Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 18, 2009

B.J. Blazkowicz returns, guns blazing, to stop the Nazis from harnessing the power of an alternate dimension known as the Black Sun.

"Just Another First Person Shooter"...

• 53 results
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By lemon360

NO FPS WILL HOLD A CANDLE TO MODERN WARFARE 2 (note me emphasizing). But seriously, most people who buy FPS's like cod4 and halo 3 are too young to know, or really care about those old IP's. The older people who care will buy the new wolfenstein, however when you look past any nostalgia you might have, Wolfenstein is lame main hero wise for younger generations. First Nazis are done to death; people have enough Nazis with WaW. Secondly your not fighting in an interstellar conflict (Killzone). Third your not a badass supersolder (Halo). Lastly the story is uninspired and lame compared to the Modern Warfare subfranchise. I mean C'mon, Nazis? The Occult? Alternate dimensions? Give me a break.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By crunchUK
    @jakob187 said:

"

Can a game like Wolfenstein or Unreal or Quake compete in the "new FPS" market...especially since consoles have come into play as much as the PC for the genre?
    "

no. FPS have changed, it's no longer who can practise the twitchy reactions and lines of sight the most hours a day. That kind of gameplay is considered boring these days and any attempt at recreating in recent years has usually flopped.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @jakob187 said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Fill me in with this info.  Are the same guys that made all the other ones makin' this one too? If not, it won't be that great. "
    id Software made Wolfenstein 3D.  Gray Matter made Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  Splash Damage made Enemy Territory.  Raven is making the new one.  Each installment was made by different people.  Therefore, I don't understand your question.  Raven Software is currently known for making the Marvel Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends games, but long ago, their starting roots were in making Heretic and Hexen.  These were two games that came out alongside Doom as originators of the FPS genre.  They've been in the FPS genre for a while.  They are also working on Singularity. "

Heretic and Hexen both used the Doom engine, so they can't really be hailed as originators of the franchise, they were the first "Me Too" games, akin to the masses we now see using other peoples succesful game engines to create their own games. They made a couple things before Heretic and Hexen, but nothing major mostly some work for electronic arts. I make the distinction because although other games used the Doom engine as well, neither Heretic nor Hexen tried to push the genre when it was most in need of technological advancement, whereas ID continued to push the newborn genre and other such as 3D Realms really pushing the technology to new heights.

Hopefully Raven will put out a fantastic game, imo at least the previous Wolfenstein games have been rubbish, but that's just my opinion. Whereas I really enjoyed Solider of Fortune, Voyager: Elite Force and SOF 2: Double Helix, as well as Quake 4, so Raven should do a nice job. 
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By PureRok

It is just another first person shooter. Just another first person shooter about Nazis. Bo-ring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.