Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Are the publishers 360 fanboys?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

Ok so I brought up sort of a similar topic (check out GiantBomb...360 fanboys?), and a lot of poeple led me to believe that they are in a way but they do want the other consoles to succeed just like I do.

However, someone brought something in that topic that shown that most publishers ship the press mainly 360 copies of their games (if theyre multi-platform). Whys is this? I understand that the PS3 can be hard to work with, but they still do it. I've checked out the 360 and PS3 versions of all kinds of games. For example, The Orange Box. And I've seen reports that they hate working with the PS3 or Sony in general.

My question is this. Why do they love the 360 so much? Are they getting paid? IS it really that much easier to work with? Konami, Capcom, EA, etc. can do it. Why can't they?

Opinions anyone?

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Reuben

Probably just because it's easier to work with, I don't think publishers are fanboys. The PS2 was the console to go to before and that was from Sony.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By C0V3RT

I'll go out on a limb and say that since the install base is larger for the 360 over the PS3 - they're shipping the 360 version because it's going to be the version most people will be playing.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

Basically, developers like it because the hardware is more PC-like, making it something more familiar to work with.

Giantbomb probably works with what they are given, but I do tend to believe they "favor" the 360 because it's what they all tend to game on the most. I think that's a more personal thing, however, and it doesn't show through in their actual judgment of things. You'll notice in a lot of their Wii quick looks, in particular, they'll shy away from saying the game sucks outright, and usually comment on how it just isn't meant for them.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Sick_J0ke

The main reason was something you already mentioned. The programming for the Xbox 360 is alot simpler than that for the PS3. Game programmers find it easier to work with. It goes to say the PS3 is a very powerful machine though. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
    deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They push the 360 versions mainly because more people (in the USA at least) have a 360 than a PS3.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ch13696

So basically it's too late for the PS3? Yes the 360 came out first and it had more stuff on the system from the start. But so did the dreamcast (minus the DVD player), but it met a poor fate. Not that I'm wishing this on the 360. How else am I going to play Gears of War 2 or Fable II.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#8  Edited By EpicSteve
    @ch13696 said:
    " Ok so I brought up sort of a similar topic (check out GiantBomb...360 fanboys?), and a lot of poeple led me to believe that they are in a way but they do want the other consoles to succeed just like I do. However, someone brought something in that topic that shown that most publishers ship the press mainly 360 copies of their games (if theyre multi-platform). Whys is this? I understand that the PS3 can be hard to work with, but they still do it. I've checked out the 360 and PS3 versions of all kinds of games. For example, The Orange Box. And I've seen reports that they hate working with the PS3 or Sony in general. My question is this. Why do they love the 360 so much? Are they getting paid? IS it really that much easier to work with? Konami, Capcom, EA, etc. can do it. Why can't they?Opinions anyone? "
    I'm gonna sound like a douche, so please excuse me. 

Some people get confused that games are a business. If you run a clothing store and find that polos sell considerably more than shorts, what are you going to stock up on? The PS3 could be as easy to work with as RPG Maker, but the numbers don't lie. More people own 360's, thus the 360 versions of games sell better. 

Also your above mentioned Fable and Gears will never be on your system because they are first party titles, meaning they are Microsoft games. It's like asking when you can play Mario Party on your PSP. These corporations aren't ran by kids who want o see a certain platform succeed, I'm sure they want everyone to do well so they can sell more games. They're ran by middle-aged business men who probably don't know what a fanboy is. 
    zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zungerman090

War...war never changes. AGAIN. I think it is cuz Xbox is easier to work with. PS3 got a lot of untapped potential tho. In way Sony was bit too hasty. If they released it later when people had means to push PS3 to the limit i guess publishers wouldnt be so "fanboyish" as u say they are. :D

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ch13696

Since a lot of companies are saying that the PS3 is harder to work with it stills baffles me. As more and more consoles come out later in the years they're going to get harder and harder to work with. Hey, if they can have good games like Killzone 2 and God of War III on the consoles with no problems then it has to be easy.

