Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Disc reading error issues.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I just got a new game about 3 days ago. On the first day I started playing it on my 360, I was already starting to get disc reading errors. I now get them quite frequently when I play that game (1+ times an hour). I've had disc read errors in the past but not this frequent or on a game that didn't have any scratches at all. Is it most likely a problem with my console?

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bullet_Jr

It depends, how old is your 360? I have a "first run" 360 so it's one of the older models.

I'm having the same problem with my 360 and Skate 2 (not sure if it's a hardware or software issue).

I recently upgraded my 360 to use the new interface, I think that might be part of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last week my 360 started having lotsa disc read errors and eventually gave me a E71 message.
    I unplugged it and took off the harddrive, then I plugged it back together and played without the harddrive on, which worked just fine. Then I attached the harddrive and everything was hunky dory again. You might give that a try.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OneEyedNinja7
    Bullet_Jr said:
    "It depends, how old is your 360? I have a "first run" 360 so it's one of the older models.

I'm having the same problem with my 360 and Skate 2 (not sure if it's a hardware or software issue).

I recently upgraded my 360 to use the new interface, I think that might be part of it."
    It's from about April 07. However, I recently (less than a month ago) got a new TV stand that I think may not be allowing enough air to circulate around my 360, causing it to possibly overheat.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bullet_Jr said:
    "I'm having the same problem with my 360 and Skate 2 (not sure if it's a hardware or software issue).."
    Dude, my problems started when I began playing Skate 2 as well. A buddy of mine's 360 has also been kinda wonky after starting on Skate 2.
    My common sense is tingling, there may be a pattern here.
    Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bullet_Jr
    TeflonBilly said:
    "Bullet_Jr said:
    "I'm having the same problem with my 360 and Skate 2 (not sure if it's a hardware or software issue).."
    Dude, my problems started when I began playing Skate 2 as well. A buddy of mine's 360 has also been kinda wonky after starting on Skate 2.
    My common sense is tingling, there may be a pattern here."
    The game is mad glitchy and often freezes during loading or starting challenges.

Personally,I think the game plays like it was rushed. I've been turning off my 360 for a while then reloading the game.

Though a funny thing happened to me last night: I put the Skate2 disc in my 360 and powered the console up. Usually my 360 will say "Play Skate 2" but instead read "Play DVD". I played the disc and got an error message.
    OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

BTW, the game I referred to in my original post is Gears 2.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By crusnchill

There is hidden secret (I don't know if this is as secret as I believe, but what the hey!) but true answer to this. I found out about this while I was recieving the notorious disc read error that shows up, for some, half way through 'Star Wars: The Force unleashed' after turning it off and then back on a few hour's later

Solution that worked for me was this:

When you're in your XBOX 360 dashboard go to system settings, go into your memory section, press (A) on your desired hard drive (it's easy, there should only be one, lol.) and now press (Y).
    DON'T press format OR rename.
    Simply press: (X), (X), (LB), (RB), (X), (X).
    This will start a hard-drive maintenance process and should hopefully stop your 'disc read error message' from messing up your gaming hour's. Make sure you print/write this down. I do this every friday morning before I go to work and haven't recieved the message since.
    (I think it's like a defrag for the PC.)
    Also, even if this process dosn't seem relevant try it anyway.

Edit********** I just followed the link from the guy above me (Thanks goes to AnimZero) his link says basicly what I just typed. I personally didn't know that it cleared your xbox 360 cache, well you learn something new every day.
    To those gamer's who aren't technically minded, like me, this will mean that all xbox updates for whichever games you have will be removed. (just to reiterate: updates, NOT game add-ons like operation anchorage and the like.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.