Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

360 only owners, what's the main thing keeping you from buying a PS3?

• 68 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Just wondering here.  Not trying to start any arguments, and I've asked the same question to PS3 owners about the 360.

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shinryu

A mixture of D and B. All multiplatform games are on both, i already own a 360, everyone i know owns a 360 and not a ps3. 360 has waaaaay better exclusives etc.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

I voted "Other".  I bought a PS3 in August or so and then traded it in December for an iPod Touch.  I played a few exclusives like Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, MGS4, and LIttleBigPlanet.  MGS4 and LittleBigPlanet just didn't do it for me, and looking out towards the upcoming exclusives, there just wasn't anything compelling enough for me to justify keeping the console.  Since I'm someone that is primarily interested in online co-op and not competitive multiplayer, if Killzone 2 had co-op I definitely would have kept the PS3 and picked that game up.

Having owned both, I'm just more comfortable and happy with the 360's functionality and how it's set up as compared to the PlayStation 3.  I may pick one up again in another year or so if there are some more exclusives out that really interest me, AND if the price comes down a good bit.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo

You should have put it in General Discussion instead of making 2 separate threads. Just ask the general "why didn't you buy the other" question.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lebkin

Mine is mostly cost, though the factors contributed as well.  Fewer friends have a Playstation 3.  And since I couldn't afford two consoles, I bought the console with the exclusives I wanted (Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc). 

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By j0rdan

I havent really ever thought of getting one until recently.
    None of my friends have one so Ive never really had a propor chance to play on one.

But recently Ive found myself looking at them in stores and price checking them a hell of alot.

I find the look of Little Big Planet really interesting and I hear good things about the motorstorm series whcih i think i would enjoy.
    Plus I know the media funtionality is amazing in comparison to the limited 360.

Dont get me wrong, I love my 360 and nothing can replace it, but I do watch more movies than play games and everything I watch is over my network which the PS3 would be better suited for the the 360 is, I mean the 360 is adequate, but the PS3 has so many more option when it comes to playback formats.

So if the price comes down abit more, maybe £250 area, I will probably get one just for Little Big Planet, Motorstorm and its media playback.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By freezerr

I have one console that plays 95% of the games a PS3 will play. 400$ for the ability to play a few other titles doesn't seem worth it to me. If I bought another console, it'd almost surely be a Wii.

(I voted B)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike
    Vinchenzo said:
    "You should have put it in General Discussion instead of making 2 separate threads. Just ask the general "why didn't you buy the other" question."

I think it's fine the way he set them up as two separate polls.  It's really two distinct discussions, and this is the way I would have done it.  Nice topic, SpaceInsomniac.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo
    MB said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "You should have put it in General Discussion instead of making 2 separate threads. Just ask the general "why didn't you buy the other" question."

I think it's fine the way he set them up as two separate polls.  It's really two distinct discussions, and this is the way I would have done it.  Nice topic, SpaceInsomniac."
    Well sure, I just hate the idea of not seeing both sides in one thread. A bit confusing, but I posted in the PS3 one anyway.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's the price/lack of exclusives for me. The only games that really really interest me on the PS3 are MGS4 and LBP. There are a few others I'd buy if I had one, but they are only slightly appealing. And I can't justify spending £400 on 2 games. If there were more games that really appealed to me, the price would be worth it, or if the price was lower, I'd get it just for those 2 games, but at the moment, it's just not worth it.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By weltal

Well, I have a 360 and therefor I have the majority of both system's libraries. I do want a PS3 but I cannot justify the price versus the number of games that I'm interested in on the system.

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By NateDogg

A mix of B and D for me as well.

Last weekend I was thinking seriously about buiying a PS3 because I've only recently seen game trailers for Killzone 2 and I must say I am impressed. If the gameplay in that game is as good as it looks, there is a good chance I will drop the $399 for a PS3..

As an 360 only owner, all multiplatform games I get will be for the 360 because I'm also heavy into achievments.

