Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X3: Terran Conflict

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 17, 2008

X3: Terran Conflict is the culmination of the X trilogy, with a grand finale that takes us all the way back to Earth's own solar system.

Teetering On The Fence

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Subjugation

After a lot of searching around the internet regarding X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict I still find myself on the razor's edge of actually buying one, both, or none of them. The concept sounds immensely interesting to me and the videos I have come across on Youtube (very few seem to exist) even look pretty nice considering the games are a few years old. The argument I keep hearing against the game is that of it being incredibly complex and having a massive learning curve. I'd like to think that I'm the kind of person that can deal with complexity and depth provided there is a rewarding game to be found underneath it all.

So my questions to you would be are the complaints about complexity unwarranted? Is the game any fun if you are able to master the learning curve? Is it even necessary to play X3: Reunion or should someone just skip to Terran Conflict since it is a stand alone expansion? It's my understanding that these games appeal to a very niche crowd so hopefully one among you happens to be numbered among that group and can give me some honest advice.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

It isn't actually that complex. The autopilot system is the only part that was a bit hard for me in the beginning. I started with the merchant character and spent the first 5-10 hours just trading and getting a bigger merchant fleet. It's true that the game isn't for everybody but once you start to master the UI it gets very fun, at least for me, and you can start with the assassin (I think that's what her title is) if you want some more action. I've only played X2: the threat and X3: Terran Conflict and I recommend that you just buy Terran Conflict, it's completely stand alone.  

You should avoid some missions in the beginning, retrieve ship missions are often hard since the ships you have to pick up are often damaged so they're very slow.
    Transport people can also be a bit tough sometimes if you don't have a jumpdrive and some missions require special transport ships.

Save often and in different slots. Another good tip is that you can repair ships if you get out of them in your spacesuit. Some people sell ships and you can sometimes get good ships very cheap if they have a lot of damage, then you can just repair them and sell them or use them.

If you like spaceships and are a patient person then X3: Terran Conflict is a game for you.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Subjugation

@Gargantuan: Thanks for the detailed response, that information is pretty reassuring. Is it largely a single player only experience? And have you dabbled with mods at all? I've heard there is a pretty dedicated modding community centered around the games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a long time fan of the X games and I can back up the previous posts claim that they're not difficult to understand at all, the only thing I would say is that they can be overwhelming, it's the most open of open worlds (galaxies?) and that aspect of not having a real clear guide of what to do is more often the barrier people have with it. I would say just buy Terran Conflict, there are huge improvements with each game that essentially make the previous one redundant.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

@NeverDave: What are these games? If you could sum it up in one sentence...they look interesting but I'm not sure why, and I have no idea what they really are.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MB: They're kind of the natural progression of Elite and things like the Escape Velocity shareware games.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mike

@NeverDave: Never even heard of those!!! Hah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MB: Ok without referencing other games, they're very VERY free openworld space simulators, you can trade or explore or pirate or do whatever, it's a totally player driven thing in general so you get out what you put in.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike

@NeverDave: Great....well, here's to adding to me giant ass Steam backlog. (edit...screw this game, I just watched Part 1 of a YouTube tutorial for it, I don't have time for that!)

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @MB said:

@NeverDave: Great....well, here's to adding to me giant ass Steam backlog. Can I get away with just buying one of these games, or should I just get the Superbox? I read somewhere else that the more recent games sort of make the old ones obsolete.

I would also like to know this. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

@MB said:

@NeverDave: Great....well, here's to adding to me giant ass Steam backlog. Can I get away with just buying one of these games, or should I just get the Superbox? I read somewhere else that the more recent games sort of make the old ones obsolete.

I would also like to know this.

There is definitely no need to buy the older games, you just need the latest.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Never heard of them, but I bought them.

Probably won't play them.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By grilledcheez

This game intrigued me so I just bought it. One of these days when I have nothing to do and all the patience in the world, I will delve into it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.