Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X-COM: UFO Defense

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released March 1994

X-COM: UFO Defense is a genre-defining strategy game released in 1994 combining both strategic and tactical gameplay.

Best PC Game of all time

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By demonbear

I cannot count the number of hours that i've spent on this game on various stages of my life. This game is awesome.

And the fun part is that, even though the visuals got old, the gameplay is still perfectly balanced, the tone is still engaging and the depth of the game is still enjoyable.

These are signs of Great Games my friend, and this one is, for me, the Greatest PC Game of All-Time.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

can't quite say the same about it being one of the best of all time, but I definitely did enjoy me some X-COM back in the day, it was a lot of fun. Its nice that they're releasing the games on Steam now.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By demonbear

Yeah i bought that one last nite, brought back lots of memories and I intend to play through again quite soon.

I really hope the rumors are true and that 2K Boston is doing a new X-Com, i'd be awesome.
    I wonder how much of the original game would go in it though. If 2K Boston is doing it, they'll clearly go Multiplatform with this so will it be a turnbased strat game? Or will they go towards a more action based game?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

Could change quite a lot since it most likely will be multiplatform, in this day and age I'm not sure if they would stick to the same gameplay or not..if so it would still be the best to pick it up on PC I would say.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By demonbear

Well, a turn based game can easily be ported to consoles, but it's certainly not getting the same crowds that an action game will get you. Also, 2K Boston did the Freedom Force games a couple of years ago and those were not turn based but Action strategy.

Hmmm in fact this might be a nice solution. You can do a Freedom force type of combat, which is more "actionny" than your regular turn based game but you can still pause and think about the overall battle.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Pibo47

This is the greatest game of all time....not inculding the half-life series of course.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By demonbear

The greatest game that's not a kickass shooter then! :D

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I agree man this game is awesome, I'd love to see an exact remake of this, just remake the graphics in sprite form, change nothing about the gameplay, maybe improve the interface a little, make it a little more user friendly make it compatible with modern OS's and that would be GOTY, easy right.

Thats pretty unlikely but to show you how much I love this game Ive bought it roughly 5 times now altogether, I've never once finished it lol.  Might have to get down to that at some point :S
    OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By OGCartman

Sounds great!!
    I'll be sure to try it out (might of already, but not enough to recognize)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

Why is a Tie Fighter thread in the X-Com section?

ShadowMarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By ShadowMarth

My favorite game of all time, bar none. 

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Teran

I agree though with one condition...  X-COM: UFO Defense and X-COM: Terror from the Deep get to wear this mantle. 

I'm sure I'll be preaching to the choir given the fact that I'm posting here. 

UFO Defense was and still is one of the greatest games ever created.  They went beyond turn based strategy and basically created one of the first strategy rpgs... yeah that's right, I'm calling this game an rpg.  You had soldiers with stats who you could hire and fire but more importantly these soldiers could effectively improve in such a way that they were leveling up but rather than simplifying the system into a literal level they allowed a soldiers stats to increase through use and survival.  This system was so well balanced to this day I still haven't seen it replicated... granted I haven't played every game to come out since then. 

The reason why I feel TFTD deserves the "Best game ever" mantle along with UFO Defense is that they went in and remade the original game but went out of their way to make it more challenging.  I remember hating TFTD early on because of how crushingly difficult the terror missions were at times.  On my first ship based terror mission I remember fighting room by room across three or four levels of a cruise ship and reaching the end low on ammo with a good chunk of my squad dead, thankful it was over... only to discover that once you were done with the decks, four more levels in the belly of the ship had to be cleared too. 

These two games together represent the epitome of turn based strategy and quality games in general.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.