That leaves exclusives only for the PS3... So far the list of games I'm interested in owning/playing for the PS3 are as follows:

Killzone 2
    Metal Gear solid 4 (Only played MGS1, will WIKI 2 & 3)
    GT 5 maybe...? Forza 3 comes out soon so I'm not so sure about that one.

That is all.

Oh and I wanted to add that I have 3 friends that own PS3's and 10 that own Xbox 360's so that also has some influence on my decisions.
    j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By j0rdan

Its good that he made 2 seperate post, other wise it would have just been an invite for a fanboy war.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

I chose other, because I couldn't just choose 1. Basically, it's too expensive for what it offers. There are games on the system that I want to play, but it just isn't economically viable for me to buy one. Ok, that's a lie, I could buy several at this moment if I wanted to. I simply don't feel like spending more money than I think it's worth. I'm interested in building a new PC long before buying a PS3.

People are all like "lah lah lah xbox live is gonna not b da best soon PSN is catching up!"; but here's the catch- it isn't. It's catching up in terms of overall features. The PSN itself is becoming more unified, the over-service is being improved, individual games are improving their ability to tie in to the cloud, etc. and that's all very nice. However, and I speak for myself and most of my friends when I say this, the PSN/in-game XMB does not compete with XBL/Guide functionality in any way. I've always admired Sony's incredible firmware functions, and I would love to have a web browser/rss-reader and all of that jazz, but it's all fluff. Xbox has a more stable infrastructure overall because individual games do not have to use dedicated servers, meaning p2p services would never die. The messaging system and friends system is still miles ahead of the PS3's. I was considering buying a PS3 until the party system came out- now, I'm not at all. The Xbox allows me to be constantly social, even if I can't get out at night or don't feel like riding somewhere. The party system, though still not perfected, is excellent.

Really, if it weren't for the ease of networking and ease of play on the consoles (plus the comfort of the bed that I play games on), I would still be a primarily PC gamer. But when it comes to my console choices, it's all about several factors: social features, and how those interact with games and game features. I don't necessarily care about exclusives. 85% of the games I own are multi-plats. I could live without them. While I consider the PS3 to be the better console in terms of overall potential, and holy hell, do I wish it would realize that potential. Until it does at least come close, though, I'll be stuck on the shitty NXE interface, having an amazing time with my buddies, not giving a shit about the RRoD and being happy.

That said, I have mad respect for the PS3, and if one were to present itself at a $300 or lower price range (ideally), I would probably jump at the opportunity to buy it. It's just too expensive for what it offers at the moment. And yes, I am aware that I pay $50 for Live, and I consider it to be some of the best money I spend all year.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um.  As a college student, I am, as the layman would say, a bit poor. 

I just can't shell out the cash for a Playstation 3.  Especially when there is very little about the console that interests me.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    MB said:
    Nice topic, SpaceInsomniac."
    Thanks. 

On another note, way too many people are voting (other) in both threads without ever explaining themselves.  Just because your reasoning is a mixture of the provided choices doesn't mean you should pick (other) because you can't commit to one.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    "MB said:
    Thanks. 

On another note, way too many people are voting (other) in both threads without ever explaining themselves.  Just because your reasoning is a mixture of the provided choices doesn't mean you should pick (other) because you can't commit to one."
    So I shouldn't have picked other and written my little essay up?
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    "On another note, way too many people are voting (other) in both threads without ever explaining themselves.  Just because your reasoning is a mixture of the provided choices doesn't mean you should pick (other) because you can't commit to one."
    I think that people who do not own a 360/PS3 or own both are voting other so they can see the results.
    daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daz0608

Mainly it's too expensive, also there isn't one exclusive that makes me think I need a PS3 (even though there are a few I want to play), Heavy Rain might change that.

But yea price is the main thing, it's still more expensive than the 360 was when that originaly came out!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
    MB said:
    "I voted "Other".  I bought a PS3 in August or so and then traded it in December for an iPod Touch.  I played a few exclusives like Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, MGS4, and LIttleBigPlanet.  MGS4 and LittleBigPlanet just didn't do it for me, and looking out towards the upcoming exclusives, there just wasn't anything compelling enough for me to justify keeping the console.  Since I'm someone that is primarily interested in online co-op and not competitive multiplayer, if Killzone 2 had co-op I definitely would have kept the PS3 and picked that game up.

