Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 05, 2015

A standalone expansion and prequel to the 2014 game Wolfenstein: The New Order, loosely recreating the story in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

The Old Blood is a 39 GB download.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I was just looking at the pre-order page on PSN and yeah...apparently this is a 39 GB file. The Xbone version appears to be slightly less, at 37.14 GB. But still, goddamn! That's kind of insane. This is supposed to be a standalone DLC campaign, but the file size is pretty close to that of the full game, and bigger than many other full games in some cases. I'm wondering if this is going to be a full-length game. Or if it possibly has to do with Id Tech textures or the game being uncompressed.

Either way, my internet ain't that fast. It would be nice to either start the pre-load now or have access to a disc-based version of the game.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Well shit. I was interested in this, but unless there's a disc version I doubt I'll be playing it any time soon.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Wow... Any early reviews out there stating how long this will be? I remember the last full Wolfenstein game was in and around this size and that was pretty long for a fps.

EricFine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gosh darn... Maybe I need to upgrade my HD...

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this not a standalone title like Infamous First Light or Blood Dragon though?

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was pretty much a full, standalone game?

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That's fucking huge. I remember wondering if we would ever need anything more than a terabyte in 9th grade and, yep, looks like we will!.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

@slang_n_bang: It is standalone, but it's also only $20, which gave me the impression that it would probably not have the content of a full-priced product. I mean, in a way, I guess this is somewhat of a good sign for the game, in that we can hopefully expect another lengthy campaign. But if this is the case, a retail disc sure would be a nice option.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Fucking idTech 5 and it's megatextures.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of really amazing looking games from last generation looked as good as or better than Wolf:TNO and were half the filesize.

I really, really enjoyed TNO, but these sizes are getting a bit egregious.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

"Standalone Prequel" means to me "expansion that doesn't require the main game" so I suspect it has a decent length which explains some of it. Plus the textures these days which are huge. So, that makes sense.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good. The large file size means that the game uses high-res textures. Remember, better graphics in a game will always equal larger file sizes, this is what progress looks like.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: In 9th grade my 9GB drive was the shit! :( Back to my rocking chair and keep your hands off my Werther's!

I figured it'd be big as a standalone but that's like 80%+ of The New Order's size. I sure hope it's actually a longer play and not just megatextures exerting their mega-ness!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bigsocrates  Online

@villainy said:

@believer258: In 9th grade my 9GB drive was the shit! :( Back to my rocking chair and keep your hands off my Werther's!

I figured it'd be big as a standalone but that's like 80%+ of The New Order's size. I sure hope it's actually a longer play and not just megatextures exerting their mega-ness!

Please, child. I remember being excited about getting a 20 megabyte hard drive. That's right. MEGAbyte. And I remember when most floppy disks were still actually floppy 5.25"s. You kids with your graphical user interfaces and your ZIP discs and Jaz drives.

As for this newfangled Wolfenstein game, I really hope the file size is indicative of the size of the game but I'm afraid that it will be a shortish game that's huge just because the programmers didn't remove unnecessary stuff leftover from the last game. If it was as long as the last game selling it for $20 would be...impressive. And if it sells well maybe that's a solution for single player only shooters (thus freeing us from the plague known as the perfunctory multiplayer mode. Spec-Ops the Line I am looking at you. if you had sold for 30 bucks with no multiplayer you would have been an excellent value and maybe done better at finding an audience.)

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I mean, it sucks for people without good internet but this just seems super par for the course at this point. Welcome to your modern life.

:S

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@villainy said:

Please, child. I remember being excited about getting a 20 megabyte hard drive. That's right. MEGAbyte. And I remember when most floppy disks were still actually floppy 5.25"s. You kids with your graphical user interfaces and your ZIP discs and Jaz drives.

As for this newfangled Wolfenstein game, I really hope the file size is indicative of the size of the game but I'm afraid that it will be a shortish game that's huge just because the programmers didn't remove unnecessary stuff leftover from the last game. If it was as long as the last game selling it for $20 would be...impressive. And if it sells well maybe that's a solution for single player only shooters (thus freeing us from the plague known as the perfunctory multiplayer mode. Spec-Ops the Line I am looking at you. if you had sold for 30 bucks with no multiplayer you would have been an excellent value and maybe done better at finding an audience.)

Titanfall was so big because it was full of audio files for other languages. Are we sure that this trend of ridiculously-sized game downloads isn't because of the same issue? I know that megatextures are huge but Rage was only somewhere in the ballpark of 25 GB's and it's got two fairly large open world areas in it, bigger in scope than anything else I've seen that uses megatextures.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know much about this stuff, so please tell me if I'm wrong, but presumably the standalone nature requires it to be a bit bigger? Like, with DLC that requires the base game, it will probably share some assets and stuff, but standalone DLC has to account for players who don't own the main game, and bundle a lot more stuff in?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Humanity

@wilzyx: I wouldn't mind if PSN speeds weren't terrible most of the time. The idea of pulling 39 gigs from PSN is terrifying and might mean an actual full day of downloading.

