Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

New expansion announcement at GamesCom

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

It's all happening!

I admit that WoD doesn't strike me as being all that particularly first-rate of an expansion at this point. Garrisons were neat but quickly became a grind when you have multiple 100s, and the ship stuff just doesn't feel fun, especially when you wind up losing ships (lost three in one day recently and haven't gone back to it). Don't particularly care for Tanaan, either. I did enjoy leveling, though.

I was skeptical that they were going to announce the XP this year, so having it this early's a pretty good sign that it might at least go into beta testing sometime before the end of the year, or so we can hope. Still going to be a long wait before we're playing it for real, though. Time to get through the rest of these LFRs, I guess.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

WoD was kind of disappointing. It felt small and was really linear. They just kept pushing you and pushing you through all the content and when it was over I didn't feel like I was able to explore the world. I hope with expansions coming sooner that doesn't mean they're going to get smaller.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Relkin

I haven't played since Wrath of the Lich King (and don't plan on getting back in), but I'm always interested in what they do with it next. Didn't they retcon the story in this last expansion?

Anyways, they should make the Emerald Dream the next expansion. I thought that was the obvious expansion from the get-go. They could do just about whatever they want in a dream world.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

WoD's post launch support as lack of content finally caused me to break off the 9 year relationship I had with World of Warcraft. Paying the most money for a WoW expansion to date, yet netting only one major content patch (6.1 lol), as well as some of the decisions that made the game even less social, made me realize I really need to pay with my dollars. Even the WoW tokens weren't worth my virtual money and real time, so I made sure to give all my gold/items/pets of value to my old guild's bank, wish them good luck, and sign off from WoW for good. There are a lot other games doing what WoW once did better (FF14's expansions feels very Vanilla WoW/Burning Crusade in style, which is amazing).

I am very interested in seeing what the expansion details, what the people at Blizzard say, and then what the eventual result it, but I will not be playing the game. A bit of me is sad, I have a ton of memories from when I was a kid playing WoW, into my adulthood and so on, but I couldn't keep on supporting a cause that has gone so far from it's core, and seem to not care about it's customers.

Diablo 3 is pretty much the last bastion of Blizzard that I still enjoy, and as long as the new seasons keep having the awesome new content and items, I'll be ok there.

Lok'Tar O'gar one last time.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just uninstalled WoW like literally an hour ago. Don't make me relapse.

Please.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Huh, how come you didn't post it as its own front page news article?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
    No Caption Provided

I was skeptical that they were going to announce the XP this year, so having it this early's a pretty good sign that it might at least go into beta testing sometime before the end of the year, or so we can hope. Still going to be a long wait before we're playing it for real, though. Time to get through the rest of these LFRs, I guess.

I've two guesses as to why they're moving this announcement out of Blizzcon and into Gamescom.

The first is that they finally (finally for real this time) realize they can't keep leaving it two years between expansions and they're announcing this now and then announcing the beta at Blizzcon.

The second is that they're making room at Blizzcon for the movie. After the private screening at SDCC they said it would be November before they showed any more and that pretty much points to Blizzcon.

I played WoD until I got one character to 100, then pottered around for a bit until the first big patch came out and then pretty much dropped off again. My girlfriend still plays. She's just started getting into LFR and has made her way through the content that's been released so far. She also spent time going back and soloing the old raids because she'd never seen them before.

I really miss WoW sometimes but every time I go back to it, it never captures me the way it once did. I've an email about a few week. I might grab that and have a look around the new zone, which I haven't been to yet.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is WoD not considered a good expansion? I remember people being positive about it when it was first released (aside from technical issues).

I got a char to 100 and dropped off shortly after, I'm always interested to see what they've got planned next though.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heltom92: I think it was liked more than MoP, but there was a certain honeymoon period that the big patches didn't really expand on as much as people would've liked. It's not a bad expansion, but it hasn't been as good as people first thought it was going to be.

Ithryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this exp comes soon. A December release would be a nice surprise, but maybe that is too much wishful thinking.

In other notes, I would love to see a premium series with Rorie playing WoW, à la Rorcraft. That was a fun series. Maybe a leveling series or something.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If history teaches us anything, one thing we can almost guarantee in this next expansion is that it will have the word "of" in the title at least once.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I can appreciate them putting out more content. They should let it die, but it can die slowly with the die-hard fans getting some last shot of content.

Personally, I hate MMOs. I think they are a stop gap solution of much better games that simply cannot be made yet without sophisticated AI that grows as you play.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I can appreciate them putting out more content. They should let it die, but it can die slowly with the die-hard fans getting some last shot of content.

Personally, I hate MMOs. I think they are a stop gap solution of much better games that simply cannot be made yet without sophisticated AI that grows as you play.

Stop Gap how?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@yummylee said:

Huh, how come you didn't post it as its own front page news article?

I rarely post to the front page, and even if I did, there really wasn't much to go on here. Maybe I'll write it up when they announce it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this adds permadeath to players & all bosses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.