Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Why do people hate WoW?

• 61 results
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator
    No Caption Provided
    I have played warcraft at several points over my life. Several years ago, before the Burning Crusade, then for a brief period after the Burning Crusade was released (this didn't last long as I didn't really enjoy the expansion) and most recently, now - over the last 10 days. It seems everyone has a strong opinion of World Of Warcraft - those that play it seem to enjoy it immensely (and so they should, considering the amount they pay for their Azeroth freedom pass) and those that don't play regard it with utter disdain. I have bounced back and forth along the entire spectrum of WoW emotion, ranging from "This is one of the best games ever made!" to "This is destroying my soul, I can now only perceive people as abstract avatars in a world devoid of real human intimacy". I seem to only enjoy world of warcraft when i'm playing it. The rest of the time I see it as a vampiric friend-seducing siren which must be destroyed and avoided at all costs.

Hypocrisy is a wonderful thing.

Having played the game, left and returned, I feel like I now have a decent perspective on World Of Warcraft. The quality and design of the game itself is consistently high, the actual critique of the game however seems to rely completely on how much time you can spare, how much of your life you are prepared to devote to a parallel existence without alcohol or women. It's a tough call (Though apparently not if you live in Sweden. Seriously, what the fuck is up with every european server being clogged with Swedish kids?)

No Caption Provided

The main issue with WoW is that there is no room for half measures. The amount you pay for the access to Azeroth necessetates a minimum amount of playtime to make the purchase worthwhile. Your enjoyment of the game may cease when you discover you are actually not getting your money's worth. Stacked on top of this is the fact that - despite Blizzard trying to make the game accessible for new players, it's still a ridiculously overwhelming. Each expansion simply adds more stuff at the end. My playtime spans several years, I still have no idea what the fuck the endgame kids are talking about. What frustrates me is the large chunk of neccessary playtime in order to reach the endgame entertainments. It's seems, in a bout of cynicism, that Blizzard have basically slapped on a minimum fee to actually get to the game. Grinding isn't a game. It's boring. Why do people knowingly play a game where a large chunk of the time is spent playing expensively boring gameplay?

No Caption Provided
    As a concept the Grind might be outdated, but that is perhaps because the actual principle of exploration and interaction with other players has been perverted by gamers who insist upon progression at maximum speed, replacing inquisitive exploration with brutally efficient exploitation. It's a paradox, because whilst endgame is apparently the most enjoyable aspect of WoW, it is also the most narrow in scope when placed in the context of Azeroth in it's entirety. The problem at the moment is that all the servers are full of level 80 characters, starting afresh is now an extremely lonely experience unless steps are taken to ensure you have several friends progressing alongside you.

My feelings towards WoW remain fairly ambivalent at this point. I can take it or leave it. At this exact moment in time however, Azeroth provides me with a nice distraction from the real world. The faults of World Of Warcraft are currently outweighed by its merits, though my opinion of it remains precarious.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    No Caption Provided
    I have played warcraft at several points over my life. Several years ago, before the Burning Crusade, then for a brief period after the Burning Crusade was released (this didn't last long as I didn't really enjoy the expansion) and most recently, now - over the last 10 days. It seems everyone has a strong opinion of World Of Warcraft - those that play it seem to enjoy it immensely (and so they should, considering the amount they pay for their Azeroth freedom pass) and those that don't play regard it with utter disdain. I have bounced back and forth along the entire spectrum of WoW emotion, ranging from "This is one of the best games ever made!" to "This is destroying my soul, I can now only perceive people as abstract avatars in a world devoid of real human intimacy". I seem to only enjoy world of warcraft when i'm playing it. The rest of the time I see it as a vampiric friend-seducing siren which must be destroyed and avoided at all costs.

Hypocrisy is a wonderful thing.

Having played the game, left and returned, I feel like I now have a decent perspective on World Of Warcraft. The quality and design of the game itself is consistently high, the actual critique of the game however seems to rely completely on how much time you can spare, how much of your life you are prepared to devote to a parallel existence without alcohol or women. It's a tough call (Though apparently not if you live in Sweden. Seriously, what the fuck is up with every european server being clogged with Swedish kids?)

