Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released May 01, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a game based upon the movie of the same name that tells the early story of Wolverine.

Wolverine Movie Going Back For "Extensive" Re-Shoots

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187
    http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp/aid/10508/tcid/1
    Apparently, Fox realized that it fucked up with the X-Men Origins: Wolverine flick, so they are going back for some hardcore re-shoots and allowing journalists to come along and show that Fox is trying to right its wrongs.

Whenever I saw the trailer for this before The Day The Earth Stood Still, I already wasn't interested.  After finishing the trailer, I was less interested than before.  Personally, I hate Wolverine, but even then, he's got a pretty cool mythos behind him.  The fact that the trailer to this movie dashed all hopes of that basically made me cringe in my seat.

How about you guys?  Looking forward to the flick?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fr0br0

I think they are going to re-shoot so Gambit is fucking awesome in every scene of the movie. I mean, that's the only logical thing they could do to make this movie good.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

It has gambit and deadpool

im kinda sold 
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheFreeMan

The other trailer (that got leaked before it was supposed to) was better if I recall correctly.

Still, I'm looking forward to the movie. Wolverine is one of my favourite comic characters, and I liked (two of) the X-Men flicks. The fact that they're doing reshoots gives me hope that they actually care about how it'll turn out.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

uh..no.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
    TheFreeMan said:
    "The fact that they're doing reshoots gives me hope that they actually care about how it'll turn out."
    The fact that they are doing reshoots shows how much of a shit year they had for films, and they don't want any backlash against a popular franchise...nor to lose the X-Men license.  If you looked at the article, then you know what I mean.  If not, here's a list of films that Fox put out in 2008:

27 Dresses
    Meet The Spartans
    Jumper
    Nim's Island
    What Happens in Vegas
    Deception
    The Happening
    Meet Dave
    Space Chimps
    The X-Files: I Want to Believe
    Babylon A.D.
    City of Ember
    Max Payne
    Australia
    The Day The Earth Stood Still
    Marley & Me

Out of all those films...how many were actually good?  By good, I mean how many actually pulled a good box office and wasn't a flop?  Marley & Me was the only one on the list that proved to bring in any dough, but the majority of these were supposed to be huge.  If The X-Files movie can't even pull in a good number, then man...there's some problems.

Therefore, there is a LOT riding on Wolverine being a good movie.  Moreover, you don't want to piss off the Wolverine diehards.  That would be like fucking up Watchmen.

As for the whole "Gambit and Deadpool" thing:  Deadpool don't have his get-up, which pisses me off...but hopefully, Ryan Reynolds will be just the right amount of smartass and badass for the character.  If his role in Blade: Trinity was any indication, then yes...he's perfect for Deadpool.  Gambit, on the other hand...I am THOROUGHLY worried about.  A lot of people in the comic community already hate Gambit (as he's essentially the same personality as Wolverine with brighter colors and kinetic energy), but if they can't make him hold up to par...or even give him the proper level of interaction with Wolverine (as they had in the comics), then it could very well be game over.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By suneku

I'm going to watch it. I've seen tons of crappy comic movies before and at least this won't be as bad. The X-Men trilogy was decent, considering it was before Marvel started producing their own movies, so I see this being decent at least.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By PureRok

Wow, I'm really interested in the movie after watching that.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheFreeMan
    jakob187 said:
    "TheFreeMan said:
    "The fact that they're doing reshoots gives me hope that they actually care about how it'll turn out."
    The fact that they are doing reshoots shows how much of a shit year they had for films, and they don't want any backlash against a popular franchise...nor to lose the X-Men license.  If you looked at the article, then you know what I mean.  If not, here's a list of films that Fox put out in 2008:

27 Dresses
    Meet The Spartans
    Jumper
    Nim's Island
    What Happens in Vegas
    Deception
    The Happening
    Meet Dave
    Space Chimps
    The X-Files: I Want to Believe
    Babylon A.D.
    City of Ember
    Max Payne
    Australia
    The Day The Earth Stood Still
    Marley & Me

Out of all those films...how many were actually good?  By good, I mean how many actually pulled a good box office and wasn't a flop?  Marley & Me was the only one on the list that proved to bring in any dough, but the majority of these were supposed to be huge.  If The X-Files movie can't even pull in a good number, then man...there's some problems.

