Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm Impressions

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Alexander
    Twitter

A quite useless addition. One key reason being that you can't follow links of any kind - no surprise there, the 360 doesn't have browser support, but I hadn't fully realised how crippling that could be until I opened my account on my 360. Almost everyone I follow links to one thing or another, the exception being where one wants to tell me how good the sandwich they just had was and even then if they want to show me a photo of how well they stacked it - they can't. the other main point is that Twitter, for most users I would suspect and certainly for myself, is not something you do exclusively. By that I mean you Tweet and read Tweets while doing something else, whether that be browsing Giant Bomb or on your commute to work. When you use Twitter on the 360, Twitter is all you can do.

Facebook

It's nice going through photos on the large screen. It's a shame the resolution is so low. Other than this Facebook on the 360 fails because it doesn't have a wall. It's been stripped down, as far as I can see, to being a photo and status feed browser. Even the status feeds are a pain: you know how going through Live friends is a pain in the ass unless you do it via the Guide Button? Well it's the same thing here and browsing status updates shoehorned onto the NXE design is just bad. It's really bad. You can't send people messages, you can't view video, you can't use Facebook chat. The one good thing is that there aren't any ads, nor should there be for this bare-bones piece of uselessness.

Last.fm

Last.fm is probably the most useful and functional out of the three. Having a jukebox in the living room could prove useful and the sound quality is pretty ok - I'd suspect 128kbps as it is over the last.fm website. Twitter and Facebook are about what I expected, Last.fm on the other hand has ads; something I was not expecting at all. As a user of Last.fm for some time, I've enjoyed listening to my recommendations and other people's radio stations ad free on my PC with no subscription. Spotify has ads, and I'm ok with that (although less so these days as the ads seem to be getting longer and more frequent) because it functions more like a media player with a massive library than a radio station. Last.fm shares the same problem with Twitter in that using Last.fm is all you can do, I don't normally sit down and just listen to music and there isn't an option here to play your stations while in-game.

All in all I'm quite indifferent if a little disappointed. Perhaps I will find further use and hopefully there is added functionality and an overhaul in design where needed coming in the future. Is there anything I've missed?
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Alexander
    Twitter

A quite useless addition. One key reason being that you can't follow links of any kind - no surprise there, the 360 doesn't have browser support, but I hadn't fully realised how crippling that could be until I opened my account on my 360. Almost everyone I follow links to one thing or another, the exception being where one wants to tell me how good the sandwich they just had was and even then if they want to show me a photo of how well they stacked it - they can't. the other main point is that Twitter, for most users I would suspect and certainly for myself, is not something you do exclusively. By that I mean you Tweet and read Tweets while doing something else, whether that be browsing Giant Bomb or on your commute to work. When you use Twitter on the 360, Twitter is all you can do.

Facebook

It's nice going through photos on the large screen. It's a shame the resolution is so low. Other than this Facebook on the 360 fails because it doesn't have a wall. It's been stripped down, as far as I can see, to being a photo and status feed browser. Even the status feeds are a pain: you know how going through Live friends is a pain in the ass unless you do it via the Guide Button? Well it's the same thing here and browsing status updates shoehorned onto the NXE design is just bad. It's really bad. You can't send people messages, you can't view video, you can't use Facebook chat. The one good thing is that there aren't any ads, nor should there be for this bare-bones piece of uselessness.

Last.fm

Last.fm is probably the most useful and functional out of the three. Having a jukebox in the living room could prove useful and the sound quality is pretty ok - I'd suspect 128kbps as it is over the last.fm website. Twitter and Facebook are about what I expected, Last.fm on the other hand has ads; something I was not expecting at all. As a user of Last.fm for some time, I've enjoyed listening to my recommendations and other people's radio stations ad free on my PC with no subscription. Spotify has ads, and I'm ok with that (although less so these days as the ads seem to be getting longer and more frequent) because it functions more like a media player with a massive library than a radio station. Last.fm shares the same problem with Twitter in that using Last.fm is all you can do, I don't normally sit down and just listen to music and there isn't an option here to play your stations while in-game.

All in all I'm quite indifferent if a little disappointed. Perhaps I will find further use and hopefully there is added functionality and an overhaul in design where needed coming in the future. Is there anything I've missed?
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

The Twitter functionality looks pretty useless, frankly. I agree with your points as well as the inability to properly @reply and such. Facebook also seems to have a lot of problems as well as an overall clunky interface. I haven't tried out Last.fm yet but hopefully that lives up to the positive buzz it's had. It definitely looks the most promising of the three.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Last.fm is definately the best of the bunch.

Although the biggest update this year comes in the form of the Sky Player for us in the UK later this month.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

As a Pandora user, I am unfamiliar with how Last.fm works.  I should probably look into it at some point. 

KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @PenguinDust said:
    " As a Pandora user, I am unfamiliar with how LastFM works.  I should probably look into it at some point.  "
    I'm pretty sure they do exactly the same thing.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By iam3green

cool post. i've been kind of looking at this update. it's exclusive to gold members from what i have heard. i'm silver so i can't use any of it. from what u have said about all of them it sounds like they are useless. i would use facebook on the computer instead of a 360. i don't use twitter or last.FM so it doesn't matter.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @creamypies said:
    " Last.fm is definately the best of the bunch.  Although the biggest update this year comes in the form of the Sky Player for us in the UK later this month. "
    dude yes . I still don't fully understand what is happening about that btw and how it will work .
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @turbomonkey138: I'd imagine if you're already a Sky owner. You'd need to pay £10 for the multiroom deal. Whereas if you're not a Sky customer... I reckon you'll have to pay nearly full whack.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @creamypies said:
    " @turbomonkey138: I'd imagine if you're already a Sky owner. You'd need to pay £10 for the multiroom deal. Whereas if you're not a Sky customer... I reckon you'll have to pay nearly full whack. "
    Good news for me then i already user sky :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.