No Caption Provided

The main issue with WoW is that there is no room for half measures. The amount you pay for the access to Azeroth necessetates a minimum amount of playtime to make the purchase worthwhile. Your enjoyment of the game may cease when you discover you are actually not getting your money's worth. Stacked on top of this is the fact that - despite Blizzard trying to make the game accessible for new players, it's still a ridiculously overwhelming. Each expansion simply adds more stuff at the end. My playtime spans several years, I still have no idea what the fuck the endgame kids are talking about. What frustrates me is the large chunk of neccessary playtime in order to reach the endgame entertainments. It's seems, in a bout of cynicism, that Blizzard have basically slapped on a minimum fee to actually get to the game. Grinding isn't a game. It's boring. Why do people knowingly play a game where a large chunk of the time is spent playing expensively boring gameplay?

No Caption Provided
    As a concept the Grind might be outdated, but that is perhaps because the actual principle of exploration and interaction with other players has been perverted by gamers who insist upon progression at maximum speed, replacing inquisitive exploration with brutally efficient exploitation. It's a paradox, because whilst endgame is apparently the most enjoyable aspect of WoW, it is also the most narrow in scope when placed in the context of Azeroth in it's entirety. The problem at the moment is that all the servers are full of level 80 characters, starting afresh is now an extremely lonely experience unless steps are taken to ensure you have several friends progressing alongside you.

My feelings towards WoW remain fairly ambivalent at this point. I can take it or leave it. At this exact moment in time however, Azeroth provides me with a nice distraction from the real world. The faults of World Of Warcraft are currently outweighed by its merits, though my opinion of it remains precarious.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Im not sure why people hate wow. I dont play it because I know it would take my life over if i enjoyed it (giantbomb is crack as it is), but i dont hate it. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

The people in this topic express why they don't play.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By slinky6

Expensive shit that requires little skill but lots of time.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Why do we constantly get threads about why people hate or love popular game X nowadays? If you don't like a popular game, you don't have to play. There's no reason to try and step on people's toes by pretending your taste is the superior. Vice versa for defenders of such games. You don't even need to defend them. WoW has several million of subscribers, evidently "people" in general don't hate it. I guess it's human nature to jump on love or hate bandwagons for popular shit but whatever, give it a rest people, enjoy what you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By DrRandle

Personally? I was a huge fan of the lore created in Warcraft 3, especially, and I feel that WoW pretty much took a giant crap all over it.

Another problem I have, and this extends to a lot of MMO's, is that they never feel like the same game after a while. Personally, I enjoy a little consistency, but WoW has seen it's classes nerfed and tweaked more times than Oprah's been fat and skinny. I currently play City of Heroes, and am in the beta for Champions (am I allowed to even say that? Damn NDA's.) Personally? I enjoy City of Heroes in that it feels consistant. In the time I've played it, I've never felt that one class or another of mine plays any differently then when I started. I admit I haven't played a whole lot of WoW, but I still keep up with a lot of it. (not necessarily by choice, as all 3 of the other people I live with play it off and on, as do most of my friends.) Even amongst them, the ones who play it to a greater degree than I play any one game, a few of them admit that they don't think Blizzard has done a great job keeping the game stable.

If you ask me, the only reason WoW has surpassed over every other MMO is because it had name recognition to get that initial boost, and then it spread like a virus to people who don't even play video games. It's almost like the Wii. It's cheap, it's effective, and it's simple to get into.

It's a great online social experience, but for my money, it's just not a very stable game. And again, I liked it better when the lore wasn't assanine. (not saying the writers are bad, but the story itself has gone to hell.)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I don't hate WoW, but I found it really boring, and I tried to get into it several times.

Everquest did a lot of things better than WoW.  More reason and interest in exploring, more of a sense of danger and involvement.  EQ didn't make everything so noob friendly.  More of a sense of 'what am I going to see and do today?' in EQ.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By cinemandrew
    @Sweep: I think it's an amazing game. I used to play it too (for about 2 years). The reason I quit, and will never come back is because you're so reliant on other people to progress. I realize that this is the point of an MMORPG, but it can be frustratingly difficult to find good people to play with. Even within the several guilds I was a part of, it was difficult to get help. I ended up doing pugs way more than guild runs (except for raids, of course). I just got so sick of dealing with the same kind of people over and over again. It got to the point, where I actually welcomed the pushy, arrogant, assholes into my pugs because they were usually more serious about the game, and they got shit done. But then I had to listen to their bull shit about how stupid everyone was for the next hour or two. I tried friendly guilds, and they were good for conversations, but not really for progressing. I also tried serious, raiding guilds, and those were even more frustrating. No one ever wanted to help anyone else out unless it benefited themselves, or sometimes the guild. It was like you had to beg to get someone to run one instance with you.

