Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

The ability to ignore accounts instead of just one character.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fullmetal5550

Whenever I play WoW I sometimes ask myself why Blizzard does not make the ignore system ignore the entire account of the person you want to ignore. Ignoring one character just gives the person I am ignoring the ability to jump on an alt and keep spamming/insulting me. What do you the men and women who play WoW think about an ignore system that would ignore a player's entire account?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By MildMolasses

That's really how it works? That's terrible. Obviouslt you would want to block the person behind the character, not the character itself. It's like it was designed by someone that thinks all the characters are real, sentient individuals
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Gaff
    @fullmetal5550 What happens when I report a player for spamming?
    Firstly, the reported player will be ignored by you for the rest of your gaming session. This ignore function extends to the player's entire account, so the player will not be able to contact you again even if he or she makes a new character. Secondly, your report is sent to the game masters who are assigned to deal with these reports so that it can be reviewed. If necessary, appropriate action may be taken in accordance with our behavior and harassment policies.

Copy pasted description of the Report Spam feature. Bliss at least for your game session. If it persists, make a GM ticket. Blizzard keeps extensive logs on what happens on their servers.

Hope this helps.
    fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fullmetal5550
    @Gaff: That is something I don't understand. Why make the Report Spam feature block an entire person's account but not the ignore feature?
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By valrog
    @fullmetal5550:  Perhaps if you ignore someone not solely for spamming/harassing, but you would still talk to his other characters (knowing or not knowing that were his), you could? I don't know.
    fleppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By fleppie

Had that happen to me once, but a block is just two clicks away. Ass soon as he whispered me, I'd ignore him because some people can't be anything else then jerks.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Gaff
    @fullmetal5550 Wild guess: a more elegant weapon for a more civilised age?

I remember in the early days of WoW, the ignore function was sufficient. This is going to sound like grumpy old man talk, people were less... Spiteful? Also the among of gold spam was almost non-existent.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @Fleppie said:
    "Had that happen to me once, but a block is just two clicks away. Ass soon as he whispered me, I'd ignore him because some people can't be anything else then jerks. "

Pretty much this 
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It is a bit of a weakness in the system.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By melcene
    @valrog said:
    " @fullmetal5550:  Perhaps if you ignore someone not solely for spamming/harassing, but you would still talk to his other characters (knowing or not knowing that were his), you could? I don't know. "
    This.  I know a guy who an adult, and a fairly mature one... except for when he believed that I destroyed his guild and took most of the active players with me (note that it WAS my guild, I had just come back from a leave of absence).  He put all my (known) characters on ignore in a fit of e-rage.  He later cooled down, but I think that there are some people out there who do hit the ignore too fast, or for stupid reasons, or just because they're throwing a tantrum.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.