Therefore, there is a LOT riding on Wolverine being a good movie.  Moreover, you don't want to piss off the Wolverine diehards.  That would be like fucking up Watchmen."
    I had no idea that Fox had put out that much crap last year. I'm actually a little surprised that they've managed to keep going now that I've seen that list. I mean....jesus.....Space Chimps? The Happening? Australia and Marley & Me but be the only things keeping them afloat.

I see your point.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
    TheFreeMan said:
    "I had no idea that Fox had put out that much crap last year. I'm actually a little surprised that they've managed to keep going now that I've seen that list. I mean....jesus.....Space Chimps? The Happening? Australia and Marley & Me but be the only things keeping them afloat.

I see your point."
    Australia tanked hard, sir.  That movie was sloppier than a $2.00 hooker on discount.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan
    jakob187 said:
    "Australia tanked hard, sir."
    Damn it. I had hopes for that movie.

jakob187 said:
    "That movie was sloppier than a $2.00 hooker on discount."
    ZING!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

I thought it looked OK in the trailer, but i'm unsure about these reshoots. It could mean they've just realised it's bad, but seeing as that's never happened before, I have a horrible feeling it's for something stupid like to make it more family friendly then have an uncut DVD out at a later date or something.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    HandsomeDead said:
    "I thought it looked OK in the trailer, but i'm unsure about these reshoots. It could mean they've just realised it's bad, but seeing as that's never happened before, I have a horrible feeling it's for something stupid like to make it more family friendly then have an uncut DVD out at a later date or something."
    ...did you read the article?  Mainly, it seems that Fox interfered far too much on the film and made it more towards the "PG" side of the PG-13 than the "13" of it.  My assumption would be that they saw how bad last year's lineup did with their interference, they realized they might want to let Gavin Hood do what he wanted in the first place.  I won't be surprised if they end up pushing their release date back, but if the scenes they are shooting are low on special effects, then it should be alright...I would think, at least.

Nonetheless, they need to just can what they have and redo it completely.  The fact that they even showed Wolverine in the Civil War and World War II should be enough to make people who know NOTHING about Wolverine go "WTF?!" and really confuse them about what they know.
    Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Maru

It would be awsome if this movie was rated R... flying heads and limbs.  I didn't really enjoy X-Men movies anyways.. hated the fact Magneto was scrawny old man.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By suneku
    jakob187 said:
    "Nonetheless, they need to just can what they have and redo it completely.  The fact that they even showed Wolverine in the Civil War and World War II should be enough to make people who know NOTHING about Wolverine go "WTF?!" and really confuse them about what they know."
    Why? He was really in WW2. And even if people who know nothing about Wolverine see it, it's an ORIGIN movie, which means it has to explain his origins. Even so, if they've at least seen the first X-Men movie, they did mention that he could be older then Professor X.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead
    jakob187 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "I thought it looked OK in the trailer, but i'm unsure about these reshoots. It could mean they've just realised it's bad, but seeing as that's never happened before, I have a horrible feeling it's for something stupid like to make it more family friendly then have an uncut DVD out at a later date or something."
    ...did you read the article?  Mainly, it seems that Fox interfered far too much on the film and made it more towards the "PG" side of the PG-13 than the "13" of it.  My assumption would be that they saw how bad last year's lineup did with their interference, they realized they might want to let Gavin Hood do what he wanted in the first place.  I won't be surprised if they end up pushing their release date back, but if the scenes they are shooting are low on special effects, then it should be alright...I would think, at least.

Nonetheless, they need to just can what they have and redo it completely.  The fact that they even showed Wolverine in the Civil War and World War II should be enough to make people who know NOTHING about Wolverine go "WTF?!" and really confuse them about what they know.
    "
    I never, for some reason it took forever to load then 404'd so I just skipped it and now feel like I have missed the whole point. But if what you're saying is what they are doing, that can surely only be a good thing.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Systech

Yeah, I saw the trailer and thought it looked like shit. It appears that Fox is using the money that they're going to get from Watchmen.

Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rivix

I hate to say this, but GOOD. 