I like playing games with other folks. If all my friends played WOW, I'd probably have a much better time, but they didn't. So it is a great game, and certainly entertaining, but your level of enjoyment is almost always going to be related to the calibur of people you're playing with, which was more often bad rather than good.

Oh, and I played on a less than public server for a while too. That just turned me off to the game completely. It's just not fun by yourself, even with all the gm commands, and any weapon/armor you want.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think the answer to this question is simple. People like to be rebels. If something turns mainstream, people like to separate themselves from it faster than 3 shakes of a lambs tail. Works the same way with music.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Psyx2

WoW is a great game that will only take over your life if you let it. When I first got it I played it for maybe 6-8 hours at most, but after that I played it maybe an hour or two any given day. It's not that addicting.

I don't hate WoW, but I probably won't play it again - unless for a very short amount of time. This is just because I played it for 2 years, and the grind concept has worn out on me. It's actually hard for me to find a MMO I like anymore, because most of them do the same thing and it's boring after you've had your share of it. But the experience itself is great, especially if you have some friends to play it with.
    The people who hate it most likely hate it because of the grind. Some people start to hate it quicker than other people do. I picked up on it around level 40, but managed to make it to level 65 before I had enough. I just wish the MMO games would think of something better to draw someone in.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Oni
    slinky6 said:
    Expensive shit that requires little skill but lots of time.

Totally untrue, spoken by someone who clearly has never done high-level dungeons. Go Ulduar if you don't know what you're doing and see what happens...
    lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lord_canti

personaly i think people hate on it because its old  looks bad  and you need to shell out  £14 a mounth  and you cant really get into it now  beacuse every one is in the lich king i think it looks ok but i cant get into it coz every ones at level 50 or what ever the level cap is

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jayge_

I hate WoW because its popularity has led the MMO industry to set out and try to create a WoW "killer" almost every time they start a project. WoW itself is not really what I want from an MMO, and its prevelance has done nothing good for me.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I hate the people playing WoW. Of course not everyone, but more specifically the assholes, people who grief and gank, ninja loots, stuff like that.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pause422
    Jayge_ said:
    I hate WoW because its popularity has led the MMO industry to set out and try to create a WoW ... [more]
    I think this says it pretty damn well actually. I did play WoW for a while too, so I don't literally hate it like its a completely terrible game that shouldn't exist or anything, but I just never considered it my type of mmo really at all...way too easygoing and everything, and when you don't get into it initially or if you get out of it first off, when you go back there's nothing for you to go until you'ere endgame again...so it feels like you throw away the subscription you would pay for it, to me anyway.

I have talked to people who have played it constantly though for years now, and they said at this point and time things are so incredibly bad for it, if you enjoyed ever doing PvP in the battlegrounds like I once did as the only real thing I ever liked in it much, you're pretty much screwed...and certain classes have talents that are just unreal and shouldn't exist with any proper kind of balance, but they do.
    Gary_Armstrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gary_Armstrong

I understand why WoW is popular, but personally I find it a very shallow and meaningless game. I also like MMO's to need interaction with the rest of the community. And strategy is often a key ingredient in RPG style play.

Co-operation is non existent,  classes are very unimaginative, and worst of all, the skill tree system locks players in to a set play style. Skil trees should not appear in an MMO. Lazy design and a method of making players purchase extra characters.

Finally (though I could rant about this for weeks), its just too ubiquitous. It's the Myspace of MMO gaming: Just because everyone does it, doesn't mean its good. Every future MMO will be adiluted WoW clone, and the genre will suffer from it.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lowbrow

Wow is fine, ask their 11 bazillion strong subscriber base.

People just like to whine about what is and what isn't EZ mode.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By EpicSteve

I got out of it due to lack of time to dedicate. By the time the level cap raised to 70, I was very tired of grinding Blizzard's repetative quests.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tekmojo

It's too casual, and I grew out of the cartoony visual style. Still a great game though, I've just moved on to bigger and more mature things. Sometimes the casual appeal attracts dumbasses.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

