Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

[US] WoW Duder Newbie Brigade (not a guild)

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So after years of bagging on WoW (and actively avoiding it), I finally embraced my inner "New Dan" and decided to give this game a try. Funny part is, I'm kinda liking it.

My thought is this: I may very well be the last human to ever try WoW for the first time ever. However, maybe there is a couple that are in my position of checking it out after seeing some of Rorie's streams. If that's the case, why not toss your Battle.net info down below and maybe we can get some groups going or just all bumble aimlessly as one?

If anyone can think of a cooler name, lemme know. Right now I'm willing to go with World of Warcraft Newbie Duder Brigade (WoWNDB).

Housekeeping:

1. I mean "Fresh off the boat" new here with WoW.
    2. I'm not quite ready to jump in a guild yet as there are a few I'm scoping (and again, see 1)
    3. I'm using the Starter Edition, which works well for anyone on the fence like me.
    4. Yes, I know the effect this game has on people's lives. I work IT for a living with plenty of unpaid overtime. I know what I'm getting into, and frankly I need the escapism (also, I've already made intervention arrangements should it ever come to that).

Also, if you made it this far: Zaero # 11237

Update: I'm in the US. Thanks to @do_the_manta_ray for the heads up!

ZachDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ZachDood

Sure what the heck. I'm really downloading it now. I'll try it. Zachdood is my battle.net id.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zachdood: You'll need to include the numbers after that.

ZachDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry bout that. I'd managed to avoid the Blizzard juggernaut up till now so I'm not entirely familiar with Battle.Net. ZachDood#1207 is what it says.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madman356647: Unfortunately, Eu and US players cannot play group together as there are region-specific servers. It's a bit of a shame, but there's nothing to be done. As such, you might want to edit your post to say where you're from.

Also, as something of a veteran, feel free to toss me any questions you might have. Best of luck with this endeavor, always cool to see the community undertake something together.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So some snags:

If you're playing Starter Edition (Read: Not subbing), we can't make groups. So uhhh, if there's more interest I may cook up a Discord Server.

noval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By noval

As somebody who's not exactly new to the game I thought I'd give you guys some pointers if you're interested:

- Each race has its own starting area. It's not super difficult to get to another races area if you know where you're going but I'd recommend starting with the same one if you wanna play together.

- If you're not sure where exactly a quest is sending you check the map and track the quest from your questlog.

- Try to save up a bit more than 1g by the time you hit 20, that's when you get your first Mount. Though the max level in the starter edition is 20 anyway I think.

- Instances are kind of weird for new players now. The instance finder is an amazing tool that let's you find groups pretty quick(depending on your role) but most people are experienced players leveling their alts in full heirloom sets (gear that binds to your account. gotta have a highlevel character to buy it but it scales with your level and grants several experience bonuses and pretty sweet stats). That means the already easy low level dungeons are going to be a full faceroll. It's likely nobody is going to wait for you or explain anything and you'll probably won't be doing much unless you're the tank. I'd recommend just following whoever seems to have a plan, hit whatever somebody else is hitting and enjoying the sights.

- The pre legion-event that's going on right now is a decent way to level up quickly but you'll bore yourself to tears, that's more for people leveling up their 8th alt. It drops nice gear though and it's fun to do once or twice. You'll see where the invasions are happening on the worldmap.

- WoW is a truly, truly massive game. If you're ever bored with something, try something else. With the latest class changes all 9 base classes with their 3 specializations each play pretty differently and there's been a lot of work on the starting zones over the years so they're all at least decent now.

- Explore and have fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.