Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 23, 2020

The eighth World of Warcraft expansion set, Shadowlands opens up the world of the afterlife, due to Sylvanas Windrunner defeating the Lich King.

How's this treating you?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Some initial impressions:

Plaguefall is one of the more annoying dungeons I've seen in years. Slow effects and poison circles = annoying! Can't see myself going back to this one.

I liked Maldraxxus thematically but it was pretty bland/brown visually. Like the idea of an eternal war between bad guys (kind of like the Blood War in D&D), but the zone was difficult to traverse. Still, a neat questline to unlock your sword thing.

Just got into Ardenweald last night and was immediately annoyed by the shift to overly cute dialogue; felt like someone watched too much MLP and tried to write a storyline to match? I'm still working my way through this one but I'll probably leave it on mute for now.

I dunno; it's more WoW, and that's always fun, but so far I'm not overly jazzed by it. But I'm still only 57 and I'm a ways away from Torghast and the endgame dungeons. How are you all faring? Maybe we'll try some Community Co-op Corner on Monday?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm tryin' real hard to get there since I'm a patch break in FFXIV but I gotta go through BFA first and it's a real bummer.

AaronM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't decided if I'm going to jump back in for this, but as someone who plays WoW as a solo game almost exclusively, Torghast certainly sounds interesting.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@aaronm: I'm also generally a solo player. I'll let you know how torghast turns out!

winsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

A bunch of my friends are playing it, but I honestly can't muster the energy to play more retail wow. I'm still raiding on Classic and that is enough to keep my wow fix satiated but I can't see me buying Shadowlands any time soon. They all seem to be enjoying the expansion so far though so that's something.

Charongreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was there at launch (which weirdly went great, servers have been pretty stable, if some areas are pretty laggy) and got through the whole intro campaign in like two days, which made me get a little burnt out on it (it took me something like 15 hours?). I liked the vast majority of it, the zones design wise remind me too much of Legion where everything is made of walls and pits and its a pain in the ass to navigate. I was lukewarm on most of them (except Ardenweald, because I hit a story mission that required me to be a full level higher than I was and had to go grind a half dozen quests to continue) until Revendreth, which I loved. Revendreth feels like the one they had fun making, its weird and full of little touches and charm that fell flat for me on the other 3. I hate the Maw and Torgast though.

The Maw was boring but fine until they turned on the roguelite stuff that punishes you for spending too much time in the area, so I have more or less stopped going there altogether, except to do the weekly to get 5 souls. Torgast was fun in the tutorial (they dump a bunch of rare abilities on you constantly and just let you steamroll through it) and the first floor was fine (much fewer abilities and more traps, but totally manageable). Floor two is where I guess they decided you needed to get good, because its the first I'm seeing of shitty abilities (got two at once that gave you either a physical damage buff or a magic one at the cost of 75% of your healing, and couldn't not take one.) and the boss has kicked my ass both times I've tried it. I hear people saying they have no problem with going all the way through, and I'm guessing if you play a tank regularly or have a group its fine, but as a solo frost DK it's been a hard wall.

The story after the initial intro has also been a letdown, because its tied to a rep system you grind with weeklies, meaning you get a chapter a week that lasts about an hour, and you get at least one campaign armor piece and this week we got a mount too. There's also a weekly Torgast quest that last week had us rescue someone, but this week seems to be 'I dunno, guess we'll get em next time' which was a really frustrating end after failing on the final boss again. I haven't touched a dungeon yet and because I haven't been doing Torgast I haven't really interacted with the Runecarver and his legendaries, so I guess there's more stuff to do but so far I've been doing the world quests that either give a good armor piece or anima and grinding out old content.

On a side note I didn't touch BfA until it was free, and I liked it, at least the Alliance side. Waiting for warfronts to pop is a massive pain in the ass but I liked the stories and the zones.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a lot of fun out of the gate, way more than some previous expansions have been. I enjoy all the dungeons which is rare, usually one or two I don't care for but here they are all good in my opinion.