Because at heart it's click, watch numbers appear, repeat

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo

I liked it, but I don't play it anymore. The reason for that is because they destroyed the reason I love WoW, the lore. Plus, they cater way too much to casual people now. For people that haven't played it, as mentioned, I think they just like to be rebels. But if they had bothered to play the game when it first came out, they might have enjoyed it more. On top of that, other people are just douchebags and think that playing a specific game will remove their social life. Well all you need is commonsense to know that is not true.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422
    crunchUK said:
    Because at heart it's click, watch numbers appear, repeat
    as is every other MMO, and without the numbers Diablo...same with all JRPGs and action games without the numbers. Press button, damage occurs, repeat.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crunchUK
    pause422 said:
    crunchUK said: Because at heart it's click, watch numbers appear, repeat as is every other MMO, and without the numbers ... [more]
    Yep, and funnily enough i hate all MMOS, JRPGs, The vast majority of WRPGs, and like very few action games.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    Al3xand3r said:
    Why do we constantly get threads about why people hate or love popular game X nowadays? If you don't like ... [more]

JJWeatherman said:
    The people in this topic express why they don't play. [more]

The point was I both hate & Love World of Warcraft as i'm playing it. Also, this is a blog, not just a thread of 2 lines prompting for other peoples opinions. It's something I have actually thought about over a period of time and taken a lot of effort to write down cohesively. This is my blog and I can write want I want, I didn't order you to read it. I'm sorry if I have somehow violated a precious forum code, which I was unaware even existed, by writing about something you believe to be cliche'.

Actually no, I retract my apology. Fuck you.

=D
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rowr

WoW isnt far off mull for destroying peoples life motivations.

Rheinmetall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Rheinmetall

WoW has been for me the first and probably the last MMORG in my gaming carreer. I was crazy about it the first six or eight months, then my interest wore out. I renew my account once or twice a year, just for the old times sake, but I'm not seriously interested in it  anymore. I certainly don't hate it. On the contrary I appreciate it as very few games. Paying didn't bothered me a bit, because I think that for as long as I had fun with it, its price was fair. I had such a good time with WoW, that I think it's allmost priceless really.
    Why some people hate it? Perhaps some of them might like a more "serious" and less cartoonish style of playing, but on the other hand, this alone doesn't justify all this fierce critisicm against WoW. I think that it's probably the common fear, that many people feel towards something new and influential. They are afraid that WoW can suck their lives, and turn them to WoW-junkies or something similar. My answer to this is simple: Among gamers, only people who have generally a tendency to get addicted by something, will probably stick a lot with this game. I, for instance, am also addicted to smoking, and many other  not so accepted habbits/hobbies, surely I couldn't "miss" the WoW addiction. And between these "addicted" persons ("happy gamers" I would call them myself), only those who are mentally ill by their own, perhaps might have a serious problem with the game.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WoW is a great game, but God does it fuck your life up, I raided 4 nights a week in the Burning Crusade expansion and got through Black Temple and started Sunwell before I quit, and I agree that the grind sucks for anyone that does not already have a character, although it's now about 3 times as easy to get from 1 to 70 as it was when I did it back in Burning Crusade from xp-per level nerfs and quest xp buffs.

I tried starting WoW back about a month ago, and I hit 80, maybe it's because I'm not with my awesome guild anymore, but I just can't get into it again : /

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With that being said though, I'm very glad I played and the 350 or so dollars I spent on the game, expansion and monthly fee were well worth it, on my main character I had 100 days of game time ;o

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Because there are guilds out there and things you need to do to progress passed a certain point in the game that require more time than employed people or people in school have.

Raids and raid scheduling are such insane bullshit. That shouldn't be one of two methods of progression, the alternative being fighting people in closed-in matches. When a game forces the player to alter the scheduling of their real-life plans to play it, there's something seriously wrong. I remember on multiple occasions when I used to play that I would have to choose on certain days to either raid with the slight off-hand chance of progression or hang out with close friends. After smartening up and realizing that I had over 70 days /played on one character, I quit the shit out of WoW.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By subject2change
    Sticky_Pennies said:
    Because there are guilds out there and things you need to do to progress passed a certain point in the ... [more]

Maybe during the later content; 10 mans are completely possible with a small group of people. Pugs happen all the time and sure if you have a family or other obligations you shouldn't be devoting 40 hours a week to a video game. You can get off with only a few hours invested in the game; 3 hours a night for 2 nights is completely possibe you won't be in the end all guild but you wll see the content.