Why? Because Star Trek comes out a week after. This would mean more people would go see it. :D

PS. I love Gambit, but I don't like they way he looks or feels. 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Rivix said:
    "I hate to say this, but GOOD. 
    Why? Because Star Trek comes out a week after. This would mean more people would go see it. :D
    "
    yeah, and Star Trek is guaranteed quality no doubt (thank god because im a fan of the series, big time but no trekkie thats for sure). the series needed a new jolt of energy, new creative minds, and a big budget with a director and producers who know how to use it. and it also has a fantastic cast. 
    so seriously, if the wolverine movie did better box office numbers than this new star trek movie, i'd be seriously disappointed with people. the movie is going to rock. as long as its nerdy enough to please the fans, it will be far better received than the star wars prequels. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
    suneku said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Nonetheless, they need to just can what they have and redo it completely.  The fact that they even showed Wolverine in the Civil War and World War II should be enough to make people who know NOTHING about Wolverine go "WTF?!" and really confuse them about what they know."
    Why? He was really in WW2. And even if people who know nothing about Wolverine see it, it's an ORIGIN movie, which means it has to explain his origins. Even so, if they've at least seen the first X-Men movie, they did mention that he could be older then Professor X."
    I feel like people don't even need to see the movie at this point to know his origins.  All you have to do is watch that trailer.  It's a bummer.  That's more along the lines of what I meant with that comment, suneku.

And HandsomeDead, I'm sure that re-shoots COULD be a good thing...but then again, I look at movies that have had to do re-shoots...specifically The Invasion.  =  /  Did you see The Invasion?  If not, you are privileged.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Illmatic

I've always liked Gambit more than Wolverine (this is coming from someone who owns a grand total of 2 comic books though) and I was surprisingly underwhelmed by his appearance in the trailer.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
    Rivix said:
    "Because Star Trek comes out a week after. This would mean more people would go see it. :D"
    Man, that Star Trek movie looks like a serious trainwreck waiting to happen for Trekkies.  *ugh*  I'm by no means a fan of Star Trek, but I've seen all the movies and watched a lot of Next Gen and Enterprise.  Needless to say, this looks like a clusterfuck of a movie.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By suneku
    jakob187 said:
    "I feel like people don't even need to see the movie at this point to know his origins.  All you have to do is watch that trailer.  It's a bummer.  That's more along the lines of what I meant with that comment, suneku."
    I can agree with that. The trailer is pretty straight forward. And seeing as how they didn't reveal his origins for a majority of his comic life, added on that they have to tie it in to the X-men movies, they aren't going to do it right anyways.

I don't really have high hopes for comic movies anymore. As long as they toss some easter eggs in there for me to giggle like a little girl, I'm happy. Like Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool in this movie (which I've thought he was the perfect actor to play this character). What would've really made me happy is if they had Wolverine fighting alongside Captain America in WW2, like in the comics. Not to mention the upcoming Cap movie is going to be set in WW2. It would've been the perfect chance to tie in those 2 franchises like Marvel's been doing recently, but unfortunately, those bastards at Fox has the rights to X-Men movies.
    Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rivix
    jakob187 said:
    "Rivix said:
    "Because Star Trek comes out a week after. This would mean more people would go see it. :D"
    Man, that Star Trek movie looks like a serious trainwreck waiting to happen for Trekkies.  *ugh*  I'm by no means a fan of Star Trek, but I've seen all the movies and watched a lot of Next Gen and Enterprise.  Needless to say, this looks like a clusterfuck of a movie."
    I agree, this movie will be very different from the TV shows, but in order for Star Trek to continue it has to make money. LOTS of money in the box-office or Paramount will end it. Star Trek has to change some to appeal to today's box office. 
    But I don't think its a clusterfuck.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
    Rivix said:
    "I agree, this movie will be very different from the TV shows, but in order for Star Trek to continue it has to make money. LOTS of money in the box-office or Paramount will end it. Star Trek has to change some to appeal to today's box office. 
    But I don't think its a clusterfuck.
    "
    I understand the need to make money...but at the same time...look at Lord of the Rings.  Look at 300.  Look at The Dark Knight.  All three of those films were able to hold onto a great part of their source material without going seven million light years away from it.  Meanwhile...look at the trailer alone for Star Trek.  I'm just not sold on it.  Maybe that's just me, but frankly, it seems like J.J. Abrams said "oh, there are fans of this franchise?  BAH!".  In one of our episodes of Chess Club Massacre, we actually discussed the trailer when we first finally saw it, and I think that poofox explained it best:
    "Since when the fuck did James T. Kirk turn into James fucking Dean?"

