Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

360 users getting shafted by Microsoft????

Kaycon11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Kaycon11

I am kinda mad about this and I want to know what you guys think. Ok, as lots of you might know, this past week the Games For Windows Live service has been moved from a $50 subscription to free, not only that but people who purchased a subscription and never used it on the 360 get refunded. Why in the hell do the 360 users get shafted like this, Why do 360 users have to pay $50 a year to play games online when PC gamers can already play 99% of games for free with no subscription, I don't understand.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love PC games and I plan on getting a new PC next year but right now I am more of a console gamer and I just don't get why they make people pay $50 a year to play games online, on a damn Peer to Peer service, not even on dedicated servers...

So pretty much, do you think 360 users are getting shafted by MS($)????

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Dude

Because online PC gaming was free when it first started, online console gaming is still somewhat new, and since microsoft were really the pioneers of it they must have figured..."well shit we might as well make a buck off of this thing"
    Pretty much there was no standard for free online gaming, so why not charge for it if they can.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rowr

I think you will find xbox users arent getting shafted, rather PC gamers getting unshafted.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Riddler

cause PC games WERE ALWAYS free. GFW with a payment wouldve never worked.

and live wont be free until MS has any real competition from sony or nintendo. nintendo's will never happen and PSN is a pathetic joke, SO DEAL WITH IT.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5  Edited By JamesF

Xbox Live on 360 is far superior to XBL on PC. they don't get movie downloads or anything like that. PC gamers were getting shafted before and now they're not getting shafted. I'm not upset in the slightest.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By LightYagami245
    Kaycon11 said:
    "I am kinda mad about this and I want to know what you guys think. Ok, as lots of you might know, this past week the Games For Windows Live service has been moved from a $50 subscription to free, not only that but people who purchased a subscription and never used it on the 360 get refunded. Why in the hell do the 360 users get shafted like this, Why do 360 users have to pay $50 a year to play games online when PC gamers can already play 99% of games for free with no subscription, I don't understand.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love PC games and I plan on getting a new PC next year but right now I am more of a console gamer and I just don't get why they make people pay $50 a year to play games online, on a damn Peer to Peer service, not even on dedicated servers...

So pretty much, do you think 360 users are getting shafted by MS($)????
    "
    I think someone made a topic about this before, and someone who posted in it said something like this:

"For Games For Windows, players can make games on other servers, while for Live, we're all on MS's server".

Something like that.
    MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By MsCortana

Well, I don't feel as if I'm getting the "shaft" as you put it.  I'm pleased with the service I get for live, hence me paying 50 bucks a year for it.  If I thought the service was inadequate or I was being treated unfairly, I just wouldn't utilize such a service. :D

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SSbabel

Because they're trying to make a base with there line of games for windows games, if they charge they wont get the sales they're looking for.

Nibbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nibbz

Games for Windows Live sucks. XBOX Live doesn't. I really don't care about paying $50 a YEAR. Its easy to manage and it keeps XBL from becoming the shithole that is PSN and Wii Network.

AnTiPRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By AnTiPRO

It's just 50 bucks....not alot of money for the services offered.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By epic_pets

It comes with alot of stuff, we could say that we are shaffting microsoft

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Bennyishere

I'll survive.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I don't feel we're shafted because of this, I feel 360 users are shafted because of another issue.  PC users have ALWAYS had free online, and suggesting anything else on an open platform is silly.  360 currently offers a better online experience than PS3, so you get what you pay for.  I hope one day PS3 catches up and surpasses Xbox Live, because that would force MS to either make their system even better--which they're already doing with the dashboard update--or stop charging for live.

Why I personally feel we're getting shafted is MS not allowing mod support.  I can play an Uno game and be subjected to tits and ass and wangs, I can use the headset and hear people call me all sorts of awful things, but goodness forbid we have a level share feature in N+, because someone might write dirty words in blocks, or draw a penis.  It's bullshit, and Microsoft just want to make sure the only way you can get added content for your game is to buy what they're selling.