If I was getting this for Steam it would be no problem since it has awesome speeds - but New Order was a nightmare for a lot of people on PC that had Radeon cards and no fucks were given from the developer in the form of patches or fixes so I'm not too keen on getting Old Blood for PC even though I can run it just fine.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember when Skyrim came out and it was only 5GB and everyone was moaning about 'how can a 5gb game even look very good it's 2011 come on bethesda' etc etc And hey, the textures were all very low res and it didn't look very good. If we want games to look better and higher quality textures then games will keep on increasing. With storage at such a low price (relative) and internet speeds only going up, it's really not a big deal, especially as with digital downloads you can just download the game whenever you want.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We are finally past the stupid 9Gb limit on 360 that hampered developers for 10years and gave us condensed games and compressed low quality cutscenes. This is a good thing, if you cant download 40gb then upgrade.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@humanity said:

@wilzyx: I wouldn't mind if PSN speeds weren't terrible most of the time. The idea of pulling 39 gigs from PSN is terrifying and might mean an actual full day of downloading.

I just downloaded this game. I have a canuck internet of 15 mb/s. Took me 1 hour to download the 39 gigs. Technically, at 15 mb/s, I think it should have been a little bit faster. But definitely not a full day.

Soooooooooo....I dunno. I don't get the PSN speed problem you mentioned. Or you mean something else? Maybe where you live it sucks? Canada is pretty big and empty I guess. Maybe we have less bandwidth load on the PSN or something.

edit: please don't ask me about the game, I can't tell you!

edit 2: wait maybe that's why it was so fast? I guess I must be among like 100 people who can pull it down.

edit 3: there is a physical edition, ps, in some territories. Pretty sure about that.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Humanity

@geraltitude: I don't know what the problem is but I know that I'm not alone in experiencing lackluster PSN download speeds. Jeff has mentioned it at times also.

I mean my internet only goes up to 3mb/s max so maybe it's throttling that a bunch and since yours is higher it has a higher throttle limit? I have no clue but I know that on PSN I'll average under 800kb/s speeds for some reason.

EDIT: Also like, totally send me some of those review codes dood I'll toottttallly review it as well and we can compare notes bro don't worry I won't tell anyone..

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: hmmmm you know about 5 years ago I used to get terrible PSN speeds and multiplayer connectivity, and turned out it was to do with my NAT TYPE. (2 and 3 are less ideal than 1, as I remember).

My max is 15 mb/s and in testing on PC usually the throttle is near 13 ; on PSN usually it sits around 11. So maybe that all checks out? Sounds like you are getting only 25-30% of your max whereas I'm up around 70.

Honestly no real clue how this stuff works at a deeper level. I wouldn't be surprised if the throttle limit is based on the total.

Anyways yeah if you are in the EU, AUS, or NZ sounds like they are all getting physical copies.

As for the size of the game in general - The New Order was a long ass game far as modern shooters go and The Old Blood is maybe half as long? So it's not just a crazy size for not reason.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: Oh yah I have no problem with games being big as far as the size it takes on the drive. If they have to make a game 100gb but it will look amazing then hell yah bring that on. I buy physical copies whenever possible so it's not that big of a deal for me. Likewise for digital downloads I'll just leave the PS4 on in rest mode overnight. I'm not that impatient that a single day is going to make a huge difference - obviously I'd rather play it sooner rather than later but oh well.

I was simply making an argument for why larger sized digital games can be a problem - not to mention that in some countries it's impossible to get internet without download caps which must really suck.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yeah I'm definitely with you on that last point - my heart goes out to my brothers (literal and figurative) in Brasil especially, where they've been playing PlayStation forever but the change in % of physical vs retail has been huge recently - never minding the cost of gaming there already, network speed is an issue for many, and yeah, on top of that your bandwidth caps in any place that has them aren't very up-to-date or realistic when it comes to games. All over the world it is a bummer honestly. Ties in to games needing download patches too. It kinda sucks that this current generation seems so exclusionary, at least if you want the "Ideal Experience".

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't assess a game's length based on its filesize. If the game is a brisk two hours of a camera swooping through hyper-detailed, densely populated terrain, with uncompressed multi-channel orchestral scoring and dozens of vocal tracks, that game is going to be orders of magnitude larger than a 90-hour PS2 RPG. Code and scripting don't take up as much space as art assets and sound files. If anything, the question is not "how long is this game after all?", but rather, "how pretty is this game after all?"

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I was simply making an argument for why larger sized digital games can be a problem - not to mention that in some countries it's impossible to get internet without download caps which must really suck.

Yeh it does suck but its the downloadcaps that suck not the games.

@kcin:big filesize doesnt equal a good looking game.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:
    @humanity said:

Yeh it does suck but its the downloadcaps that suck not the games.

@kcin:big filesize doesnt equal a good looking game.

Nor does it equal a long game, but it has a lot more to do with aesthetics than length.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

new order had realy high res textures so not suprised this is big.

heres hoping its a good amount of content.

also with people wanting 1080p and 60fps etc with great graphics games are gonna be large. not sure where the surprise is comining from

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

More of my game of the year? I'll make room.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thing I just invested in a 2TB hard drive for my PS4, eh?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, not worried but it will take a day or so to pull down. Provided the expansion is as good as the main game I'm fine with it.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

whatever it takes. TNO was awesome and im sure this will be too

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The New Order is over 50 gigs on the hard drive so this shouldn't be particularly surprising.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just to say I finished this game just now. Overall, it was very decent. The last boss fight was just okay. And I 'm not sure I understood the personal motivations of some of the Partizans,. I will have to read something to get the better picture.

But Old Blood overall is a solid FPS, and it has even a little of B.J. being so insane he literally stays just the opposite, a little of that Batman thing. That comes much more evident in The New Order. But counting to 4,inhale,- repeat, makes it's grand appearance.

Speaking of such, on to Arkham Knight

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.