Professions feel a bit more old school style, which I like. BFA made professions feel really pointless unless you are an alch/herb farmer.

Torghast is fun though I don't see myself doing it more than the minimum weekly to get rewards. It also has been insanely easy, but I guess most solo things are as a Beast Mastery Hunter.

Looking forward to the raid. My hunter is Ilvl 182 at the moment, 184 being the max from dungeons this week. I'll make a legendary if I get a memory I like but otherwise I'll hold off.

Lotta mounts, pets, achievements, etc to farm, which is my main draw to WoW, so I'll be happily busy for a while

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like with previous expansions, I’ve just focused on questing and following the story. Haven’t really even touched the dungeons, because of that persisting fear of getting screamed at for not doing well enough in pugs.

Even then, it has been fine! The story hasn’t been anything special, but it has given me some of that Warcraft cheese I enjoy and has been a good motivation to go through the zones. Reached lvl 60 yesterday, which was sort of sad in the sense, that it didn’t really like an achievement in any way (but I guess that’s how it has been for several expansions by now). But I guess it’s the Covenants and all that are the important things at the level cap. I assume I get to choose one soon.

Not sure if I’ll resub immediately after this month expires. I still have like 20 or so days left and that’s probably enough time to level an alt or two and get fed up with the daily/weekly grind.

jasperkazai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jasperkazai

As always this close to a launch, it's too early to tell if this expansion will be "good" or not. I didn't quit BfA until halfway through the second raid tier - and it was the first expansion I ever willingly quit without any outside reasons (like school or whatever), so that speaks to how truly bad BfA was. Still, there were aspects of it that I liked, and I did pop back in a couple of times over the remainder of the expansion to check in on the story and stuff.

I stayed up the first night and hit 60 about 5:50am my time (it launched at 6pm the day before). The launch was fairly flawless - aside from a little bit of lag at times (which is understandable, honestly) and a couple of occasions where being in a party with my friends screwed with a quest progressing properly, it was smooth sailing. I had leveled in the beta, as I've done for the past few expansions, so I can just breeze through it on live. I'm not a fan of the overall premise of the expansion - I think it's kind of dumb, and feels very underbaked. The leveling experience also feels somewhat rushed and unfinished.

So I've spent the remaining time doing max level stuff, and running Mythic 0s with my friends and guild. Most of the dungeons are pretty ok. I think there are a couple of instances where boss fights have one too many mechanics for their own good - the last boss of Theater of Pain, as one example.

I've also been slowly leveling my first alt when I have a break of stuff to do on my main. Hit 57 last night on it. Word of warning to anyone - the "Threads of Fate" leveling system choice they've implemented for alts is garbage. It removes the story quest structure and just throws you into the zones to complete bonus objectives and world quests in order to fill up a bar and level. It's slower, aimless, and overall boring as hell. I do not recommend it at all. You can switch off of the story to Threads of Fate at any time, but once you pick Threads of Fate there is no turning back. You should level normally until 59, and then go and activate Threads of Fate on your alts. That's the best method.

jonnyisnotako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jonnyisnotako

Leveling was a pretty fun process but not a big fan of the endgame grinds so far. Anima feels like a grindier version of artifact power and the renown ranks aren't really explained too well without using wowhead or other sites. Also as an outlaw rogue I've been having an awful time with Torghast. I've heard from death knight and demon hunter friends that it's insanely easy for those classes. It's frustrating to have legendary gear mostly locked behind what feels like an improperly tuned repeatable dungeon but mythic dungeons with friends are still fun at least.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#13  Edited By ADAMWD

Its fun but I'm just not a huge fan of how much focus there is on daily/weekly stuff and the slow drip feed of content. I like classic Wow because I feel like all of my time playing the game is being rewarded in some way rather than having to wait to be allowed to progress.

The dungeons have been enjoyable by in large though and Nathria looks pretty good. I am having fun with Torghast but I wish there was more progression tied into it.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Having a great time and can't wait to go raiding this week!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.