Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X-COM: UFO Defense

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released March 1994

X-COM: UFO Defense is a genre-defining strategy game released in 1994 combining both strategic and tactical gameplay.

I Play Old Games: X-COM UFO Defense

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Edited By ArbitraryWater

Aliens. Spaceships. Stuff like that.
    If I was writing a 5 paragraph essay, then this part would be the attention getter. I would probably say something provocative right now like "I don't care about Red Dead Redemption, or really anything that Rockstar makes." or "Deus Ex doesn't give a very good first impression" But I'm not. Instead I'm writing a stupid blog type thing about Video Games. This week, one of the most seminal and revered PC games ever released: X-COM. Does it hold up? Did I like it? If you have been reading my status from time to time, you would already know the answer.

And that answer is "Hell yes". For those who are unenlightened, X-COM is a game with some management elements on top of tactical turn-based Strategy. Really, if you want a full on summary of what the game is, you can find more eloquent descriptions on the internets than I could possibly type out. All you need to know is that it was the first game I bought with my steam account, which along with plenty of  other old games make excellent blog material. Oh, and I bought Civilization III for a dollar. Even though I don't particularly like Civ. Which makes me almost as bad as Giant Bomb's own Vinny Caravella, except I actually played it for 90 minutes before I decided "yep. It's Civ. I think I will stick to Galactic Civilizations 2 for my obsessive micromanagement needs" 

So onto the gameplay. Thankfully, the learning curve for X-COM only took me a few (several) hours to not throw my dudes into the endless pit of misery and despair by having them die over and over again. Frankly, the beginning of UFO Defense is pretty rough. All of your weapons suck, your guys have trouble hitting the enemy, and everyone crumples in one hit, no exceptions. This "shoot first or die" mentality is what distinguishes it for me from say... Jagged Alliance, which is basically a game of inaccurate potshot tag which I despise so very much. No matter what though, losing 2 or 3 dudes per battle in the early game is commonplace until you research armor, when your guys crumple in one hit only 75% of the time! Then power armor lowers that to a mere 40%. I actually like it though. It's very... strategic, if also occasionally forcing me to reload a save. In any case, the gameplay works well and is generally awesome.

Once I overcame the learning curve and started researching better weapons (i.e. Laser Rifles), the difficulty became much more manageable (but still fairly tough) even though certain enemies are pretty much the worst thing ever. Basically, Enemy Mind Controllers are stupid cheap until you start researching psionics yourself, which I was lucky enough to obtain fairly early on in the game through the capture of an alien leader... but one thing that will never stop being cheap is the enemies that will turn your guys into zombies with only one hit, killing them instantly. That is pretty much the biggest gripe I have, since they also have a ton of movement.

The management end gives, at the very least, a good facade that you are in charge of a multinational alien stomping organization, although where I am now money has stopped being an issue, and therefore any need for me to try to balance my budget is less than necessary. If I have any gripe here, it's that there are occasional long stretches of nothing, but that's not very often. 

Then what do I not like about X-COM, if anything? I think that the weapon balance is fairly off kilter, being that anything without an auto shot is inferior to anything with one, which is why you will never, ever, ever, ever use the heavy laser or the pistol (which leads to the problem of me only using auto shot because it's always the best choice). Frankly, everyone in my squad uses heavy plasma at this point, being that all the enemies use it anyways so ammo is plentiful, along with a stun bomb and the blaster launcher, which is one of the single best weapons ever in any strategy game. 

In conclusion, X-COM is rad. No, seriously. I recommend it to anyone with a taste for strategy games. I should admit here that I haven't yet invaded the alien base on mars and beaten the game, but unless it's radically different in the endgame, I feel comfortable blogging about it. 23 hours seems enough, don't you think? I will probably also get Terror from the Deep when I'm done with this, even though it's more of an expansion than an actual new game. To those in the know, what about Apocalypse? I hear it's crap, but I'd rather hear it personally. As a reward for reading this block of text, have some videos recorded by yours truly of a terror mission, which are the hardest mission types in the game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If I was writing a 5 paragraph essay, then this part would be the attention getter. I would probably say something provocative right now like "I don't care about Red Dead Redemption, or really anything that Rockstar makes." or "Deus Ex doesn't give a very good first impression" But I'm not. Instead I'm writing a stupid blog type thing about Video Games. This week, one of the most seminal and revered PC games ever released: X-COM. Does it hold up? Did I like it? If you have been reading my status from time to time, you would already know the answer.