I mean, I understand that he was raised in Iowa and all that, so the beginning part of the trailer is understandable.  However, his portrayal just feels...wrong...in the trailer.  Granted, I can't really judge until the movie comes out.  I'm satisfied with some of the casting though, especially with Zachary Quinto, John Cho, and Simon Pegg.

Let's face it:  as long as they show the Kobayashi Maru situation, I'll be happier than a pig in shit.
    Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shazam

Hmm, I'm not really convinced on the trailer. Wolverine is a bad ass and it can be hard to portray him without the cheese factor, I hope they manage to pull it off. I think I'm just a bit bitter because they haven't put Omega Red into the movie. He has to be one of the best villains, especially combined with his storyline with Wolverine. Is it just me? I mean, they seemed to have crammed a lot of characters into the film no doubt, but I would have preferred quality rather than quantity. Really well developed, 3 dimensional characters rather than shallow excuses for some fancy CGI.

I am a huge fan of X-men and I didn't actually think the X-men movies were too bad. Plus Hugh Jackman is a piece of grad-A beefcake, so I can't complain too much.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
    Shazam said:
    "Plus Hugh Jackman is a piece of grad-A beefcake, so I can't complain too much."
    *checks to see if you are a chick*
    *confirms that you are an Irish chick*

Shazam said:
    "I think I'm just a bit bitter because they haven't put Omega Red into the movie. He has to be one of the best villains, especially combined with his storyline with Wolverine."
    *confirms that you are an awesome Irish chick for knowing your villains*
    ToRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ToRo

I'm looking forward to seeing deadpool. I won't be seeing this one in the theaters though. Nor will I get it on DVD. All hail the internetz.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I expect the movie to suck just like Xmen 1-3 sucked they all sucked simple as that and this will suck just as much oh it will get alot of tickets sold cause its the only high budget xmen movie you can get but that doesn't mean squat in the end.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#31  Edited By strangeling

I'll see it eventually.

I think Marvel are getting overconfident with their movies, and not taking the appropriate time to make sure everything is top-notch.  It seems for every halfway decent one, they have one that kind of stinks.

I can appreciate a movie for what it is, it doesn't have to adhere to the comics.
    My biggest beef with Marvel is they think when their movies (which are not their comics!) do well, they have to make changes in their comics to match the movies.
    Like Rogue's name being Anna.
    Like changing Toad into the movie Toad.
    Like making Spider-Man's web shooters organic.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They're refilming the scene where Wolverine grapples with the flying helicopter in mid-flight.  They're trying to make it even shittier.

There's no way to resurrect the X-Men franchise.  Not after The Last Stand.  That was pure drivel. 

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shazam
    jakob187 said:
    "Shazam said:
    "Plus Hugh Jackman is a piece of grad-A beefcake, so I can't complain too much."
    *confirms that you are an Irish chick*

Shazam said:
    "I think I'm just a bit bitter because they haven't put Omega Red into the movie. He has to be one of the best villains, especially combined with his storyline with Wolverine."
    *confirms that you are an awesome Irish chick for knowing your villains*
    "
    It would be worrying if I was a guy wouldn't it? I thought nobody would back me up about the Omega Red thing, citing that he's too shallow to be a proper character. They just need to dig a little deeper, plus who else can combat Wolverine effectively? I mean, The Hulk ripped Wolverine in two at one point and Wolverine just healed up and went right back on track - who thinks Gambit is going to have a chance? Omega Red can just suck the life out of him so towards the end, the nerd portion of the audience won't know who is going to win the final showdown.

I would only not want Omega Red in the film if, they do to Omega Red what they did to Colosuss. Give him a nice wholesome American accent, stripping away his character and turning him into some boring extra with special effects. I think I would rather watch Halle Berry star as Storm in a "X-men Orgins: Storm" film and that, is saying something.
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Otacon

It's got gambit in it so yes I will still go and see it, however I still think that all of the X men films could have been done better. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.