Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Disc read error during game installation

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jedted

After i got my xbox replaced i found out i had to re-install all the games on my HDD and one of the games i had installed was Mass Effect.  I deleted the game from my HDD and tried to re-install it but everytime i do i keep getting a disc read error. 

I cleaned my disc and tried it again but it still won't let me install it.  I did play the game from the disc and loaded up one of my saves so i'm not sure it's a problem with the HDD or my disc is just damaged beyond repair. 

Has this ever happened to anyone? 

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ShadowKiller

This happened to my friend with a copy of Halo 3 that he severely scratched. I suggest getting a loan of a copy and installing that so then you can use your own.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jedted

Hmm, i hadn't played ME that recently so i didn't think was to scratched up but maybe i'll see if i can get a replacement disc if that's the problem. 

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum

I've had this happen to a few games I've gotten from GameFly. They might have the occasional freeze and I will decide to just install it to my HDD, and countless of times, the installation will simply fail. Each game has a certain percentage it would have stopped at. I did this on my own with Fight Night Round 4 by accident, by banging on my desk hard enough to cause my X360 to start making loud noises.

Lesson(s) learned: Install the games you rent online before you start playing them, and don't bang on your desk and destroy the discs for other gamers.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

Once it's installed you just need the disk in to run it.
    If a friend's got it, borrow theirs, install it, give it them back.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By slinky6

happened to me too.   I think it's that my new 360's disc drive is crap.   So I bought it on steam.   Gotta have my Mass Effect.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jedted

Just to reiterate what i said in my OP, i can still play from the disc but i've just gotten so used to installing all my 360 games and having the silent disc drive. 

What bothers me is that i take great care of all my game discs and it seems like it's the 360's dvd drive that causes the scratches. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.