And that answer is "Hell yes". For those who are unenlightened, X-COM is a game with some management elements on top of tactical turn-based Strategy. Really, if you want a full on summary of what the game is, you can find more eloquent descriptions on the internets than I could possibly type out. All you need to know is that it was the first game I bought with my steam account, which along with plenty of  other old games make excellent blog material. Oh, and I bought Civilization III for a dollar. Even though I don't particularly like Civ. Which makes me almost as bad as Giant Bomb's own Vinny Caravella, except I actually played it for 90 minutes before I decided "yep. It's Civ. I think I will stick to Galactic Civilizations 2 for my obsessive micromanagement needs" 

So onto the gameplay. Thankfully, the learning curve for X-COM only took me a few (several) hours to not throw my dudes into the endless pit of misery and despair by having them die over and over again. Frankly, the beginning of UFO Defense is pretty rough. All of your weapons suck, your guys have trouble hitting the enemy, and everyone crumples in one hit, no exceptions. This "shoot first or die" mentality is what distinguishes it for me from say... Jagged Alliance, which is basically a game of inaccurate potshot tag which I despise so very much. No matter what though, losing 2 or 3 dudes per battle in the early game is commonplace until you research armor, when your guys crumple in one hit only 75% of the time! Then power armor lowers that to a mere 40%. I actually like it though. It's very... strategic, if also occasionally forcing me to reload a save. In any case, the gameplay works well and is generally awesome.

Once I overcame the learning curve and started researching better weapons (i.e. Laser Rifles), the difficulty became much more manageable (but still fairly tough) even though certain enemies are pretty much the worst thing ever. Basically, Enemy Mind Controllers are stupid cheap until you start researching psionics yourself, which I was lucky enough to obtain fairly early on in the game through the capture of an alien leader... but one thing that will never stop being cheap is the enemies that will turn your guys into zombies with only one hit, killing them instantly. That is pretty much the biggest gripe I have, since they also have a ton of movement.

The management end gives, at the very least, a good facade that you are in charge of a multinational alien stomping organization, although where I am now money has stopped being an issue, and therefore any need for me to try to balance my budget is less than necessary. If I have any gripe here, it's that there are occasional long stretches of nothing, but that's not very often. 

Then what do I not like about X-COM, if anything? I think that the weapon balance is fairly off kilter, being that anything without an auto shot is inferior to anything with one, which is why you will never, ever, ever, ever use the heavy laser or the pistol (which leads to the problem of me only using auto shot because it's always the best choice). Frankly, everyone in my squad uses heavy plasma at this point, being that all the enemies use it anyways so ammo is plentiful, along with a stun bomb and the blaster launcher, which is one of the single best weapons ever in any strategy game. 

In conclusion, X-COM is rad. No, seriously. I recommend it to anyone with a taste for strategy games. I should admit here that I haven't yet invaded the alien base on mars and beaten the game, but unless it's radically different in the endgame, I feel comfortable blogging about it. 23 hours seems enough, don't you think? I will probably also get Terror from the Deep when I'm done with this, even though it's more of an expansion than an actual new game. To those in the know, what about Apocalypse? I hear it's crap, but I'd rather hear it personally. As a reward for reading this block of text, have some videos recorded by yours truly of a terror mission, which are the hardest mission types in the game.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WickedFather

This game is superb.  I've played all of the Gollop stuff since the Spectrum.  Me and my mate played Rebelstar II all the time.  You can do it on an emulator and send each other the save files by email and it's almost like some new version of chess by mail (chess is shit, get over it).

I got to the alien base in the underwater version and a bug fucked it all up.  I got a patch and my save game wasn't valid any more - baaaastaaaaaad!!!

So yeah, XCom is pure good.  All the research stuff is just wow, too and just adds to the atmosphere like you wouldn't believe.  Sound effects: creepy as shit at night.  Love it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Does "Fire Emblem" count as an interest in strategy games? What about trying out StarCraft for a bit before realizing that everything about emulating the N64 version is ridiculously wrong?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Does "Fire Emblem" count as an interest in strategy games? What about trying out StarCraft for a bit before realizing that everything about emulating the N64 version is ridiculously wrong? "
    Yeah, I think you could develop a like for X-COM. Your dudes stats even improve with the more aliens they systematically murder! Just don't expect it to be FE4's second generation/w good pairings in terms of difficulty. It's pretty raw at times, though never unmanageable, as you can see in the videos.  As for Starcraft. No. Just no. Play the goddamn PC version.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @ArbitraryWater: 