Hopefully, if titles like Little Big Planet are a huge success, MS will have no choice but to do the right thing and allow user made content. If not, I think they could be making a big mistake.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brukaoru
    LightYagami245 said:
    I think someone made a topic about this before, and someone who posted in it said something like this:

"For Games For Windows, players can make games on other servers, while for Live, we're all on MS's server".

Something like that.
    "
    As far as I know, most 360 games do run on Microsoft's servers, but there are some games that run on the developer's servers.

As much money as Microsoft is losing with the plague of the Red Ring of Death on the 360s, I can't see them lowering the cost of Xbox Live anytime soon. The cost of the RRODs and the addition of letting users use their servers for free would be very costly for them. Perhaps in the next generation console from Microsoft we will see a new pricing scheme, but I doubt Xbox Live will be lowered in this generation.
    Merforga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Merforga

Game for Windows Live all suck, so charging even a penny for them is a ripoff.  Because of the outrageous $50 price tag, nobody played them.  Now that they're free, Microsoft hopes to increase PC gaming.  As for the 360, get a job like most of us, then you can cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get the hell over it.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DualReaver

No we didn't get shafted.
    Seriously is 50 dollars a year that much to ask for?

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Carlos

I like live as it is, if 50$ its gonna keep it nice, I'm up for it

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carlos said:
    "I like live as it is, if 50$ its gonna keep it nice, I'm up for it
    "
    I agree, look at all the features and polish Live has compared to PSN. And with the new Dashboard Update this fall, I personally think we'll be getting almost our moneys worth... except for those stupid avatars.
    CB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CB

Also MS is ready and available to help out with games so they meet their online multiplayer needs. Sony, not so much for 3rd parties.

MutenMiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MutenMiller

I think it's alright because the fee is so nominal, it's almost like you're paying nothing at all.
    That said, I'd imagine at some point it does have to go free, especially considering the fact that the PSN is slowly catching up with a lot of the features... except charging for Qore, which is just absolutely insane.

Kaycon11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Kaycon11

ya, but I'm a high school student right now and I make very little money working part time, And I don't like paying $50 a year for online service, and I know what most of you might say, "If you don't like it, don't buy it", but I came from a PC gaming background in the late 90's and early 2000's, but I also had a PS2 and some sports games and socom and it was all free, that happened before xbox live, so IMO, MS is in no way pioneering online gaming on the consoles with the xbox or 360, I just think MS is being M$.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolverine

Its only $50 and plus online play in games have always been free on PC. The quality of online games on 360 are great and I would much rather pay $50 a year then have to deal with a free service like PSN or Wii 24 connect because online games on PS3 and Wii are missing so many features.

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By BlindEffekt

Who cares? Steam is where its at on pc anyway, games for windows live is a waste of time. Hence its free.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

yes i think so. pc games that have been out for a couple years still have people playing them. but games on consoles don't.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By DARKIDO07

I'm so sick of people crying over the price of Xbox Live, its a great service and if you can't afford to pay for it, you probably shouldn't own a Xbox 360 in the first place. X_X

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Monopolized

its 72.50 here..

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blu_Magic

$50 isn't so bad. Sure, I'd prefer it if it was free but I'm not going whine about paying for a great service.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shocker

They charge because they know people will still buy it. And it is worth it in my opinion.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Monopolized
    BlindEffekt said:
    "Who cares? Steam is where its at on pc anyway, games for windows live is a waste of time. Hence its free.
    "

Steam is free too what's your point

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By LightYagami245
    Blu_Magic said:
    "$50 isn't so bad. Sure, I'd prefer it if it was free but I'm not going whine about paying for a great service.
    "
    I agree.

You get more than what you paid for.
    Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Will1Lucky

There really was no point in charging $50 a year so PC gamers could get the full use out of say 1-5 games a year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.