Having owned both, I'm just more comfortable and happy with the 360's functionality and how it's set up as compared to the PlayStation 3.  I may pick one up again in another year or so if there are some more exclusives out that really interest me, AND if the price comes down a good bit."
    Save for the 'MGS4 just didn't do it for me part', this is my experience too.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Snipzor

No games I want to play, literally, zero games I would be willing to play. Wait, there's a required install?! I did not know that.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

For me it's a bit of all of those choices except the fact that it's made by Sony, I'm not particularly bothered who makes a product aslong as it's good.
    I went with "No exclusives I want to play" because although I would like to play MGS and God of War, I don't think 2 games warrant a purchase. If I get some money and find a good deal I might get one though, and there is also the fact that I would like a blu-ray player ^_^

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Optiow said:
    "Becuase 360 owners don't like to admit that Ps3 is better."
    It's not that, really.  In fact, I romanticize the PS3 as a result of my not owning it.  The problem is, I fear it will just become this generation's Gamecube.  I loved the idea of the Gamecube, the sounds and the sights the console was associated with, but when all the sheen tarnishes, I was left with a good platform that was woefully uninteresting.  Again, this is completely subjective, because I understand there are people who were batshit crazy for the Gamecube. 

That same problem exists with the PS3.  I want it mostly because I don't already own it, but if you were to have me list a battery of exclusives for the console that interest me, it'd take up half a post-it note. 
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EvilTwin

Nothing is really stopping me now other than money.  If I could afford it, I'd buy it. 

I'm still really happy I bought a 360 first because when I bought it, I was just starting to get back into gaming (took a 2 year MMO hiatus /shamefaced) and I think I would have lost interest if I only had a PS3 at that time.  Now the PS3 is a lot more appealing though.

EDIT:  To clarify, I didn't mean that the PS3 is a lot more appealing than the 360, I mean that it is a lot more appealing now than it was when I bought my 360.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    Jayge said:
    "SpaceInsomniac said:
    "MB said:
    Thanks. 

On another note, way too many people are voting (other) in both threads without ever explaining themselves.  Just because your reasoning is a mixture of the provided choices doesn't mean you should pick (other) because you can't commit to one."
    So I shouldn't have picked other and written my little essay up?"
    The question asks what is the MAIN reason.  Little essays are encouraged, but I mostly did this to find out what people feel each company needs to fix the most.  Pick the most important one, and then post about exactly how you feel.

Snipzor said:
    "No games I want to play, literally, zero games I would be willing to play. Wait, there's a required install?! I did not know that."
    Not all games require an install, but many do.  It really can make your hard drive space on the system seem a lot smaller.  MS was smart to make it an option, but not having an HD included with every system meant they really had no choice in the matter.

Jayge said:
    Get that stupid fanboy shit outta here."
    Please, just ignore the trolls.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wefwefasdf

It comes down to games and the fact that none of my friends have one. If all my friends had one... I would probably get one.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jayge_
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    "The question asks what is the MAIN reason.  Little essays are encouraged, but I mostly did this to find out what people feel each company needs to fix the most.  Pick the most important one, and then post about exactly how you feel."
    I guess I did that, then. Although it's not that the online isn't up to Live quality, it's that the infrastructure framing the online isn't up to Live polish.
    Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shazam

A mixture of A & B. No way I'm forking out that much for a console that doesn't even beat my beloved 360. Although when MGS4 came out, I was mighty tempted.

lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By lvl10Wizard

I voted "other" my reason? I won't get a PS3 because I already have an Xbox and i'm 100% happy with it.

I don't see any point in owning two consoles personally. I don't collect or hoard shit.

While everyone's going Blu-Ray I'm scouring the charity shops for VHS tapes and watching films for next to nothing, when i'm done with them they go back to the shop.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JoelTGM

No games that I want to play, and all of my friends have a 360. 