So it's gonna be like Thracia 776 if I love spamming the kickass units?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @ArbitraryWater:   So it's gonna be like Thracia 776 if I love spamming the kickass units? "
    The thing is, Fire Emblem is all about unit preservation. In X-COM everyone is disposable, at least until they have super-expensive flying armor and an 80 marksmanship rating. Then you should probably reload. I really don't know how to compare it to FE, because they are two totally different sides of the same genre. Once you get over the learning curve and the initial difficulty hump, it's only really hard when you are doing a terror mission, attacking a base, or getting your base attacked by vengeful aliens. But this is on beginner difficulty, so I assume it's much rougher on say... Superhuman.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @ArbitraryWater: 

Is there a Normal difficulty, or did all those people who yelled at me for playing on it in Halo 3 yell at the X-COM guys for even hinting at including it in their game, forcing them to get rid of it :P?

Also, it occurred to me that there is something of a middle man for these two series: Warsong, since it's like Fire Emblem on a Napoleonic scale. Would that be a good analogy for X-COM, or is it still too Fire Emblem?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Video_Game_King: The 5 difficulty levels are: Beginner, Experienced, Veteran, Genius and Superhuman. I'm going to guess that beginner is normal difficulty.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Damn it. This game is probably gonna make me look like a pussy, and I spent a lot of time on Romancing SaGa 2 to prove how not a pussy I am!

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#10  Edited By ahoodedfigure

One of my favorites, even with my gripes about the one-click-permanent-mistake, the atrocious inventory, and the cheap psionics.  It's still fun as hell, and the high death rate just makes missions all the more tense.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " One of my favorites, even with my gripes about the one-click-permanent-mistake, the atrocious inventory, and the cheap psionics.  It's still fun as hell, and the high death rate just makes missions all the more tense. "
    Yep. I agree on all of those (especially the retarded inventory management that takes 2 minutes longer than it should). Watching a video of some guy beat the final level in one turn through Mind Control abuse kind of assures me that I will be able to do something similar after a few months of psionic training my team. Should be interesting...
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Part of the crazy of that inventory system is that, at least in all the versions I've played, armed proximity grenades remain armed in later stages (until they blow up), and you get the weirdest automatic configurations that pile on the ammunition until you get an overloaded trooper.  

While I sometimes find uses for sniper troops that do higher damage in a single, well-aimed shot, in general it's hard to argue against the auto-fire approach, especially at close range.  Once I get laser tech I basically dump everything I have until I can start bulking up on plasma weaponry.  After that you're pretty much even with them as far as firepower, minus the psionic shizznazz.  

'Splody things are justifiably dangerous, which makes them fun, and even that blaster launcher isn't fool proof, making for some tense moments where you hope that evil football doesn't ignore one of your complex directions and come zipping toward your group.  I like the stunner, but I find that I still use the stun rods even after I get the stunner, as it seems like they're easy to port for each character rather than a full stunner and ammunition, but I'm not sure about that.

I sort of wish there were more reasons to use different weapons, and a cut and paste option for equipping would reduce hand cramping, I think.  There are tons of little improvements that could be made, which is why it's maddening that they never just did THAT instead of trying to turn it into a franchise, first with a clone (2) and then with stuff that drifted far away from the formula.  3 seems OK, but it loses a bit just by virtue of you being stuck in a single city, I think.

What would have been cool to me would have been if 2 was basically earth colonizing mars.  They terraform it, dump water on it via comets, and then the water begins unearthing ancient terrors.  This would explain why you have to start all over again, because you're basically running a colony on another planet, months away from help from Earth. Just that one tonal shift would have been sufficient for me to enjoy it a lot more.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ahoodedfigure:  Terror from the Deep seems decent so far, even though it's only a few steps away from being just a graphical reskin. So far I have noticed that the maps are much bigger and less... house infested, you have to loot items off your dead squaddies if you want to keep them, and the battlescape music is somehow even more ominous than UFO Defense's. Also, apparently there are melee weapons, which seems like a bad idea and you have to do a lot more alien capturing if you want to research everything.  In any case, I probably won't get seriously invested in it until I beat UFO Defense first.... and I'm not going to be able to beat UFO Defense until after I get back from my summer trip... so it's going to be a while.  

In any case, naming squad members after real life friends and enemies is always worth it, especially when someone that you dislike gets a bolt of plasma to the face.
    Danial79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Danial79

I was playing this game, and contributing in a community that was deconstructing the files, as recently as 2007. I love it! One of my all-time favs :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.