Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 13, 2014

Allowing players to enter the past and tread the world of Draenor before its destruction, the fifth World of Warcraft expansion brings a level cap increase to level 100, a new world, and another graphics engine overhaul.

Will this run on my 3 year old ultrabook?

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I've got a 3 year old ultrabook, i7 processor, Intel integrated HD3000 graphics, not really sure how well this will run with the new updates to the character models and stuff. I honestly only played for about a month when Mists of Pandaria came out 2 years ago and I don't seem to remember the game running amazingly well even then. Anyone with a similar computer playing the game?

I have an inactive Mists of Pandaria account, can I load that up as a "starter" account to test it out without paying?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By doctordonkey

I think this thing can run on a toaster now. Just set everything to low if you have to.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

The game is a decade old. Even with the updates, I imagine it'll run just fine.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You'll probably have to lower some graphical settings because of the integrated graphics.

Intel HD 3000 is the minimum requirements though, according to this post on Battle.net. The other stuff will be fine. And yeah, the graphics overhaul, new models and spell effects etc will be in the base game as well. You could try a trial account, or check if the PTR is available to you.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nick

Hmmm min specs, I may have to try a trial account then, I'd like to give the game another (casual) go but not if it's going to run like crap.

It's weird, I played through Bioshock Infinite no problem on this laptop, and Skyrim (although I had to use a mod to get a good framerate), Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2 (haven't tried DA3) all run fine, but Dreamfall Chapters runs like garbage.

Anyway, if Intel HD 3000 is the min requirement I'm not too optimistic here. The only thing I absolutely hate turning down is draw distance, so if i can set all the graphics options to low in WoW except the draw distance, I'll be happy.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By VierasTalo

If you can play through Bioshock Infinite you'll be fine regardless of what their min specs are.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@nick said:

Hmmm min specs, I may have to try a trial account then, I'd like to give the game another (casual) go but not if it's going to run like crap.

It's weird, I played through Bioshock Infinite no problem on this laptop, and Skyrim (although I had to use a mod to get a good framerate), Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2 (haven't tried DA3) all run fine, but Dreamfall Chapters runs like garbage.

Anyway, if Intel HD 3000 is the min requirement I'm not too optimistic here. The only thing I absolutely hate turning down is draw distance, so if i can set all the graphics options to low in WoW except the draw distance, I'll be happy.

I play on an Ultrabook on low settings (when I don't have access to my desktop) and it does fine. I don't get the draw distance I want but every encounter is manageable. Just expect about 20 FPS or so and don't expect to do raids but overall you should be fine.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
    @laszlokovacs said:

The game is a decade old. Even with the updates, I imagine it'll run just fine.

They did quite a bit of graphical overall on that game with the last two expansions, so it does actually require a little something more.

So basically, instead of a 486 processor, you actually need a Pentium 2 now.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@nick said:

Yeah, I'd try a trial just to make sure it'll run well enough to be enjoyable. Of course, it'll be hard to simulate all the spell effects and stuff going on in a 25 man raid, but hanging around target dummies might do the trick.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nick

Ok I installed the starter version, looks like the game is running 15 - 30 fps, depending on where I am and what's going on. The graphics options are all set to medium or low, except draw distance is all the way up. Could be worse, might turn the draw distance down from Ultra to High.

I'll probably play around a bit more with the starter version and if i can maintain ~20 fps i'll get Warlords of Draenor. I'd love to just buy a new computer, but I've been living out of the country for the past 2.5 years (I'm from canada) and the average salary in the country i'm in is quite low; it's difficult to buy anything from the US because it's a much bigger percentage of my monthly income.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.