Well, there was another thing that came up. Activision. They said if Sony doesn't drop their price then they won't release any games on the PS3. Doesnt that give you reason to believe that maybe it's the price that doesnt sell the PS3? Yes, Sony does need to drop the price and when they do a lot of potential will come their way. Especially when the new people get it they'll relize that there's free online play.

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By Captainlunchbox

Valve has expressed its discontent with developing for the PS3 on more than one occasion, because they, for whatever reason, find the system's architecture very difficult to work with. That said, the PS3 is my console of choice and I can accept this without too much anger at Valve. It's just a shame, is all.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Sells better than PS3 and PC for the majority of third party games and is easy to develop for, that's why they like it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

it is supposedly be easier to make for the 360 version. there are more 360 out there then ps3 user based. u really can't tell a difference if u don't mind them.

PC also gets screwed sometimes. a lot of developers don't feel like optimizing the games for them. like look at this:
    ghostbusters requirement

Minimum System Requirements
    CPU: Dual-core Any Intel® or AMD® or faster
    RAM: 2 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400 512 MB or ATI®Radeon® X1300 512 MB, Shader 3.0 Required
    Sound: DirectX® 9.0c compatible
    Hard Drive: 9 GB or more available hard drive space
    Disc Drive: DVD-ROM drive.
    Input: Keyboard and Mouse or Xbox 360® compatible controller
    DirectX® 9.0c

CPU: Dual-core Any Intel® or AMD® or faster
    RAM: 2 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 512 MB or ATI® Radeon® HD2900 512 MB, Shader 3.0 Required
    Sound: DirectX® 9.0c compatible
    Hard Drive: 9 GB or more available hard drive space
    Disc Drive: DVD-ROM drive
    Input: Keyboard and Mouse or Xbox 360® compatible controller
    Direct X:DirectX® 9.0c

NOW look at crysis requirments.
    recommended
    CPU: Core 2 Duo/Athlon X2 or better
    RAM: 1.5GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA 7800 Series, ATI Radeon 1800 Series or better
    VRAM: 512MB of Graphics Memory
    Storage: 12GB
    Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
    ODD: DVD-ROM
    DirectX: DX9.0c or DX10

funny how crysis is the best graphics out there and ghostbusters are more.

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DerekDanahy

All publishers see are charts with numbers on them.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    @iam3green: The Crysis specs though really understate the game, a 7800GTX a "recommended" GPU.... NO. Just NO!
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Akeldama

i have read reports of the contrary. In reality, the PS3 is earier to work with than the 360. 

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Akeldama
    @eckster: i should probably post the 13 developer's accounts of working with the ps3. They all say its a better experiance. 
    Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Expletive

Is GOD a 360 fanboy?......think about it

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The general overall consensus from everybody woh aren't in Sony's pocket (Sucker Punch, Guerilla etc) Is that aside from the PS3 being more time consuming and harder to work with, they're development tools are alot more expensive.
    Couple this with the smaller install base and discontent with Sony's overall arrogance after the success of the PS2, most companies focus on the 360 release, then think about the PS3 version and the breadcrumbs that are left go to the Wii when it comes to multiplats.

Valve (One of the developer who are pretty well respected in all communities with a smidge of appreciation of game design) absolutely hate the PS3 and refuse to cave into Sony's insistence on making the PS3 a trojan horse for Blu-ray first and game system second.
    The only games I have on my PS3 are either exclusives or PSN games. Though me being an achievement whore is as much as a big deal as inferior ports.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By C0V3RT

@eckster said:

"@Akeldama said:
    " @eckster: i should probably post the 13 developer's accounts of working with the ps3. They all say its a better experiance.  "
    As i should maybe post the 24 developer's accounts who worked on the PS3. They all said it was more difficult.
    "

Better experience and easier work on are totally different things.

