Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X-COM: UFO Defense

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released March 1994

X-COM: UFO Defense is a genre-defining strategy game released in 1994 combining both strategic and tactical gameplay.

The manual for this game is epic long.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

So I bought the X-Com pack on Steam this weekend, but I couldn't really get a hang of the gameplay so I had to look for a manual. Since Steam didn't have one, I looked on the internet and found a pdf of the original. It is FREAKING HUGE. The game's from back in 1993, and the manual back then is a monster compared to our flimsy 10-pagers today. It's 137 pages, and almost acts like a strategy guide. Take a look for yourself if you're interested.

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1manual.pdf

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Omg, some dictionaries aren't that thick ><. I guess me thinking 137 is huge shows my age (or lack thereof).

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane

A lot of older games have really big manuals.  Those two that I previously mentioned I still have the manuals to, so I only know those two at the moment.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate

I hate how thin manuals are, i love to read them :) nothing beats the excitement of cracking open a new game and seeing a big ass manual you get to read :D

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

I remember when I got Pokemon Red, I thought that manual was huge.  Also makes me laugh @ SimCity2000.  You can read that or a Harry Potter book, same number of pages.

ShadowMarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ShadowMarth

Man I wish manuals came back. I'd like at least a good 100 page manual with strategy games. Civ IVs manual was a pretty good size. A small but thick little manual explaining everything necessary and a GIANT FUCKING WALL-SIZE TECH TREE poster. 

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#8  Edited By strangeling
    Pharaoh is another game with a crazy thick manual.

I don't mind non-thick manuals.  I just wish they'd have more artwork in them.

Also... Steam does have the manual.  It's the link down the right side of the game page that says "view the manual."  It's best to right-click & save link as.
    (Oh, but maybe it wasn't there a month and a half ago?)
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
    strangeling said:
    "Also... Steam does have the manual.  It's the link down the right side of the game page that says "view the manual."  It's best to right-click & save link as.
    (Oh, but maybe it wasn't there a month and a half ago?)"
    Wow. So that's the manual, eh? Pretty big. I like the part where it recommends that you don't try to run the game under Windows. :D
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Teran

I agree with the sentiment most of you have posted in this thread... I laughed when I saw that the "future" world the X-com universe took place in 1998... though the biggest laugh came when  I saw the memory requirement was one and a half megabytes.  We've come so far since then with our hardware yet attempts to recreate X-Com have all met with miserable failure.  Some of the games released weren't bad but none even close to this good.  I'd be happy if someone even just released a mod that let you run the game in higher resolutions... some day.

I figured I'd add a little something to the discussion too to get this post back on topic.

Manuals back then often served a dual purpose.  First to inform users about the game and second to act as DRM.  In the X-Com manual, starting on page 19 you see two sets of numbers formatted XXXX-XXXX in the bottom left of every odd numbered page.  Every time you started up X-Com (the original boxed retail version) a screen would pop up prompting you for the numbers on a random page numbers.  This worked surprisingly well given that the pdf format was also invented in 1993 and 200 page pdf files were a bit bigger than a lot of people could fit on their hard drive much less download with their 28K modems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.