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By BiggerBomb

G. Other:

I don't like Playstation consoles...

Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Woffls

The main issue has been price for me, it's still at least £300 over here, but I bought one because I got a good deal from a friend and needed a Bluray player for my new TV :D

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Snail

Too expensive won? But... But... The charts you morons!

comradecrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By comradecrash

Its still just the cost of the thing...I would have gotten it a long time ago but I just can't drop more money on a big ticket item.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By clarke0

I don't have the money for it AND the only platform I have been playing for a long while now is PC. I have to play my Xbox a lot more before I can justify getting a PS3.

Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Dark_Shadow
    Snail said:
    "Too expensive won? But... But... The charts you morons!"
    Well yeah - though, none is going to all those things... or it is a rare case if it happens. Anyway, I own both systems, and the second I bought was PS3 so ...
    ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShadowKiller

Cross between B and F. Pretty much none of my friends have one and sure if I had an extra $450 lieing around I'd definitely buy one but right now I'm happy with my Xbox

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Rayfield

A mix of B & D I guess.

I'll probably pick one up eventually but price is the main factor. When I look at the price tag, I think "I could just buy a whole bunch of awesome 360 games instead".

That said, MGS4 almost got me and since Heavy Rain is coming out this year, 2009 will probably be the year for me. As long as Sony drop the price.

Don't really care about Blu-Ray.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Systech

Honestly, I have bigger things to worry about than buying a PS3. I would love to have one, but in my situation, it's just not realistic.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Snail
    Dark_Shadow said:
    "Snail said:
    Well yeah - though, none is going to all those things... or it is a rare case if it happens. Anyway, I own both systems, and the second I bought was PS3 so ..."
    And the price was barely an obstacle. Price is an excuse for. something!
    Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lemegeton

the simple fact is that there just isnt enough exclusive titles on either system to justify owning both.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Discorsi

I'll buy it when the ps4 comes out.  360 is good enough for now.

SilentMike485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SilentMike485
    1. Pricey...still waiting for price drop.
    2. Not enough awesomeness  going on, in my opinion...Killzone 2 & LittleBig Planet are the only things I'm diggin so far.
    William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By William

The cost. I'll probably get one once it goes down.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheGremp

I just voted 'Other" because there wasn't an "All of the above"...

I have little to no desire for the PS3.  The only thing that I would get on it is Little Big Planet, and possibly MGS4.

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Demo

No exclusives I want. 360 has Gears of War and Quake IV, plus the multiplatform titles.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I was a 360 owner, and waited until they supposedly fixed the red ring issue to buy mine. I traded in all my GC & PS2 systems and games to get it. I loved it when I had it, then it red-ringed on me. It was repaired, but then died again. It was replaced, and then I sold it out of frustration.

I opted for the 360 because of the price tag the lack of exclusives I was interested in on PS3 (at the time). I'm interested in the PS3 now because the exclusives are starting to show up, and its reliability is much greater than the 360 at this point. It's just the $399 price point that's discouraging me. If Sony should drop it to $299, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat- as will a lot of others. In a down economy, every discretionary purchase is under scrutiny.
    Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Dark_Shadow
    Snail said:
    "Dark_Shadow said:
    "Snail said:
    Well yeah - though, none is going to all those things... or it is a rare case if it happens. Anyway, I own both systems, and the second I bought was PS3 so ..."
    And the price was barely an obstacle. Price is an excuse for. something!"
    Price is something that exists to keep people away from buying "that". (Whatever "that" is) - PS3 can be quite expensive, but if "you" (well, this isn't for you Snail, it's for you in general) are looking for a Blu ray Player, you should really buy PS3. At least you could have some fun with it, more than watching movies. And it is cheap - comparing to Blu-Ray Players, of course.
    nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By nickdastick

I would have to say the cost is what is keeping me away from it. There are some sick games on that system and I wouldn't mind blu-ray but the cost is still a bit much for me. There is supposed to be a PS3 coming out that is going to be $299... Maybe I'll grab it then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.