Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Great, Xbox Live now thinks I live in South Africa.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By vager

So, I was looking for the option to stop the auto-renew on xbox.com and I clicked on the "account migration" link. Like the rest of the internet I don't read everything on a page. It asked me to pick a language out of 6. I had no clue what the other 5 were, but there was "South African English". Thinking this was just going to change the language on the site I clicked "Next". After this I realized I was not in the right area to change the auto-renew option, so I went back.  

Now I did not realize what I have done until I logged into XBL. I want to purchase some ms points and noticed I was charging me in "Rand" (South African Currency).   
    I then starting looking through the arcade games, there are only 5 games available: Snoopy Flying Ace, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Dead Space: Ignition, A Kingdom of Keflings and Trails HD. 
    I fucking purchased 8x more games then what the marketplace has to offer.

I can only migrate my account every 12 months, so I emailed Xbox Support asking for the change to be reversed. 
    This is what I got:  

As I understand it, you migrate your account to the incorrect country. You also want to turn off the auto renewal of your account. I know how disappointing this issue might have been.

When you migrate your account, please be informed that:
    . Some services may not be available in your country. 
    . Previously purchased or downloaded content (e.g. videos, games, add-ons) will not be downloadable again after migration. Note, however, that previously purchased content is not refundable and there is no guarantee it will work post migration. 

. The account migration process is not reversible. 

. Account migration can only be performed once in a 12 month period. 
    . Movies and TV purchased from Zune Marketplace will not be available for streaming or re-download in the region to which you migrate. 
    . There are no refunds for content you purchased prior to migration that is not available to you after migration. 

Not all features of Xbox LIVE are available in all markets - for example, Zune marketplace, Facebook, Last.fm and Twitter are not available at the current time in all markets.    
    They are basically telling me to go fuck myself. Honestly, it only takes 1 page and a language drop down menu to do a massive irreversible change your account. 
    I emailed them back saying I didn't understand how it was not reversible, but will be in 12 months. There must be a way for them by-bass the 12 month limit. 
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DoctorWelch

Wow that is pretty fucking retarded. Even though you were the one that made the mistake, it sounds like its a pretty easy mistake to make if you dont know exactly what your doing.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hockeymask27

For now I guess you could make a new account let your old on go sliver so you can still have drm for all your purchases for the 12 months. But yes this is so dumb.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

Wow, that sucks ass. Why the hell is everything that runs on Xbox Live so technical? You have to pay to change your gamertag, you have to keep a credit card on your account at all times, or you can only migrate your account every 12 months.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @LordXavierBritish: Son of a bitch beat me to it.
    EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By EchoForge

@ch13696: 
    you have to keep a credit card on your account at all times

I don't know about that. I've been using Live for a few years, and all I do is buy cards to renew my Gold account, and I buy points on cards, too. Yep, I'm one of those psycho "no way I'm having my credit card info in there" people.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Try phoning them and getting angry. That usually makes people listen.

Either that, or move to South Africa. 

Your choice.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

Yeah just call. The customer is always right, and they'll suck your dick until you get what you want. Show them who is boss.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By coryrx8

Wow, I honestly didn't even notice that there were multiple dialects of English that you could choose from on XBL. Why they would tie the dialect and region selection together that tightly is a little silly... is it unreasonable to expect someone from the UK but living in the US to want to use UK spelling or vice-versa? I would recommend that you just keeping escalating on this issue. You know that there's no technical reason why Microsoft can't change your region, so really you just have to talk to the right person to get this fixed. Good luck.
    DarkHeroZark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DarkHeroZark

Just for future reference, You can EASILY remove your credit card from Xbox Live, which in turn should cancel auto-renew. Just go HERE

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ch13696
    @EchoForge said:
    "

@ch13696: 
    you have to keep a credit card on your account at all times

I don't know about that. I've been using Live for a few years, and all I do is buy cards to renew my Gold account, and I buy points on cards, too. Yep, I'm one of those psycho "no way I'm having my credit card info in there" people.

"
    When I first got my 360 I didn't know I can get cards to start a subscription. Now that I know, I tried deleting my credit card on the account, but it won't let me. So it's one of those "once you do it, there's no getting rid of it" situations.
    Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sogeman

Well, what to say. 

1. Call them

2. Your own fault, no pity

3. ;) 

4.  Kaiji feels with you

No Caption Provided
    michaelsuen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By michaelsuen

Yeah, i've actually heard from a friend that shouting angrily down the phone works...  Good luck!!! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You know, if you had bothered to take about half a minute to read the page, you would have known exactly what was going on.

I don't like this "OH GOD I DIDN'T BOTHER TO READ THE WARNINGS YOU PROVIDED AND NOW EVERYTHING HAS GONE TO SHIT! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! FIX IT NOW!" mentality that seems to be developing in modern society.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Deathawk
    @DarkHeroZark said:

" Just for future reference, You can EASILY remove your credit card from Xbox Live, which in turn should cancel auto-renew. Just go HERE.  "

I've heard stories about MS sending collection agencies after people who try this, so I wouldn't make many assumptions here...
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Khann said:
    "You know, if you had bothered to take about half a minute to read the page, you would have known exactly what was going on.  I don't like this "OH GOD I DIDN'T BOTHER TO READ THE WARNINGS YOU PROVIDED AND NOW EVERYTHING HAS GONE TO SHIT! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! FIX IT NOW!" mentality that seems to be developing in modern society.

"

this....  But yeah call em and complain they should be able to reverse it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.