Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

How important is your virtual character?

luffylol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By luffylol

We live in a world were everybody(or many) wants to have their identity on the internet... myspace and facebook are great examples, but in MMOs we see more and more how people use their virtual characters as a portal to their social lives.

it doesnt matter if your fat geek in real life, when you can be a handsome elf in a video game. it does not matter that you have a dead end boring job, when you can have an exciting online life. And I guess thats why 10 million people play games like WoW.

How important is your character for you??? do you feel its a part of your life? how important is it? how obsessed are you with your characters looks, and your social life in your guild and people on your friends list?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

I sometimes try to make them look like myself (tall, broad, very fair skin, brown hair, blue eyes) but a lot of times I just go for the so-fucking-ridiculous-it's-funny character design. I couldn't care less.

HoldSteady828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By HoldSteady828

I make hideous monsters. Pretend is fun.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

Very important.  I wonder how mad someone would be if you deleted their character?  That's like their life right.  "You tried to kill me!  NOW I'LL KILL YOU"

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "Very important.  I wonder how mad someone would be if you deleted their character?  That's like their life right.  "You tried to kill me!  NOW I'LL KILL YOU""
    That would be hilarious.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

In RPGs, I always play old dwarves.  This is namely because I'm 6'2" in RL, and I don't want people asking me if I can reach the top shelf for them in a fucking video game.  =  /

Plus...dwarves look badass with big fucking hammers.

Is the character important to my life?  Uh, no.  I dumped WoW after three years of working on him, so not a huge deal to me.  The persona of the character is something that reflects my exact opposite, I guess...if you wanna get psychological about it all.

Really, I just like to carry the name around:  Finlee.  That's the kind of dood you wanna get drunk with!
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By TomA

i think of my char as a way to just escape from a life in high shool,which isn't so great for me.Great thread BTW:)

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tanuki

In any game regardless where I can customize my characters' attributes, facial features, skin tones, build - whatever, I always try to make them as accurately depicting of my ideals and looks as possible.  I also find it hard to kill innocents in games, regardless of the reward.  I find I get more immersed in the game if I try to expand my real life personality into it.

luffylol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By luffylol

For me, it's kinda like - I don't like myself too much, so if I can create a beautiful avatar in a game, that I think looks cool, and If I feel like I am him, I am happy. And thats my motivation to continue to play. To get prettier equipment, and friends.
    It's the life we can never have, because it's a fantasy, but is there anything wrong with that?

It's almost like being a kid and imaging yourself as a ninja turtle or power ranger or something. I wonder if this belief and behavior for me is a sign of immaturity!?
    I am by no means one of does hardcore players that raid all day. I just like the dress up doll aspect of these types of games much more than actually getting the loot.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jayge_
    jakob187 said:
    "In RPGs, I always play old dwarves.  This is namely because I'm 6'2" in RL, and I don't want people asking me if I can reach the top shelf for them in a fucking video game.  =  /
    Plus...dwarves look badass with big fucking hammers.
    "
    I used to be like that. Made my characters real short. Then I was like "screw it, I like being taller than everyone" and just started maxing the heights out on everything.
    kajankua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By kajankua

i quit playing WoW but i could never delete/sell my chars
    i feel like they're my children

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.