Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X Rebirth

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

X Rebirth heralds more than just an additional chapter within the X series, it is a fresh beginning bringing with it a number of gameplay innovations without compromising its successful origins.

Will this game get some coverage on GB?

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Would be great if the GB crew did a QL ( I suppose Drew could be interested in something like this). With all the console launches and what not, this game could easily get overlooked, especially because who ever would do the QL (or any kind of coverage) would need to put in a lot of time into it. Your thoughts? Also, here's the latest dev log.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By splodge

Sounds like a Drew / Vinny combo to me. I remember plating the old X games and enjoying them, but finding myself getting bored eventually. I would be interested to see what they have done to freshen it up a bit.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Capum15

Oh man, totally forgot it was this close to release. Also I like his accent; fits well I think, with the videos.

Ugh, I wish my car wasn't being weird or I would totally grab the bonus edition because I'm a sucker for music.

But yeah, Drew / Vinny would be cool for a QL. Go abduct grab Dave and do a Space Flight Club.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arach666

I sure hope so,it´s a pretty high profile PC game so it would be really odd if they didn´t, like both of you said it sounds like something Vinny and Drew would be all over for one of those 1h+ QL´s.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe in the form of an UPF segment but probably not for a full on QL with all the shit popping off with the new consoles. This does seem up @drewbert's alley though.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to this. Hoping it is a big sandbox universe.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe in the form of an UPF segment but probably not for a full on QL with all the shit popping off with the new consoles. This does seem up @drewbert's alley though.

Oh man,I didn´t even consider that,launching your game on the same day as a new console isn´t a great idea.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arach666 said:

@razielcuts said:

Oh man,I didn´t even consider that,launching your game on the same day as a new console isn´t a great idea.

Neither did Nintendo or Sony. Super Mario 3D World and Tearaway both coming out on launch days.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would be more of Dave thing back in the good old days. Probably won't get much coverage here.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless Drew does something with it, no one else ever will. Given that it was pretty frequently recommended that players read a like 75 page PDF about the basics of the game before they even played it, no one but Drew would ever have the patience for that at all.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arach666 said:

@razielcuts said:

It's a complex PC exclusive space trading game. A large part of the target audience for this probably couldn't care less about new consoles.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arach666

@gike987 said:

@arach666 said:

@razielcuts said:

It's a complex PC exclusive space trading game. A large part of the target audience for this probably couldn't care less about new consoles.

Oh for sure,I mean as far as media coverage is concerned though.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arach666 said:

@gike987 said:

@arach666 said:

@razielcuts said:

Oh for sure,I mean as far as media coverage is concerned though.

PC games except for indie darlings almost never get media coverage on any of the big sites. If you are a PC gamer you probably already get all your game coverage from YouTube or read PC focused sites like Rock, Paper, Shotgun and PC gamer. At least that's what I do.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie@drewbert I hope so. This release is honestly more exciting than the consoles.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

What is this bullshit crystal balling going on in this thread?! If I recall correctly Vinny bought his Saitek stick specifically to play the X games. I am sure it is on their radars and there will be a QL.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To this day Giant Bomb has never talked about Star Citizen 'officially' on the site, as a news article etc. That'll probably tell you where they stand on space sim-type games.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Wuddel

I literally know nothing about the X series. It happened entirely in my PC gaming free years. I did love Frontier/Privateer though.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's out now. has anyone tried it yet? I'd really like to hear some opinions from some people who have played this and the series to get an idea if I would like it. A QL by the top men would be amazing too.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jayzilla said:

It's out now. has anyone tried it yet? I'd really like to hear some opinions from some people who have played this and the series to get an idea if I would like it. A QL by the top men would be amazing too.

It's a mess right now. Rock Paper Shotgun has a writeup that covers what's up with the game: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/15/x-rebirth-preview/

I don't think a Quick Look would paint this game in a good light and would probably be unplayable for them. I would suspect it would show up in an Unprofessional Fridays later though.

Even with a beefy rig (Intel i5 4670k and nVidia GTX770) I have to turn settings pretty far down to get an acceptable framerate in the busier areas. People on the Steam and official forums are reporting that the campaign cannot be completed at the moment due to some delivery bugs. A lot of peopleare complaining about the voice acting is also pretty bad with completely out of whack lip sync.

However...

This is par for the course for EgoSoft and all of the X games. X3 was outright unplayable at launch but after a few patches became a fantastic game. I do see huge potential and it feels a lot like Freelancer in both the environments and gameplay. My recommendation would be to wait until it goes on sale, by then all of the bugs will be worked out.

There is also a fantastic modding community surrounding the X games, so I expect great things from them in the near future.

I absolutely want Oculus Rift support.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayzilla: I played it for a few hours, and even though I love a lot of the stuff going on in the game it just has such a lack of polish that I couldn't stand playing it anymore. I think I got up to (and finished) what supposedly is a broken mission that stops some people from progressing, and almost every step in the process of getting there had me fumbling around trying to figure out what the game wanted me to do. I wouldn't completely discount the idea that there might be a good game in there somewhere, but it does a terrible job at presenting it to you.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Initially I was afraid that Jeff or Brad would somehow Quick Look this and inevitably half-ass it, but yeah, you guys are right, the only person who would even be interested in playing this would be Drew, or maybe Vinny. And if they look at it at all, they'll probably put some time into it beforehand.

