

@assinass said:

I'm only having problems with the first person cutscenes (not the actual cutscenes) with low framerate, but the rest I'm getting above 35-50fps on my mediocre laptop with an ATI mobility radeon 5650 card. The rest of people who actually have a good rig/setup haven't had any issues getting it to run 60fps. I'd definitely like a patch to help the framerate, but when I'm fucking playing this fucking awesome game and making a mess out of people with dual fucking auto shotguns and no ADS, I don't give a shit about anything else.

No Caption Provided

Same but using dual GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB cards.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Runs perfectly fine on both of my PCs. The lowest of which has an FX-6350, Radeon 7870, with 8GB RAM on Win7.

It's not maxed out or anything, I think I'm on high. It'll chug for a couple frames when going in and out of cut scenes. Other than that, smooth as dicks. A friend is struggling to get 30fps with a GTX 770 and FX-8350. It seems to be hit or miss whether it wants to run smooth. I guess I got lucky.

@dezztroy You're misinformed, or just spreading BS. I'm sure some people are having issues, but there doesn't seem to be widespread issues of it being "unplayable" with specifically AMD. I've run it on a couple rigs with AMD cards and it's fine.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36  Edited By mike

@thatonedudenick: I'm running it with forced FXAA and 16x AF on an 8350p, GTX 780 and 16gb of RAM. I wouldn't call it buttery smooth, but it's pretty good. Frame rate hitches up here and there as I sort of expected the engine to do just as it did with Rage years ago.

It seems fine so far. Looks good. My only complaint...whose bright idea was it to make the player push X to pick up every single common item on the ground? Poor design decision right there. I mean really, who isn't going to pick up ammo and armor...just make it automatic for fucks sake.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was pretty bad for the first few days, but they patched it quick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I had enough little issues, like frame hitching and random slow-down (and my rig exceeds the recommended specs), that I gave up on it and got the PS4 version instead. My shitty eyes can't tell much of a difference quality-wise so fuck it.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was pretty bad for the first few days, but they patched it quick.

they haven't patched anything since release?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having some real bad issues with this game. The audio of in-game cutscenes de-sync immediately and there's some random frame drops during gameplay, even on Low settings, that I really shouldn't be getting with this:

Processor: AMD FX-9370 8 Core 4.4GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB

It's a shame, the game's pretty cool.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My CPU is an i5-2500k, my GPU is a GTX 770, and my rig has 8gb of memory. Although the system requirement for the game lists an i7, does anyone know if the game will run fine for me on higher settings?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's very poorly optimized for AMD cards as far as I can tell.

;_; Oh shux...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#43  Edited By Humanity

@dezztroy said:

This is my situation - as in unplayable. I can run the infamous Watch Dogs just fine, Far Cry 3, Black Flag etc no problem.

Wolfenstein refuses to run above 10 FPS no matter what I do. I dropped everything to low, turned everything non essential to off, bumped the resolution to 1280x720. Nothing. Game chugs horribly. I'm thinking maybe there is a problem with the installation, but I'm not super excited to download 40gb again from Steam.

I updated drivers and this is one of those awesome oldschool PC walls that I've run up against where something is making this game unplayable but there is no way I can check what. I think I just wasted $50.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@believer258 said:

@dezztroy said:

This is my situation - as in unplayable. I can run the infamous Watch Dogs just fine, Far Cry 3, Black Flag etc no problem.

Wolfenstein refuses to run above 10 FPS no matter what I do. I dropped everything to low, turned everything non essential to off, bumped the resolution to 1280x720. Nothing. Game chugs horribly. I'm thinking maybe there is a problem with the installation, but I'm not super excited to download 40gb again from Steam.

I updated drivers and this is one of those awesome oldschool PC walls that I've run up against where something is making this game unplayable but there is no way I can check what. I think I just wasted $50.

Just to make sure, did you enable VT Compress? And disable Screen Space Reflections?

Also, don't enable Vsync in game. Instead, go into Catalyst Control Center and turn OpenGL Triple Buffering on.

Just a suggestion. VT Compress is what I'm really curious about, it seems like something that people would just disable without knowing what it does. It compresses textures for cards that don't have obscene amounts of video memory. I just disabled it and played the game for a few minutes, it got pretty jerky.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#45  Edited By Humanity

@humanity said:

@believer258 said:

@dezztroy said:

Just to make sure, did you enable VT Compress? And disable Screen Space Reflections?

Also, don't enable Vsync in game. Instead, go into Catalyst Control Center and turn OpenGL Triple Buffering on.

Just a suggestion. VT Compress is what I'm really curious about, it seems like something that people would just disable without knowing what it does. It compresses textures for cards that don't have obscene amounts of video memory. I just disabled it and played the game for a few minutes, it got pretty jerky.

While all good advice that is not the problem. I have a 3.4ghz 8 core bulldozer CPU, a 2gb Radeon 7800, 16 gb of ram and the game as well as my operating system is installed on an SSD - not the worlds greatest gaming setup but somewhere in the lower echelons of the "high" range. The game would run in single frame digits when everything was completely turned off, EVERYTHING, and every setting set to the lowest possible quality, with the resolution dropped to the absolute lowest it would go IN WINDOWED mode. Even with all that it wasn't like the game hiccuped once in a while - simply standing in an enclosed area with nothing going on and looking around was extremely choppy. It never let up.

This is some weird issue where the game is doing something it shouldn't be doing in the background. Even the intro logos for Bethesda and such were choppy.

I did find a solution in some sort of modified files a guy made. I might have installed a keylogger or something on my PC - who knows, but now the game is running in near 60 FPS constantly with a lot of the options turned up to high. I don't know what he did - and in some threads when people ask he actually refuses to reveal his secret. Naturally a lot of people are suspicious that this is some insane scam/malware. Who knows.

It is pretty sad that I had to download a potentially "illegal" executable from some random guy on the internet to make the game I paid full money for run properly - and the game has been out for two weeks now. The fact that for two weeks they have a game that is basically unplayable for a select number of people and then some "modder" just fixes it is a little outrageous.

Here is the video - my game ran exactly like the first part of that video: hitching even on intro movies and nearly unplayable framerate with the sound skipping out of synch.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.