Why did I quit the game? Because 4 month wait from downing Illidan to the release of Sunwell was too much for me. Sold and made 1100 bucks off a hobby with tons of time invested. With the announcement of Wrath and 10mans; a buddy and I came up with the idea of a 10man guild; the idea to re-roll Horde and make a casual guild with friends and ex-guildies. Was good for a bit and then again Naxx to Ulduar was retardedly long wait. Gave up on that and just quit and got back into Console gaming and other PC games...
    Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Jensonb

My problem with WoW is much the same as yours, Sweep. It is simply not good value considering how much work it takes to get to the fun - and they're charging you for the privilege of working towards it too.

No thanks.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jeffsekai

Having played WoW for two years and then getting fed  up with it, all I can say is is that it is boring as fuck the only reason why i played for as long as I did was the people I was playing with --- Thats it.

Honestly I think deep down thats why alot of people still play WoW not because there having fun (hell most people constanly complain aobut WoW while they play ) but because of the people they play with and there need to have that sense of belonging to something, you take away the people and WoW is a decent  grind fest but a half assed story driven game.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By matthew

I don't hate the game perse, I just don't like the idea of MMO's to start with.  Being forced to pay to play online?  Having that gameplay mode be the only way to play the game?

I can kinda think of it as CoD4.  I've played that single player mode prolly two or three times.  I've spent just over 14 days playing online.  So to me, that is my MMO.  Playing the online component far moreso than the offline.  I paid for the map pack, so there's my fee there.  But I had the choice to pay for it or not.  I got it in Nov, 07 . . . 70$ in all.  So thats around 20 months.  So my MMO fee is 3.5$ per month :D
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By Willy105

It costs money to play.

That's all.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Sweep said:
    Al3xand3r said: Why do we constantly get threads about why people hate or love popular game X nowadays? If you ... [more]
    I don't understand what you wanted me to say. All I did was link to a topic I made a while back that I thought could shed some light on why some people hate this game.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PureRok

Warcraft I and II were great. III took the lore those two set and up more or less raped it's face, and then World of Warcraft came out and made sure that what was left of the lore from the first two was dead by taking it behind the shed and putting it down.

However, as a game I think it's fine.

When your new game comes out and you have to retcon more-or-less all of the lore from your first games then you have done something horribly wrong.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Oni

So many dumb arguments in these comments. Let's address some of the dumbest complaints/arguments I've read:

"You need to alter your real-life schedule to play." Yes, because you're playing with OTHER PEOPLE. If that concept doesn't appeal to you, what the fuck are you doing playing an MMO? Secondly, no, you don't, you can always PUG stuff, it's your choice.

"It takes no skill/strategy/teamplay". Flat-out wrong. I'd like to see you clear Malygos, Naxxramas, Ulduar, or really any raid without a boss tactic and some discussion on who does what, and when. Everyone needs to have their shit together in a Raid. Of course, if you didn't even GET to that part, you wouldn't know this. It would be fair to say that it doesn't take any real strategy to GET to that point, though.

"Requires a ton of time". Not true at all. Leveling speed has been increased severely from level 1-70, so yeah, it takes some time compared to offline games, but it's fast compared to other MMOs. Also, raid requirements have relaxed thusly that gearing up for them isn't a sheer wall to climb or a full-time job anymore. Getting entry-level epix that will suffice for pretty much all 10-man content is quite easy nowadays. Of course, the game ENCOURAGES you to spend a lot of time on it, with daily quests and whatnot, of course. But that's what keeps many people hooked.

That's all for now. Seriously people, try a little harder. You may not like it, it may not be for you, totally fine. Don't go making up dumb shit because WOW killed your dog, ruined your life and raped your mother.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK
    Oni said:
    So many dumb arguments in these comments. Let's address some of the dumbest complaints/arguments I've read:"You need to alter your ... [more]
    why are you such a boring and bitter person?
    djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By djstyles92

cause it wastes time, it consumes your life.  Its the only thing my brother does when he comes home from college and i hate it

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sweep  Moderator

see this is what i mean. WoW is like Marmite, You either love it or hate it. Sometimes at the same time.

It's also weird how people resent world of warcraft because of the effect it has on other people. I think that says a lot...