Nonetheless, it's a bummer to hear that the game is kinda busted right now. Also I really hope they don't show this game on an Unprofessional Fridays, because every game that is remotely complex on UnPro Friday ends up seeming boring, and then it's just Drew playing it silently in the back while everyone else talks about fucking Domino's Pizza or something for the 15th time this month.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing how they did the Wolf among us QL a month after release, maybe this game could get a similar treatment when it's all patched up.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funkydupe: I think they have talked about it on the podcast and that's about as official as it gets.

This and the PC version of AC4 coming out next week, looks like I'm set for a bit!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Funkydupe

I've played 8 hours of X Rebirth now. Busted? The game isn't fun and that's not mainly because of bugs. It is the biggest gaming disappointment of the year for me. 7 years in the making and they come up with this. The campaign is nothing short of terrible. The UI is horrendous and you constantly find yourself fighting it to do even the smallest tasks while wondering what they were thinking.

When are space sim fans going to catch a break? Elite? Star Citizen? I don't know, I really don't.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Someone get Dave on the phone!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broke down and grabbed the game a day or so ago. Played an hour and a half so far after the PS4 stream and I'm having flashbacks to when I started X3:TC.

I'm garbage at shooting things with bullets but I love just flying around space. I need more missiles.

I find it alright so far. Clunky interface is annoying. I find myself wondering what the community is going to do for this, as they did for the previous games. I am going to miss hopping into different ships though, as some of the bigger ones in TC were pretty kickass.

Also the OST that came with the CE is fantastic. I love it.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brad likes space. Him and Vinny should check this out.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've played 8 hours of X Rebirth now. Busted? The game isn't fun and that's not mainly because of bugs. It is the biggest gaming disappointment of the year for me. 7 years in the making and they come up with this. The campaign is nothing short of terrible. The UI is horrendous and you constantly find yourself fighting it to do even the smallest tasks while wondering what they were thinking.

When are space sim fans going to catch a break? Elite? Star Citizen? I don't know, I really don't.

I can't believe you already put 8 hours into it. I've been trying my damnedest to keep playing. Steam says I've played it for 3 hours but game time is actually 20mins. I just started making headway with the fucking stupid story and the fucking game crashed (and not for the first time). No auto saving so I'm butt fucked for the last two missions I did.

This game is fucking JUNKKKK right now and to be honest it doesn't seem like it'll get better. The game mechanics are junk, not just the bugs and crashes.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good recommendation from he official forums is to skip the story altogether and just do free play. The campaign is pretty much broken, but if you've gotten far enough to learn the maddening UI, you're better off in the sandbox.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By slyspider

DAVEEEEEEEEEEE

qlanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By qlanth

@chiablo said:

A good recommendation from he official forums is to skip the story altogether and just do free play. The campaign is pretty much broken, but if you've gotten far enough to learn the maddening UI, you're better off in the sandbox.

Unfortunately much of the trading is totally broken right now. In some cases you will have to edit save files to cancel trade orders. And you'll likely need to do it a lot because AI pathing is really broken at the moment and my freighter couldn't complete an order because it kept flying into the side of a station.

Honestly I feel kind of ripped off. The game is optimized for shit, features like trading are broken, I'm crashing once every 90 minutes or so on average. I've thought about trying for a refund on the game. I doubt I'll have much luck but for me it's simply infuriating to play.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

@jayzilla said:

It's a mess right now. Rock Paper Shotgun has a writeup that covers what's up with the game: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/15/x-rebirth-preview/

I don't think a Quick Look would paint this game in a good light and would probably be unplayable for them. I would suspect it would show up in an Unprofessional Fridays later though.

Even with a beefy rig (Intel i5 4670k and nVidia GTX770) I have to turn settings pretty far down to get an acceptable framerate in the busier areas. People on the Steam and official forums are reporting that the campaign cannot be completed at the moment due to some delivery bugs. A lot of peopleare complaining about the voice acting is also pretty bad with completely out of whack lip sync.

However...

This is par for the course for EgoSoft and all of the X games. X3 was outright unplayable at launch but after a few patches became a fantastic game. I do see huge potential and it feels a lot like Freelancer in both the environments and gameplay. My recommendation would be to wait until it goes on sale, by then all of the bugs will be worked out.

There is also a fantastic modding community surrounding the X games, so I expect great things from them in the near future.

I absolutely want Oculus Rift support.

@ares42 said:

@jayzilla: I played it for a few hours, and even though I love a lot of the stuff going on in the game it just has such a lack of polish that I couldn't stand playing it anymore. I think I got up to (and finished) what supposedly is a broken mission that stops some people from progressing, and almost every step in the process of getting there had me fumbling around trying to figure out what the game wanted me to do. I wouldn't completely discount the idea that there might be a good game in there somewhere, but it does a terrible job at presenting it to you.

Thanks for the info, duders. I will most definitely wait for what sounds like much needed patching. At this point, I would love to see a fix in place before the Steam Winter Sale and then I could pick it up for a song.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KEvin had this to say about it: Kevin VanOrd ‏@fiddlecub6m

"And of course I didn't save, so I lost 20 minutes. Right now, my thoughts on X Rebirth are as follows: "Fuck X Rebirth."

Ouch. Too bad too. I was looking forward to this.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#35  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@jayzilla said:

KEvin had this to say about it: Kevin VanOrd ‏@fiddlecub6m

"And of course I didn't save, so I lost 20 minutes. Right now, my thoughts on X Rebirth are as follows: "Fuck X Rebirth."

Ouch. Too bad too. I was looking forward to this.

Oh, with that and the reports of it always crashing when failing a mission, I'm kinda happy I couldn't afford it this month. Sounds like a wait-for-sale-and/or-patches-game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.