Developed by YUKE's Future Media Creators and published by THQ, WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2009 is a multi-platform professional wrestling game that was released on November 7th on the PlayStation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PSP. Two slightly different versions with different Story Modes were released on the Wii and DS. Like previous releases in the franchise, SvR 2009 puts players in the middle of professional wrestling rings, where players can beat each other down by taking control of prominent WWE professional wrestlers, including Matt and Jeff Hardy, Randy Orton, Mr. Kennedy, The Undertaker, and others.
Unlike previous games, SvR 2009 includes a feature allowing players to create custom finisher moves, providing over 500 animations with which users can generate their own content. Custom soundtracks are also supported, as well as an enhanced tag team mode, including hot tags, double team moves, and double team finishers (although these are not usable in online mutliplayer). Additionally, the Wii version of the game features interactive entrance and exit victory animations, while the PlayStation 3 version includes voice-chat functionality.
It is also the first game in the franchise
to allow downloadable content
, such as additional rosters, music, entrances and arenas. THQ, in partnership with WWE, also held certain events to coincide with the show's events and stories.
Road to WrestleMania
Replacing previous years' season modes, Road to WrestleMania focuses on six individual storylines as selected superstars make their way to WWE's highlight annual show: WrestleMania. Players can play through unique storylines using Triple H
, John Cena
, The Undertaker, CM Punk
, Chris Jericho
, or Rey Mysterio
as a tag team. A co-operative season mode is also available for the tag team.
Changes from Previous Versions
- Like previous years titles the game contains significant updates to one particular aspect. In SvR 2009 the tag-team type game play is improved, boasting new moves, new animations, as well as actions you can do with your tag-team partner.
- This is the first game to include the Inferno Match type available for play. Like 2008's inclusion of ECW extreme rules matches, this is yet another match added to the existing list of match types. Inferno mode replaces 2008's Buried Alive match type.
- The newly introduced Create-A-Finisher gives the player a highly customizable variety of finishing move animations.
- A new Road to Wrestlemania mode (see above).
- The game introduces a Career Mode. Players can control a self-created or pre-created wrestler or diva and play through all of the WWE Championships. The ultimate goal is to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
- The game replaces the Superstar's main ability for the previous years game and splits it up into six different Superstar abilities.
- Downloadable content is available (see overview).
- The newly introduced "Hot Tag" feature allows players to replicate Tag Team matches from the TV show with the momentum system. Players build up the crowd's support and take over the match as shown in the show.
- There are a number of minor gameplay tweaks, such as the ability to "guard" when standing up or the ability for a player to store Signature Moves if they run out of momentum for a Finisher.
The PlayStation Network will be received DLC available for $4.99. The DLC will include Evan Bourne, Ted DiBiase & Charlie Haas (playable Superstars); Kelly Kelly and Maria (holiday costumes); Kane (masked); as well as new ring gear for Chris Jericho, MVP and Edge. Future content is planned for PlayStation Network, as well as the first content that is on Xbox LIVE Marketplace.Xbox LIVE Marketplace
DLC is now available for the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. The DLC roster update features playable Superstars Evan Bourne, Ted Dibiase, Charlie Haas and Super Crazy. There is also alternate attire for Chris Jericho. This DLC costs 320 Microsoft Points and is a 489 MB download.Roster Update 2
A second DLC pack was released for both the Xbox Live Marketplace and Playstation Network, 400 Microsoft Points and $4.99 respectively. This pack included classic WWE Superstars like Vader, Doink the Clown, Earthquake, Bushwhacker Butch and Bushwhacker Luke. A free update was also released so that players without the DLC could fight players who had bought it. Whoever applied this update also recieved the Superstar, Vader, for free.
Xbox 360 Game Installation
WWE Smackdown! VS Raw 2009 requires 6.6GB of space to install on an Xbox 360 HDD.