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jensonb
    @Oni: People are entitled to their own opinions dude, jeez.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Oni

@Jensonb: of course they are, but a lot of people said shit that's just flat-out untrue. Did you even read my post? You don't have to like WoW, duh, but don't make up dumb shit.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#43  Edited By ZombiePie
    @Sweep: Well I was going to make the same analogy using Branston Pickle but yours makes more sense...But I do hate Marmite, a food spread that taste like the moldy feet of old people just proves that the English were the last in trying to make food taste good.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    Oni said:
    So many fucking retards in these comments. Let's address some of the dumbest complaints/arguments I've ever read:"You need to alter ... [more]
    In my case, it was unmanageable. At the time I was a full-time college student, and my Burning Crusade character was well into Tier 5, and you don't Pug 25-man raids. Ever. It never works. That is, unless you're doing Tier 4 with a bunch of random Tier 6 people for example. That'd work, but it's not even fun at that point. And yeah, being with other people is great, unless you're in most end-game guilds which are filled with a bunch of humorless jerks that aren't even fun to be around like I was. I always prefer to be with my real-life friends.

What happened when I played was this, basically. No matter what guild I joined, they required members to raid, and if you didn't raid, you would be on the lowest priority to be let into them. Their schedules never matched my real-life plans, and when I did get to raid, I got jack shit thanks to DKP. It was a waste of time, aside from being fun the first time around. Then I tried doing arena with my real-life friends, which also didn't work, since mages (my class) at the time could be exhaled onto to kill them.

I play MMOs because I enjoy having fun with other people, and you do in WoW. But the moment you hit end-game raiding, it's fucking hard to enjoy the people you're around.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bigandtasty

I'm a former WoW player; liked it but started to think that the shortcomings were breaking even with the benefits. I like to think I'm pretty close to having a neutral opinion on WoW. 

On haters, I think a guy on a starcraft forum said it best when the topic came up:

"the only thing worse than hardcore world of warcraft players are people who have never played the game crusading against it"

If you played WoW for a while and thought it sucks, that's fine. If you had a family member or close friend ignore you because he was playing WoW all the time, you have a reason to be upset. But don't go making up statistics and accusations about the game's fanbase if you have never even touched it (or another big MMO), and you just want to feel superior to the WoW nerds (though sadly casual WoW players will beat the "I have a life so I'm still better than you" argument to death, while hardcores will beat the "my raid progression is superior to yours and so is my life" argument to death).

WoW will always be a love/hate relationship for its players though...something that big is bound to be a love/hate relationship.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#46  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Sweep: I enjoyed World of Warcraft during my brief few months as a subscriber, but I found the mission text to be very difficult to read comapred to Lord of the Rings Online.  Considering part of my enjoyment stems from reading every last little detail in their world-building, this ultimately became a deal breaker for me.  However, I think it's a fantastically crafted game for anyone who doesn't have vision problems like mine. 
    Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Blinck

People don't hate it, they just seem to envy it. At least that's what I think, when I ask why people don't like it ( even if they haven't played it) they always say something like "it's a shitty game with 11 million thousand morons playing it".
    They don't really know what to say, because they have never played it. It's a social thing, kind of a society taboo.
    I played it allot, ( I don't play anymore though) and it is an extremely well designed game, that is why it can be so addictive.
    Then, most people that quit always say something like "that game sucks BECAUSE it takes your life away". Seriously...what the hell? A game sucks because it is addictive? Where is the logic in that? If it can hook you up then it's because it is actually GOOD! If you play too much, or if you don't have the time to devote to that game, sorry but that is your problem, not the game.

Although I got tired of it, it is definitly a great game, and one of the best games I ever played!

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Oni
    Sticky_Pennies said:
    Oni said: So many fucking retards in these comments. Let's address some of the dumbest complaints/arguments I've ever read:"You need ... [more]
    It's definitely very situational. I am in a pretty great guild now, it's not too big (we only do guild runs of 10mans) and it's a very easygoing bunch, there's no DKP or anything, if you're in the raid and you need an item, just roll for it. And there's quite a bit of fun being had too, like the hunter driving his motorcycle (with passenger) into Ignis and then FDing, getting the byrider killed xD Good laughs were had.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @Sweep: I agree with your points, Sweep, and the amount of time it takes to truly progress and become adept at the game is staggering. I have played WoW for a few weeks two to three years back, and I really was turned off from the beginning. I appreciate the scope and breadth of the world; there is clearly a lot of effort in it and the players have added a lot to it in content and personality. Still, with its monthly fees and reliance on grinding, I find little to enjoy in WoW. I am just going to drop it, leaving others to play it because, the way I see it, I would rather play a bunch of tight, well-made games (anything from a short experience like Braid to an epic such as Fallout 3) than one game with a lot of dedication.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Oni

Hmmm, with hingsight, there was definitely too much vitriol in my first comment, and I apologize. Guess I should've taken a step back =\

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.