Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

B Button becoming unresponsive

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Iodine

So I have had my main controller (ie wireless) for about 6 months now, and the B button is starting to feel well.... off. It's much more sluggish than on my wired one, and it takes a second for it to come back up. It isnt a bother when I play XCOM or similar games, but in any game that requires really quick button presses I am fucked with it. I would use my wired controller more, but with the way my dorm room is situated it usually puts me in an awkward position space wise. Any tips on how to fix it, or should I just get a new controller during the holiday sales?

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Robinson

usb extension cable, controllers only last so long

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

Try replacing the battery's, it really shouldn't matter, but Its worth a shot.

I doubt you will be able to fix it, you could try taking it apart and try cleaning it. I have never done that so I don't actually know if that's possible, or how risky that is. But generally I think you are SOL.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By _Zombie_

How long have you had the controller? If it's been in use for a long time, it's not entirely impossible that the button is just finally jamming up.

Edit: Missed the 6 months bit. Yeah, like other people are suggesting, unless you feel comfortable taking it apart, just get a new one.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

If the controller's still under warranty, you might be able to get it replaced.

However, if you're comfortable with taking apart electronics, you might be able to open up the controller and see what's going on. Maybe there's some gunk stuck in there or something. I'd imagine that there'd be at least a few tutorials about taking apart controllers on YouTube or somewhere.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

Wireless controllers have, for me, always started fucking up after a few months in. And it's always the sticks first. Without fail, they stop completely centering and are pretty damn loose feeling for the most part.

My wired controller - my only wired controller, the only one I've ever owned - is a different story. I've had it since Christmas 2007 and it has not failed me a single time. Through thick, thin, and throwings, it has not stopped once. So get a USB extension cable.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Amducious

@Robinson said:

Yup, that's what I do. Lighter controller, no battery concerns and it may be just me, but I felt there was a slight lag with the wireless controller compared to the wired one I now use with the usb extension.

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Robinson

@Dick_Mohawk said:

@Robinson said:

Yup, that's what I do. Lighter controller, no battery concerns and it may be just me, but I felt there was a slight lag with the wireless controller compared to the wired one I now use with the usb extension.

ive def noticed lag with my inputs on the wireless, but the wired is always fast as can be and never having to charge it is just plain awesome

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By nintendoeats

Do you mean that physically the button takes a moment to pop back up? If that's the case, its probably a simple matter of opening it up with a screwdriver and washing the button. Obviously you have to be careful not to lose anything, but assuming you aren't a massive idiot there is no risk of damaging the controller. I bought a wireless 360 controller at Value Village for 2 bucks once, and once I washed the buttons and swapped the analog sticks for the ones from an old controller S it was perfect.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Iodine

@nintendoeats said:

Do you mean that physically the button takes a moment to pop back up? If that's the case, its probably a simple matter of opening it up with a screwdriver and washing the button. Obviously you have to be careful not to lose anything, but assuming you aren't a massive idiot there is no risk of damaging the controller. I bought a wireless 360 controller at Value Village for 2 bucks once, and once I washed the buttons and swapped the analog sticks for the ones from an old controller S it was perfect.

This might be mistake, however I will try

And yeah I have had this controller for a bit, but not all that long, I guess I just got unlucky. Ah well I can just get one during sale madness if it goes tits up

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nintendoeats

@Iodine: Well if you do have any trouble I will do my best to guide you through the process. Not that I'm an expert or anything.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Kyle

I second opening the controller and washing it. There's just a build-up of gunk on the button or something. Soap and water should make short work of it. Simple.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.