I've heard that Microsoft can be difficult to deal with but ultiamtely working on the 360 is easier.  It may be easier to work with Sony but I've heard it's challenging developing for the PS3.
    Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jerr
    @eckster: Trust me, I know Akeldama is a raging ps3 fanboy and will do anything to promote it. He refuses to face reality
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Reuben said:
    "Probably just because it's easier to work with, I don't think publishers are fanboys. The PS2 was the console to go to before and that was from Sony. "

This.

These topics are fucking stupid, and the only thing they 'reveal' is the OP's stupidity.

The 360 is easier to work with, cheaper to publish for, and has a bigger install base. Theres no rabid fanboy-ism there, it's just a fucking no brainer. Last time around it was the PS2, and for the handheld it's the DS. Not to mention Microsoft are much friendlier to developers and publishers than either Sony or Nintendo (unless you already have a long-time working relationship with Sony or Nintendo, in which case they will gladly support you)

In order to be a fanboy, one must exhibit irrational reasons for performing certain actions in support of a particular thing/product/etc. In this case it's the total fucking opposite end of the scale, publishers are no more Xbox fanboys than I am a cornflakes fanboy because I occasionally eat them for breakfast. I don't eat them because i'm a fanboy, I eat them because they are a breakfast cereal and happen to be the easiest option in the kitchen.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Im getting really tired of these threads.
    Who really gives a shit?

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Suicrat
    @ch13696: Cheaper to develop for, wider user base. That is why the PS2 dominated last generation, and why the 360 has a slight edge on the PS3 this generation.

Publishers aren't fanboys, they're concerned with cutting costs and maximizing profits.
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By slinky6

I've said this in every topic to do with fanboys.   Fanboys are irrational.   Preference of the 360 is rational on many levels.   Stop making topics.

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DeadMan
    @ch13696:
    Buy a 360, that's how.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By sjschmidt93

If by wanting more money makes them 360 fanboys, then yes.

Riesezzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Riesezzz

According to you, Everybody is a 360 fanboy

..............or heres a thought, STOP making dumb threads and cry some where else
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Fanboy, Troll, and noob are all so over used these days they hardly hold any true meaning.

theluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By theluma
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " If by wanting more money makes them 360 fanboys, then yes. "
    Amen.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By meptron

publishers are money fanboys

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By weltal

Yes. Publishers, despite the misleading evidence to the contrary, don't care about money. All publishers care about is indulging personal preferences at the expense of the bottom line, just so they can lord it over Sony and tell them how much they suck. They then chug a beer and fist bump their buddies and tea bag the Sony representative. It's a rough business.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @DerekDanahy said:
    " All publishers see are charts with numbers on them. "
    Truth.  This goes for most businesses.
    jv78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jv78

I dont think they are fan boys. They can get a better return on the games they make from the 360. more 360's are in home's. Having friends that have or still are working for game makers will tell you that the 360 is just better to work with.  Also the fact that the 360's video card has more to push because it only needs to give up little ram for the OS. Making games for the 360s is a lot like making games for PC's. I'm not going to say what is a better game system but the 360 is better to work with. Sony should have thought to make it better for devs to make games for. But they are in the mind set that thay are Sony and every one will make money off the name even if it takes a long time to make games for. How ever. We are long past that point and they should know how to deal with the PS3.

Poppycock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Poppycock

Same thing happened last generation. Xbox has more power, but its pointless as everyone will design for the PS2 as it was a less complex machine, out for a longer time, and sold better

SgtThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SgtThom
    @ch13696 said:
    " So basically it's too late for the PS3? Yes the 360 came out first and it had more stuff on the system from the start.
    Please don't cow system wars logic here
    SgtThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SgtThom
    @Poppycock said:

" Same thing happened last generation. Xbox has more power, but its pointless as everyone will design for the PS2 as it was a less complex machine, out for a longer time, and sold better "

LOL WUT the xbox was more easier to make games for.Get your facts right.Oh yeah the 360 have a better gpu than the ps3  
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2453.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.