Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 25, 2012

Unveiled at Blizzcon 2011, Mists of Pandaria is the fourth expansion for World of Warcraft. The game focuses on the war between the Horde and Alliance, and not a main villain like the previous expansions. Players embark on a journey to Pandaria, discovering a new race, class and much more.

There's still a language barrier?

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atary77

Originally I was gonna ask if any folks here knew whether or not if WoW would still have it's Horde/Alliance language barrier now that there's a race that can be played on either side. But instead I decided to turn to Google and found out that beta players have already confirmed that yes there is still a language barrier. Despite the fact that lore wise, Pandaren should still be able to communicate with one another despite being on separate factions. However game play wise they will not be able to.

Tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this is rather silly. Originally to my understanding the whole language barrier thing was put in place because of people just being stupid during PvP. I get the fact Blizzard wants to protect people from the gutter talk of competitive games like this (especially if it's anything like League of Legends) but at least on an RP server you would think people may be civil enough to be able to communicate even if there are a number of bad apples out there.

And with this line of reasoning you may as well keep people from talking to each other when playing against each other in Starcraft 2.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Also why can't the Blood Elves talk to humans? Why can't the Undead talk to Humans? And if I'm not mistaken, weren't the Orcs and Humans able to talk to each other in Warcraft 3?

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Moonshadow101

Its a situation where a specific gameplay feature is being prioritized over logical consistency. There's no point in trying to poke holes in it, blizzard has admitted multiple times that it doesn't really make sense story-wise.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By YoungFrey

I always liked how well the language barrier did at making players hate the other faction. It is a simple obvious psychology trick, and it works great.

Lemonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Lemonhead

It doesn't make sense, it's a game mechanic thing, the first poster is right.

I remember in the weeks leading up to Wrath of the Lich King where the infested grain was shipped to the capitals, if you got infected and turned undead, you could speak to all infected people, regardless of faction. I thought that was a little neat feature.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShadowConqueror

It's not much different from how the Undead and Blood Elves don't understand common, despite the Undead formerly being Humans and the Blood Elves formerly being members of the Alliance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.